Grado Fan Club!
Apr 23, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #65,521 of 65,621
So do you think that isn't a good choice for the Rs2x? The bass seems light

It is a good choice IMHO.

The RS2x is one of the bassier models compared to the RS1X and GS1000x. And both of these sound great with most acoustic music on the Mojo2 without EQ.

No Grado from what I've read or seen on FR plots is a "bass cannon".

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #65,522 of 65,621
"Zuma" by Neil Young 192KHz FLAC from Qobuz via Roon and the Mojo 2 into my RS1 Buttons: heavenly!
I'm sure it sounds great but I thought it was compulsory to listen to Neil Young with a pair of massive 70s speakers and an amp with shiny aluminium front and yellow VU meters, the source must be an LP spinning on a turntable, of course and then the cover is on the knees of the listener being used as support for rolling a joint.

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #65,523 of 65,621
So do you think that isn't a good choice for the Rs2x? The bass seems light

It's hard to tell what you will like and what you won't like as it's so much a thing of your taste and sound material and also your hearing.

For example for me my RS2e seem very bass light and for me they sound much better with some Mojo 2 bass boost. GH2 and PS500e do great without that and so the Mojo 1 works great for them. I am afraid you just have to try it.

Apr 23, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #65,524 of 65,621
I’ve been listening to these for the last few days. @ilomilo was right about the frequency response. It’s weird and it really is like a vintage radio. But it’s a high end vintage radio, I must add. The lower bass is non existent, midrange is neutral and very detailed and highs are airy and very clean and detailed. These really require some time on the head for your hearing to adjust. After that, they are fantastic on acoustic music and vocals. Once you acclimate your ears to this specific tuning, The White can be fantastic! I bought them just to check them out and sell, but now I’m thinking about keeping them. At least until I get the RS-1 again.

IMG_1576.jpegIMG_1578.jpeg

Next to a GH2 for size comparison…

Apr 23, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #65,527 of 65,621
I’ve been listening to these for the last few days. @ilomilo was right about the frequency response. It’s weird and it really is like a vintage radio. But it’s a high end vintage radio, I must add. The lower bass is non existent, midrange is neutral and very detailed and highs are airy and very clean and detailed. These really require some time on the head for your hearing to adjust. After that, they are fantastic on acoustic music and vocals. Once you acclimate your ears to this specific tuning, The White can be fantastic! I bought them just to check them out and sell, but now I’m thinking about keeping them. At least until I get the RS-1 again.

Next to a GH2 for size comparison…
As I have an ad I placed for a friend to sell his virtually as new set with box I have been giving it some play time I am find the same attributes and it has been improving, the bass also. Very open, airy sound, lots of quality details. Extremely comfortable. Hoping to find a good home for them, price is reduced until May 1st. Very unique, check them in the Classified. (Full size).

Attachments

• IMG_9522.jpeg
    IMG_9522.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9516.jpeg
    IMG_9516.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #65,528 of 65,621
I'm sure it sounds great but I thought it was compulsory to listen to Neil Young with a pair of massive 70s speakers and an amp with shiny aluminium front and yellow VU meters, the source must be an LP spinning on a turntable, of course and then the cover is on the knees of the listener being used as support for rolling a joint.
Where were you when all these shenanigans were going on? Did we run out of papers?

Apr 23, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #65,530 of 65,621
It is a good choice IMHO.

The RS2x is one of the bassier models compared to the RS1X and GS1000x. And both of these sound great with most acoustic music on the Mojo2 without EQ.

No Grado from what I've read or seen on FR plots is a "bass cannon".
The former TOTL PS2000e has the best bass capability in depth, detail and impact. It scales nicely so the amp and source are part of the full package. Some of the class D amps in a reasonable price range come up short in the regard.

Fine tuning the placement of the cups on your ear may reveal more bottom end and sound better overall.
That said, my Fostex TH900 comes in handy for the 1812 overture.

Apr 23, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #65,532 of 65,621
One of my favorite combinations in the moment is Fiio M17 into XDuoo TA20 plus to Grado GS3000 e, all symetric! Good luck, nobody wanted to buy my GS3000E the last months.

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #65,533 of 65,621
My ears couldn't get used to The White . Too sharp, too bloodless. Maybe he would have needed more time, or maybe it's because I do 't like The Beatles that much.
IMG_2332.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #65,534 of 65,621
nyczaj + RS2x
IMG_3084.jpeg
I think these are very fit dependent like stock L-pads. Depending on your ear size + shape and the positioning of the pads will play a big part on sound (and comfort). I have small ears, i think. Positioning the pads a bit to move driver closer to ears helps increase warmth. I had this same experience with L-pads. I think ears press against driver some creating a greater seal for more bass, and closer distance decreases highs.

nyczaj is like a warmed up L-pad, instead of treble-centric its more v-shaped (or neutral imo) while being comfortable to wear. nyczaj makes RS2x a more interesting proposition: lightweight relative to metal Grado, better comfort, bigger soundstage. Just need to make sure nyczaj pads fit consistently.

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #65,535 of 65,621
I used to be that guy.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back