Grado Fan Club!
Jan 18, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #121 of 65,648

Quote:
For my ears theSR325's kicked the SR225 to the curb. Do the mods, use a warm amp and the 325 is heavenly.

I did not mod my SR325is, but I did use my MAD amp (warm and tubey...especially with the 5751 Sovtek power tube), but to no avail with my ears. Maybe I'm overly sensitive to the SR325is' treble, but overall I preferred the SR225i. YMMV of course.

Jan 18, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #122 of 65,648

Quote:
Quote:
Do they need more burn in? Anything I can do to remove that "veil" sound?

Try swapping the comfies for the bowls (L instead of S cusions).

I might just have to!

Quote:

If I remember right, the sr60 come with comfy pads right? If that's the case, throw on some bowls and you should hear quite a difference! And then after that, the taped bowl mod is my pad of choice. Comfies are known to muddy up the sound...

Yeah they come with the comfy pads. 

I remember something from a few years ago where people would take those ugly yellow pads that Radioshack sells and cut holes in them and use them on their SR-60s. Anyone know about that? 

Jan 18, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #123 of 65,648
Quote:
Yeah they come with the comfy pads. 

I remember something from a few years ago where people would take those ugly yellow pads that Radioshack sells and cut holes in them and use them on their SR-60s. Anyone know about that? 

Yeh man! not a bad idea... but it's not the same as bowls, but will definitely add more definition. What I would do as a right-now solution, is do the quarter cut in your comfies for now. I couldn't stand the comfies without the hole cuz everything sounded way too muddy. For a little while I used to think that the holy comfy was my pad of choice, until I went back to the taped bowls.

Simply just take a quarter, place it in the center of your comfy pad, and cut around it with an exacto-knife. If you have a razor blade that works too, just don't use scissors cuz it turns out looking like crap. You should notice a big difference right away, especially in the highs.

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #124 of 65,648

Quote:
I brought my sr80is to school, and this chick who sits behind me said "are you listening to Rage Against The Machine?" I turned around and asked her if she wanted to listen. She told me they looked weird and she had the most disgusted face on. All that changed when I hit play. All she said to me was, "those are really nice headphones" while she was smiling. Great success! 

epic win?

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #125 of 65,648

Quote:
Quote:
I brought my sr80is to school, and this chick who sits behind me said "are you listening to Rage Against The Machine?" I turned around and asked her if she wanted to listen. She told me they looked weird and she had the most disgusted face on. All that changed when I hit play. All she said to me was, "those are really nice headphones" while she was smiling. Great success! 

epic win?

I would say so...

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #126 of 65,648

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

epic win?

I would say so...

I second the epic win. :)

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #127 of 65,648
Sigh ... guys, again, we probably dont need to copy the last page anew to post a single line comment on our school chum's epic win. Call me old fashioned, but lets spare a thought for the folk trying to scroll through this thread on a phone somewhere.

Yes, I am from the thread police, and I have reported each and every one of you to Commandant Eric.  :)

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #128 of 65,648
Count me in! Grado  SR-225i owner for almost 2 weeks now.... 
happy_face1.gif

The sound is getting better and better with each minute they are breaking in. 

Looking forward to get an amp that warms the sound a little. Maybe Little Dot 1+.

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #129 of 65,648
Quote:
Count me in! Grado  SR-225i owner for almost 2 weeks now.... 
happy_face1.gif

The sound is getting better and better with each minute they are breaking in. 

Looking forward to get an amp that warms the sound a little. Maybe Little Dot 1+.

Little Dot I+ should be a good match! That was my next in line if I didn't get my Mapletree. I just recently got my Mapletree, and I'm addicted.

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #130 of 65,648
I got my Alessandro MS-1's a couple weeks ago and I am enjoying them much more than my HD555's. I think I may just sell them. I am currently in the process in 1000ing the MS-1 to open up the soundstage and get a little more bass. Plus it will add to the comfort, which is a huge plus for the HD555's. I went ahead and got a JMoney headband it it is fantastic and beautiful. Just waiting on the distancers and the pads and I'll be in heaven.

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #131 of 65,648
New SR-125i owner

Glad I got them, noticing a small change in the sound... but I wonder how broken in these are already seeing how they were a lightly used display pair.

Anybody know of a good DIY amp that's relatively cheap (other than a cMoy) that would do well with my 125i's?? Portable or Desktop (definitely need a desktop one sooner or later though), doesn't matter to me, these things aren't going anywhere for awhile, I'm gonna baby them as usual until I've enjoyed them in the quietness of my house a little while longer :)

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #133 of 65,648

Quote:
I bought a pair of grado sr80's in a trip to NY last year with my school and so far i freakin love it
darthsmile.gif
Maybe i will buy a pair of RS1 but hard to find one at an affordable price in europe
biggrin.gif

Get them from the US. I bought mine from US off a well known auction site. Just remember to ask the seller to put 'second hand headphones & put cost at about £200' on docs or you'll get stung by customs like I did (an extra £75 very ouch!).

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #134 of 65,648

Quote:
So, this seems the perfect place to discuss amping. How do the grado's respond to a tube amp? How do they do with the Little Dot amps specifically? If grado and tube go together so well, why does the schiit asgard claim to be thor's divine gift to Grado (Ok, so I ad-lib'd a bit, but I had to run with the Norse mythology bit there). How do the Grado's sound off of the Starving Student Millet Hybrid? Is any of this worth it for a pair of modded SR60's? Do Grado's open up more with a DAC? Which is more improvement (DAC or amp)?

I have tried the E9 but it was faulty so can't comment. I can however comment on the LD mk3 valve with a dacmagic connected. This is a friends set-up, I loved the warmth that the valves added. I to have looked at the schiit amps amp like the look of them but would not buy it with 1st hearing it as I would happily buy the LD after hearing it, it was really nice with my RS-1's and 225's (thinking of selling the 225's to fund the purchase of an LD amp and pos LD dac). I am also considering just getting a very good portable amp as I am not always in 1 room when listening ? Anyone got any views on a portable amp with RS-1's ? Thinking Ray Samuals purely due to the support they get on here so would like some user opinions.

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #135 of 65,648

Quote:
Quote:

epic win?

Soooo epic!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back