Grado Fan Club!
Jan 17, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #76 of 65,631
So, this seems the perfect place to discuss amping. How do the grado's respond to a tube amp? How do they do with the Little Dot amps specifically? If grado and tube go together so well, why does the schiit asgard claim to be thor's divine gift to Grado (Ok, so I ad-lib'd a bit, but I had to run with the Norse mythology bit there). How do the Grado's sound off of the Starving Student Millet Hybrid? Is any of this worth it for a pair of modded SR60's? Do Grado's open up more with a DAC? Which is more improvement (DAC or amp)?

Jan 17, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #77 of 65,631

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm a retired guy= not alot of cash but I recently purchased some used SR60's and I'm hooked..like big time!!!
So which model should I save for thats clearly a step up??? Think old guy on Social Security has SR60's and is digging them should I say OK I'm set
or save for a better model. I don't know how they could get better by the way...Thanks

One lazy San Francisco afternoon three retired guys compared our MS1, SR325i, RS2is & RS1 phones & came to the conclusion that the SR325i is so close to the RS phones that if you can't afford to upgrade, you won't be missing much.

Some complain the 325's too bright. For older ears it may be just right.

Jan 17, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #78 of 65,631
I bought a pair of grado sr80's in a trip to NY last year with my school and so far i freakin love it
darthsmile.gif
Maybe i will buy a pair of RS1 but hard to find one at an affordable price in europe
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #79 of 65,631
I have been modding my SR60's and have some Woodies on the way care of Bilavideo, since I got these a week ago and started goofing with them I make a mod and compare to my Ultrasone Hfi700, and the Ultrasones always edged out the SR60's until I broke off the model# button and opened up the plastic screening, now the Grado's rule and the Ultrasone's are available for sale (if anyone wants them). My 12 year old son is here today for a visit and heard Grado's for the first time and loved them, a buddy from another forum I frequent is sending me his 125's so I'm all set.....I'll probably mod them too.....Its fun, I'm old, I need stufff to do....LOL

Jan 17, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #80 of 65,631

Quote:
So, this seems the perfect place to discuss amping. How do the grado's respond to a tube amp? How do they do with the Little Dot amps specifically? If grado and tube go together so well, why does the schiit asgard claim to be thor's divine gift to Grado (Ok, so I ad-lib'd a bit, but I had to run with the Norse mythology bit there). How do the Grado's sound off of the Starving Student Millet Hybrid? Is any of this worth it for a pair of modded SR60's? Do Grado's open up more with a DAC? Which is more improvement (DAC or amp)?

I'm looking into (tube)amps with Grado also. For what I've read, the Little Dot I+ has best synergy with Grado's / low impedance cans

Jan 17, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #81 of 65,631
I'm going to be trying my Little Dot MKIII and Headstage Arrow 12HE with my RS1i's when they arrive tomorrow. I really liked the SR80i's I had with the Headstage Arrow when i had those phones.

Jan 17, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #82 of 65,631
Musical Paradise is coming out with a MP-301 MKII in March according to the designer over on DIY. I bought my MP-301 used for $150 and it's an incredible headphone amp with my SR60's, as a matter of fact its also driving some JBL ND310II's I have and doing it effortlessly. It was to be used strictly as a headphone amp but now all bets are off. There is a whole community of folks that love these amps and make mods to them with the designers help...very cool stuff, I think they were like $200 new, so you may want to at least look into them...I think he said March.

Jan 17, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #83 of 65,631

Quote:
I ordered a set of RS1i for my birthday last week, and they should be arriving on Tuesday. Really really excited! :D

I have RS2i's that should be here in a day or two. 
smile_phones.gif

Jan 17, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #84 of 65,631
Jan 17, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #85 of 65,631
Jan 18, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #86 of 65,631
Quote:

Quote:
I ordered a set of RS1i for my birthday last week, and they should be arriving on Tuesday. Really really excited! :D

smile_phones.gif

Along the lines of what the other guys said... You both should definitely be looking forward to getting these! I just recently joined the Grado fan club, and it's a club I stand very firmly behind! (Especially paired with a Mapletree amp... Holy cow!)

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #87 of 65,631

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

smile_phones.gif

Along the lines of what the other guys said... You both should definitely be looking forward to getting these! I just recently joined the Grado fan club, and it's a club I stand very firmly behind! (Especially paired with a Mapletree amp... Holy cow!)

I'm looking forward to these so much, I've been staring at the front door to my office for the past 20 minutes. Can the UPS guy possibly take any longer to come?!?!? lol.

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #88 of 65,631

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

smile_phones.gif

I'm looking forward to these so much, I've been staring at the front door to my office for the past 20 minutes. Can the UPS guy possibly take any longer to come?!?!? lol.

Now after reading your post and remembering your profile pic, I just realized you commented on adding this along side your 650's in another thread, while I am doing the same thing, but vice versa!

Nice man! My 650's just got shipped today so I'll be seeing them by thursday or friday.

PS. GO Giants!

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #89 of 65,631
Hey guys, I'm not a Grado owner yet, but I have questions about them. (I've been eyeing the SR225i for weeks now).

How does the Grados do with music like Oasis, Sublime, Muse, Franz Ferdinand and other rock bands similar to them? Does Grado do well with rock music in general or only with certain sub-genres within rock?

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back