Grado Fan Club!
Mar 15, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #64,861 of 65,629
I'd rather drop $2500 on ZMF headphones, even if they're a bit pricey, than getting ripped off by Focals!
Really? I loved my Elex's and that continues with the Clear OG's. I couldn't/wouldn't pay the price for the Utopia's though.

Mar 15, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #64,862 of 65,629
Really? I loved my Elex's and that continues with the Clear OG's. I couldn't/wouldn't pay the price for the Utopia's though.

Focal headphones and I haven't quite found common ground. Despite owning the Elear, Clear, Utopia, none managed to stay. Personally, I value natural timbre and tone, qualities I couldn't find in those models. We all have different ears and different tastes in music, plain and simple.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #64,863 of 65,629
Grado finally got back to me about my 325’is-e-x” situation after some extra prodding (eventually had to go over service dept and message Rich Grado). Im not sure how to respond. I gave Grado the link to my HF post that shares the photos and they are aware of the details. Not sure what next to say to Grado support. Any recommendations @ESL-1 since you have a history dealing with them? My experiences with Grado thus far are not confidence inspiring (failed 325e repair and meh communication, 2months and counting on RS2x repair).
I'm pretty sure the Grado's next lineup suffix will be 'y's

Mar 15, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #64,864 of 65,629
Personal Grail. I was seriously concerned after purchasing these that it would be an incremental/slight improvement over my RS1x. Happy to say that they are noticeable better for my taste (Classic Rock, Alternative, Hard Rock, Americana, Singer/Song Writer, 80's Hair Metal, Jam Band, and Female Vocals). Better clarity and bass over the RS1x (which were brilliant) at first listen. The value certainly isn't there in comparison, but they are decidedly better in my humble opinion. It's every Grado I have ever owned turned up to 11. Very pleased. Will try to capture a more detailed/nuanced impression over time.

51330007-EB52-458C-A498-4752180CEAE7_1_102_o.jpeg
Congrats on your new purchase!
Could you later share the impressions about 3000x's bass resolution and quantity? It's hard for me to imagine how the Grado house sound can improve from my rs1xs.

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #64,865 of 65,629
Congrats on your new purchase!
Could you later share the impressions about 3000x's bass resolution and quantity? It's hard for me to imagine how the Grado house sound can improve from my rs1xs.
I only listened casually for a couple of hours this evening. One of the first things that struck me was the articulation in bass. More Tony Levin than NIN for context. I was listening to Sonia Dada's "A Day at the Beach" (one of the discs I wore out in the mid to late 90s demoing equipment) and the instruments were better separated in space with more detail. The bass guitar on the various tracks stood out more so than on other speakers and headphones I've experienced in the past. Confirmation bias perhaps. Not EDM or Industrial tracks sounding like too many JL Audio Subs and Alpine Amps in the back of a Honda Civic (e.g. Beats or V Moda); just tight, rhythmic, and tuneful bass with extension separated and distinct within the mix. Will post more impressions when I have some more time with them. Take care.

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:51 PM Post #64,866 of 65,629
Hello mates,

Grado was my first taste in the audiophile world, not that I´m one, and despite tasting different brands and models over the last year and a half, it was the only certain brand with a few models as the Hemp, the 325i and the RS-1 Classic.

Recently I finally took the plunge into the ZMF world, with the Bokeh, and i´m so glad I did. I perfectly understand why many state that Grado and ZMF is all they need. Not only I agree, but I also share the thought that you don´t have to pay big bucks to get amazing sound.

My plan for the future is to get a PS500e (would love the newer PS500x but that will be very, very difficult for a used unit, at least here in Europe) and probably get back a Hemp (I liked it that much) but with the purpose of changing that cable. Maybe even a GH2, who knows?

I don´t feel the urge or need for any other brand, would love to try the Atrium closed in the future but considering its price and the difference to the model I already have, I believe I´m pretty well served for a closed back!

Cheers.

Mar 15, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #64,867 of 65,629
Mar 15, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #64,868 of 65,629
Focal headphones and I haven't quite found common ground. Despite owning the Elear, Clear, Utopia, none managed to stay. Personally, I value natural timbre and tone, qualities I couldn't find in those models. We all have different ears and different tastes in music, plain and simple.
I considered Focal, but the failure rate scared me away.

Mar 15, 2024 at 11:16 PM Post #64,869 of 65,629
I spent a ton of effort trying to like my Utopia, messed around with different tube amps like the Icon HP8 and the Quicksilver, but it just fell flat for me. Wasn't about to fork over 5k for an amp to cover up its flaws. Atrium beats Utopia any day for my ears and preferences, so I moved on. But let's get back to Grado, 'cause that's what this thread's supposed to be about.
Curious what source did you use?

Mar 15, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #64,871 of 65,629
I think back then I was using the Bifrost 2 OG, Ares II, and Hugo 2.
Did your Focals sound too sharp, cold/analytical or fatiguing with Hugo 2 and too anemic, soft, lacking dynamics, flat and a bit digital sounding with some haziness in treble with BF2 and Ares II?

Sorry for taking this off topic, but I can't really imagine someone who likes Grado (the ones that are neutral) and not Utopia.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #64,872 of 65,629
I only listened casually for a couple of hours this evening. One of the first things that struck me was the articulation in bass. More Tony Levin than NIN for context. I was listening to Sonia Dada's "A Day at the Beach" (one of the discs I wore out in the mid to late 90s demoing equipment) and the instruments were better separated in space with more detail. The bass guitar on the various tracks stood out more so than on other speakers and headphones I've experienced in the past. Confirmation bias perhaps. Not EDM or Industrial tracks sounding like too many JL Audio Subs and Alpine Amps in the back of a Honda Civic (e.g. Beats or V Moda); just tight, rhythmic, and tuneful bass with extension separated and distinct within the mix. Will post more impressions when I have some more time with them. Take care.
Thanks a lot. As a hobby bass player your comment on bass guitar is a good news :)

Mar 16, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #64,873 of 65,629
An interesting wrinkle in the Grado website .... Hemp is now in the Reference Series section rather than in the Limited Editions section .... 🔎 🤨 🤔 🔍 ....

Mar 16, 2024 at 2:19 AM Post #64,874 of 65,629
An interesting wrinkle in the Grado website .... Hemp is now in the Reference Series section rather than in the Limited Editions section .... 🔎 🤨 🤔 🔍 ....
Maybe it got better overnight.

Mar 16, 2024 at 4:43 AM Post #64,875 of 65,629
Super sexy looking headphones id love to try. Also the Beyerdynamic amp is very interesting.

Have fun mate.
Thank you :)
Many here know about my troubled past with the GS3000x… but it seems we got at least a bit accustomed with each other. And the old Beyerdynamic amp works quite well with my Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back