Grado Fan Club!
Apr 21, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #65,491 of 65,611
This being a quiet weekend with weather rather typical for April (right now its 8° Celsius, raining with some wind thrown in for good) I played around with some pads I have on load: Nyczaj

and two different variants from Dekoni:

Since I don't have two identical Grados available I can't give in-depth comparisons unfortunately, and changing pads takes too long to remember details (especially the Dekoni proved a tight fit). I used the RS1x I still have on loan

The Nyczaj pads work really well, changing sound signature not much but providing a bit more bass, without changing the overall balance too much. Smallest set of the three, yet very comfortable and soft, not scratchy in any way.

The Dekoni velour were really comfortable, but I did not like the changes to the sound signature they introduced: treble was too muted, overly warm and kind of muddy. Feels good to wear, very deep. Size is a bit comical on the RS1x.

The other Dekoni variant "Fenestrated Velour" works much better, more like the Nyczaj pads but deeper with a bit more room inside. Very comfortable. Again, size looks a bit comical...

My personal preference from left to right: Nyczaj, Dekoni Fenetrated, Dekoni Velour:

Still I have to say I really like the respective default pads on Grados. They obviously put a lot of thought into that selection, and I see them as part of the intended sound signature. Yet those 3rd party pads offer a different take (especially more comfortable than L pads) and allow to change the sound signature without any harm to the headphones.
I'll try them next on my RS-1 button, which currently has G pads installed.

Dekoni also offers measurements with their pads. I did not try the sheepskin variant, looks a bit extreme on there graphs anyway:
https://dekoniaudio.com/articles/dekoni-custom-series-for-grado-headphones/

Oh, and I decorated the wall beside my listening chair...

Appreciate the impressions and pics. I also use the same Ikea chair with matching ottoman in my audio rig.

IMG_3078.jpeg

I have some nyczaj pads in transit. I didnt realize the Dekoni pads were so large in comparison which to me is worrisome as a Flat pad fan. Hoping nyczaj provide a nice balance.

Your post inspired me to mod some cheap velour bowls. I removed the stock foam and replaced with much shallower foam (L-pads). The result is warmer sound than L-pad but without the skin grating itchy foam of L-pad, sortve what Im hoping of nyczaj.

IMG_3070.jpeg

IMG_3072.jpeg

Probably simpler and cheaper just to do tape mod. And I think nyczaj will be similar but look nicer.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #65,494 of 65,611
Does the color of the IKEA chair affect frequency response? The gray one looks like it would sound good. I can’t vouch for alternate chair colors.
I also have a blue one… will have to check for sound differences :wink:

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #65,495 of 65,611
Appreciate the impressions and pics. I also use the same Ikea chair with matching ottoman in my audio rig.

IMG_3078.jpeg

I have some nyczaj pads in transit. I didnt realize the Dekoni pads were so large in comparison which to me is worrisome as a Flat pad fan. Hoping nyczaj provide a nice balance.

Your post inspired me to mod some cheap velour bowls. I removed the stock foam and replaced with much shallower foam (L-pads). The result is warmer sound than L-pad but without the skin grating itchy foam of L-pad, sortve what Im hoping of nyczaj.

IMG_3070.jpeg
IMG_3072.jpeg

Probably simpler and cheaper just to do tape mod. And I think nyczaj will be similar but look nicer.
Playing around with various pads is quite fun, so far I like the Nyczaj pads best and consider getting a pair for my RS-1 button. They change the frequency response the least from the three sets I tried, just extending bass a bit and maybe reducing treble a bit. Definitely more comfortable than the L pads.

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #65,496 of 65,611
Does the color of the IKEA chair affect frequency response? The gray one looks like it would sound good. I can’t vouch for alternate chair colors.
The recline relaxes the highs and ottoman elevates the lows.
Color is more psychological effect modifying mood. I find grey blends in with background allowing better immersion into music.

Apr 21, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #65,497 of 65,611
This caused me to remember, possibly, that back at the end of the 80s Pioneer introduced an amplifier in which the internal wires were all grey. They said this was for better sound quality. I've just had a little search of the web for any info about this, is my memory correct? I think it was the Pioneer A 400, introduced in 1990 actually, but although I can find discussion about it here and there I don't see a reference to the internal grey wiring. As it used circuit boards, of course, I suspect there wasn't a lot of wiring to be grey in any case.

Apr 21, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #65,498 of 65,611
.... after a stint with RS-1x,
IMG_7883.jpeg
Schiit Vali 3 is bringing home the 🎼 goods with GH2. 👊🤪😀

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 12:03 AM Post #65,499 of 65,611
.... after a stint with RS-1x, IMG_7883.jpeg Schiit Vali 3 is bringing home the 🎼 goods with GH2. 👊🤪😀
The GH2 is definitely on the keeper side of my ever changing list.

Attachments

• IMG_3262.jpeg
    IMG_3262.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3401.jpeg
    IMG_3401.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3262.jpeg
    IMG_3262.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Apr 22, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #65,500 of 65,611
The GH2 is definitely on the keeper side of my ever changing list.
Your GH2 should be a candidate for the Nyczaj Audio hardware / Turbulent Labs headband. Think: looks ⬆️, sound ⬆️ !!

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 7:49 AM Post #65,501 of 65,611
Ok, so my RS-1 button’s driver is dead. The voice coil has detached from the diaphragm. I have two options: switch both drivers to new x-series drivers or look for a 1st gen driver to install in place of the dead driver. What do you think? Does anyone have experience with old RS-1 with new drivers?

Apr 22, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #65,502 of 65,611
Your GH2 should be a candidate for the Nyczaj Audio hardware / Turbulent Labs headband. Think: looks ⬆️, sound ⬆️ !!
Just ordered another set of each. With the Nyczaj, the Grado's are more stable and sturdy without doubt. Also, I prefer the esthetics as well. Some say this impacts the sound in a positive way. I agree, though for me, it's very subtle. I can't put my finger on it.... Perhaps confirmation bias vs reality? Don't know, but I like it!

Leo

Apr 22, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #65,503 of 65,611
Just ordered another set of each. With the Nyczaj, the Grado's are more stable and sturdy without doubt. Also, I prefer the esthetics as well. Some say this impacts the sound in a positive way. I agree, though for me, it's very subtle. I can't put my finger on it.... Perhaps confirmation bias vs reality? Don't know, but I like it!

Leo
For me, the sound has more 'focus', more 'purity' .... less resonance / higher mass of non-plastic hardware (?) 🤷🏻‍♂️

Apr 22, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #65,504 of 65,611
I use the rs2x with the ifi hip dac mk1 and it's a good match for me, I have never listened a chord dac so I m curious about its sound. I can buy an old mojo mk1 from 2017 for about 150€, still worth? I ve read conflicting opinions

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #65,505 of 65,611
For me, the sound has more 'focus', more 'purity' .... less resonance / higher mass of non-plastic hardware (?) 🤷🏻‍♂️
Sounds like what I'm hearing, but you my friend are much better at accurately verbalizing impressions, than am I.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back