Grado Fan Club!
Jan 18, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #91 of 65,649
I think Grados and tubes go together like PB&J. It just works and works good. I love the synergy of my Little Dot 1+ and Grados. Of course I don't have anything to compare with. I am buying a SS amp soon so I am curious on trying that with the Grados. I think the Grados do well with a warmish set up to help cut the brightness a little. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #92 of 65,649

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I ordered a set of RS1i for my birthday last week, and they should be arriving on Tuesday. Really really excited! :D

I have RS2i's that should be here in a day or two. 
smile_phones.gif

Along the lines of what the other guys said... You both should definitely be looking forward to getting these! I just recently joined the Grado fan club, and it's a club I stand very firmly behind! (Especially paired with a Mapletree amp... Holy cow!)

I'm looking forward to these so much, I've been staring at the front door to my office for the past 20 minutes. Can the UPS guy possibly take any longer to come?!?!? lol.

Now after reading your post and remembering your profile pic, I just realized you commented on adding this along side your 650's in another thread, while I am doing the same thing, but vice versa!

Nice man! My 650's just got shipped today so I'll be seeing them by thursday or friday.

PS. GO Giants!

haha. Congrats! If your tastes are like mine, you'll like the HD650 quite a bit. They've been my #1 go-to phone ever since I got them. All my other headphones just sit in the closet in their boxes. lol. I should probably get off my butt and sell some of them.

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #93 of 65,649

Quote:
I think Grados and tubes go together like PB&J. It just works and works good. I love the synergy of my Little Dot 1+ and Grados. Of course I don't have anything to compare with. I am buying a SS amp soon so I am curious on trying that with the Grados. I think the Grados do well with a warmish set up to help cut the brightness a little. 

I've been using headphone output from my DAC/Pre-amp and its nice but the MP-301 with the awesome tube sound is incredible and dynamic, SS for whatever reason takes that away, the Fiio E5 I have also sounds excellent.

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #94 of 65,649
Just received my RS1i's and took a quick 10 min listen. I can't wait to get more listening in tonight, but I can already tell these are something special and definitely keepers. There's just something about them really sucks you into the music. :D

edit: I also want to note that they felt pretty comfortable on my head.. we'll see how it goes after a few hours tonight.

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #95 of 65,649
Quote:
I'm looking forward to these so much, I've been staring at the front door to my office for the past 20 minutes. Can the UPS guy possibly take any longer to come?!?!? lol.

Okay! So I'm sure you've gotten them by now, any first impressions, look/build wise?

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #96 of 65,649
So many Grado fanboys in this thread - I'm going to start a thread for the forgotten Beyer just to show you lot what you are missing out on ! 

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #97 of 65,649

Quote:
Quote:

Okay! So I'm sure you've gotten them by now, any first impressions, look/build wise?

Look 1 post above yours. :D

Mine came in really good shape. They look beautiful, with no blemishes on the wood housings at all. The little rod that adjusts up and down is a bit loose, alot looser than I recall the SR80i's being, but they don't move when I wear them on my head, so it's fine. 

From the 10 minutes I listened, I liked what I heard with them plugged into my 3rd gen iPod Touch + Headstage Arrow combo. I can definitely see myself enjoying these for quite a while. Still too early to note any real impressions, as it's a little noisy at my work. Even so, in some of the songs I listened to, it seemed like the instruments sort of overshadowed the vocals, which I'm not sure if that's really a good or bad thing. I'll see how it goes tonight when I get a good listening session in. :D

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #98 of 65,649
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Look 1 post above yours. :D

Mine came in really good shape. They look beautiful, with no blemishes on the wood housings at all. The little rod that adjusts up and down is a bit loose, alot looser than I recall the SR80i's being, but they don't move when I wear them on my head, so it's fine. 

From the 10 minutes I listened, I liked what I heard with them plugged into my 3rd gen iPod Touch + Headstage Arrow combo. I can definitely see myself enjoying these for quite a while. Still too early to note any real impressions, as it's a little noisy at my work. Even so, in some of the songs I listened to, it seemed like the instruments sort of overshadowed the vocals, which I'm not sure if that's really a good or bad thing. I'll see how it goes tonight when I get a good listening session in. :D

Nice man! It's definitely going to take a little bit of time to break em in but I'm sure you'll be stoked on them. And yeh man! Even out of an ipod they sound surprisingly good. Gotta love that reason behind low impedance headphones...

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #99 of 65,649

Quote:
So many Grado fanboys in this thread - I'm going to start a thread for the forgotten Beyer just to show you lot what you are missing out on ! 

When I had my Beyer DT-880/600's, I didn't like them very much. I loved how comfortable they were, but the mids/vocals seemed a bit recessed for me (although honestly, that may just be because I'm used to the Audio Technica sound with the really forward mids/vocals). 

Anyhoo... enjoy your empty Beyer thread, sucker!!!

haha jk. :)

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #100 of 65,649
Question time!

I've had a pair of Grado SR-60s for a couple of years now. Conveniently got them just a couple of months before the SR-60i was released! hah. When I got them I burned them in for about 40 hours and the sound didn't really change too much. To me they still sound a little muffled and veiled.

Do they need more burn in? Anything I can do to remove that "veil" sound?

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #101 of 65,649

Quote:

Try swapping the comfies for the bowls (L instead of S cusions).

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #102 of 65,649

Question time!

I've had a pair of Grado SR-60s for a couple of years now. Conveniently got them just a couple of months before the SR-60i was released! hah. When I got them I burned them in for about 40 hours and the sound didn't really change too much. To me they still sound a little muffled and veiled.

If I remember right, the sr60 come with comfy pads right? If that's the case, throw on some bowls and you should hear quite a difference! And then after that, the taped bowl mod is my pad of choice. Comfies are known to muddy up the sound...

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #103 of 65,649

Quote:

Its not empty - I have at least one 'friend' who happens to agree with me :)

Btw, I hate you for getting those RS1s before me. Green with envy for the sheer joy they will give you over the coming months. I would love to be able to compare a set with the Ms-Pro, but thats a fantasy for the day I win the Lottery.

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #104 of 65,649

Quote:
Quote:

Its not empty - I have at least one 'friend' who happens to agree with me :)

Btw, I hate you for getting those RS1s before me. Green with envy for the sheer joy they will give you over the coming months. I would love to be able to compare a set with the Ms-Pro, but thats a fantasy for the day I win the Lottery.

If it makes you feel better, it was my birthday last Friday, and I didn't really get any presents, so I had to buy my own. The RS1i's are actually my Christmas/Birthday/Getting straight A's present to myself. Also, I start school tomorrow, so I'm most likely going to be too busy to enjoy them much anyways. 

My girlfriend got me a present, but I like the RS1i's better than what she got me. But shhh! She doesn't have to know! :p

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #105 of 65,649
Dude, if you like headphones better than what your girlfriend is prepared to give you, I'd suggest that you realign your priorities  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back