Grado Fan Club!
Jan 18, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #107 of 65,638
I have a question for all you Grado fans. Is the 225i a worthy upgrade from the 80i? If so, what are the biggest obvious differences in the sound?

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #108 of 65,638

Quote:
I have a question for all you Grado fans. Is the 225i a worthy upgrade from the 80i? If so, what are the biggest obvious differences in the sound?

I think so absolutely...and the next Grado to upgrade from the 225i is the RS1i. Over the 80, the 225i is more refined with better bass definition and impact, more liquid mids and better treble.

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #109 of 65,638

Quote:
Quote:

I think so absolutely...and the next Grado to upgrade from the 225i is the RS1i. Over the 80, the 225i is more refined with better bass definition and impact, more liquid mids and better treble.

Rad! Another question, have you heard the Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm version? I was looking on Amazon and that is only about 15 dollars more, and I think I need to eventually give other companies a chance. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #110 of 65,638

Quote:
Another question, have you heard the Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm version? I was looking on Amazon and that is only about 15 dollars more, and I think I need to eventually give other companies a chance.
biggrin.gif

How about that, Panges - another Grado fanboy succumbing to the lure of Team Beyerdynamic ! I'm texting John Grado as I type this - its a disturbing trend :)

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #111 of 65,638

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Rad! Another question, have you heard the Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm version? I was looking on Amazon and that is only about 15 dollars more, and I think I need to eventually give other companies a chance. 
biggrin.gif

I did own the DT770/600. It is a very different headphone from the SR225i. Is it better? I prefer the SR225i if I could only own one. But I listen to a lot of rock music.
L3000.gif
And Grados are very special with rock.

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #112 of 65,638

Quote:
Quote:
Another question, have you heard the Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm version? I was looking on Amazon and that is only about 15 dollars more, and I think I need to eventually give other companies a chance.
biggrin.gif

How about that, Panges - another Grado fanboy succumbing to the lure of Team Beyerdynamic ! I'm texting John Grado as I type this - its a disturbing trend :)

Hah! This is common? I was totally unaware. I wonder why?

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #113 of 65,638

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I did own the DT770/600. It is a very different headphone from the SR225i. Is it better? I prefer the SR225i if I could only own one. But I listen to a lot of rock music.
L3000.gif

I was thinking that the 770 might be a better all arounder, but I do listen to rock and metal for 90% of the time. I guess I'm just curious. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #114 of 65,638

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif

L3000.gif

I was thinking that the 770 might be a better all arounder, but I do listen to rock and metal for 90% of the time. I guess I'm just curious. 

The DT880/600 would be the beyer to get in that range IMO. The DT770s are nice closed cans and quite balanced. But if you listen to rock/metal 90% of the time...I would suggest the SR225i.

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #115 of 65,638

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif

L3000.gif

The DT880/600 would be the beyer to get in that range IMO. The DT770s are nice closed cans and quite balanced. But if you listen to rock/metal 90% of the time...I would suggest the SR225i.

Sounds like a plan. I think I will order them within a couple of weeks. I think my skepticism lied in wondering if they were going to be too similar to my 80is. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #116 of 65,638

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif

L3000.gif

Sounds like a plan. I think I will order them within a couple of weeks. I think my skepticism lied in wondering if they were going to be too similar to my 80is. 

They both sound like Grados, no doubt, but to my ears, the SR225i just improved on everything. I would suggest you steer clear of the SR325is (when your next upgrade pangs hit) without hearing them first. I "upgraded" and was caught off guard with the rather hot treble. Within a month they were quickly sold off for the RS1s. I haven't looked back since.

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #117 of 65,638

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif

L3000.gif

They both sound like Grados, no doubt, but to my ears, the SR225i just improved on everything. I would suggest you steer clear of the SR325is (when your next upgrade pangs hit) without hearing them first. I "upgraded" and was caught off guard with the rather hot treble. Within a month they were quickly sold off for the RS1s. I haven't looked back since.

I have always planned on eventually getting the RS1s down the road, and knew that I wouldn't get the 325is without hearing them prior to purchase. My ears are very sensitive to treble, so the 325is have always been on my "watch out" list. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #119 of 65,638
Yeah, I'm done now. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #120 of 65,638
For my ears theSR325's kicked the SR225 to the curb. Do the mods, use a warm amp and the 325 is heavenly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back