Grado Fan Club!
Mar 17, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #64,891 of 65,714
Do you find the upper mid too tilted up with salad bowl? I have tried salad bowl on PS500, HP1000 and HF2 and none of them sounded right with them.

Also, where did you get the headband?
I think Joe Grado would have been totally against anything other than flats on his HP1000 series. He designed them to be as neutral and natural as possible. To me anything different than the flats would ruin that goal and turn a true classic into something totally not meant to be. Just something I feel very strongly about. Not as important the beautiful balanced look would be totally ruined.

I currently have a pristine pair of HP2 phones for sale in the classified section and am including two brand new pairs of Grado flats so a possible buyer will be set for some time listening to a classic as it was designed to be heard.

Attachments

• IMG_9725.jpeg
    IMG_9725.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9722.jpeg
    IMG_9722.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9729.jpeg
    IMG_9729.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9727.jpeg
    IMG_9727.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9721.jpeg
    IMG_9721.jpeg
Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #64,892 of 65,714
I think Joe Grado would have been totally against anything other than flats on his HP1000 series. He designed them to be as neutral and natural as possible. To me anything different than the flats would ruin that goal and turn a true classic into something totally not meant to be. Just something I feel very strongly about. Not as important the beautiful balanced look would be totally ruined.

I currently have a pristine pair of HP2 phones for sale in the classified section and am including two brand new pairs of Grado flats so a possible buyer will be set for some time listening to a classic as it was designed to be heard.
Exactly. Anything other than flat sounds wonky with my Grados.

I can vouch for HP2. It has been a while since I had the "holy 💩" moment (the last time was in an Aries Cerat room) and I said those words as soon as I put on HP2 with TTVJ flat I had. It has mid range naturalness rivaling Utopia, the slam and PRaT that's not matched anywhere except perhaps Pulsar, the treble is sweet and well behaving (not as extended or detailed as Utopia), the micro dynamics in the mid is perhaps only second to Utopia, there is also this level of transparency that's really matched/better by Utopia, no issue with timbre whatsoever, bass definition is right up there with the best, the bass roll off is slightly worse than Utopia OG (I can hear a bit of 40hz and just a bit of 30hz) - no issue with regular music. The sound stage width is pretty good, depth is behind both Utopias and overall image and size is obviously behind 800S. The height presentation is not quite SOTA, but you can hear height in the stage. Image is stable, precise with air/blackness around voice/instruments. The presentation is in front of you and not in your head. Resolution is behind Utopia but about where Clear is at, which is still very good, just not amazing. Having said those, the one word I would use to describe HP2 is musical.

I didn't even use some crazy electronics either - headphone out from Playback Designs Merlot.

So..are you sure you want to sell yours? :gs1000smile:

IMG_4196.jpeg

Just dug up an old CSD graph…that’s some impressive waterfall.

1710699409682.jpeg

Utopia CSD
1710700065186.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #64,894 of 65,714

I can vouch for HP2. It has been a while since I had the "holy 💩" moment (the last time was in an Aries Cerat room) and I said those words as soon as I put on HP2 with TTVJ flat I had. It has mid range naturalness rivaling Utopia, the slam and PRaT that's not matched anywhere except perhaps Pulsar, the treble is sweet and well behaving (not as extended or detailed as Utopia), the micro dynamics in the mid is perhaps only second to Utopia, there is also this level of transparency that's really matched/better by Utopia, no issue with timbre whatsoever, bass definition is right up there with the best, the bass roll off is slightly worse than Utopia OG (I can hear a bit of 40hz and just a bit of 30hz) - no issue with regular music. The sound stage width is pretty good, depth is behind both Utopias and overall image and size is obviously behind 800S. The height presentation is not quite SOTA, but you can hear height in the stage. Image is stable, precise with air/blackness around voice/instruments. The presentation is in front of you and not in your head. Resolution is behind Utopia but about where Clear is at, which is still very good, just not amazing. Having said those, the one word I would use to describe HP2 is musical.

I didn't even use some crazy electronics either - headphone out from Playback Designs Merlot.

No, want to would not be the right description. I do agree in that to me most headphones shape the sound as they like. If you go to lots of live concerts that is not the sound you hear. To over generalize the other phones sound like “High Fidelity” while the HP1 & HP2 sound like music”.

So to reiterate the answer, no I don’t want to sell mine but I really need to cut down how much I have and what I listen to most. I am primarily an electrostatic enthusiast.

As to my HP2 I will not be leaving the ad open for a long length of time and could decide to sacrifice some other of my favorites and put my HP2 back into the collection.

“The hard stuff ain’t easy”

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #64,895 of 65,714
Good luck with the sale. I would never spend that much on a headphone that can no longer be serviced, despite claims that headphones can last "decades" with love and care. It's more of a collection piece than something I'd want to actually use. I wonder how many Sony R10s are still working, as those drivers were made of biocellulose and degrade over time...

Mar 17, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #64,896 of 65,714
Good luck with the sale. I would never spend that much on a headphone that can no longer be serviced, despite claims that headphones can last "decades" with love and care. It's more of a collection piece than something I'd want to actually use. I wonder how many Sony R10s are still working, as those drivers were made of biocellulose and degrade over time...
Being able to get service is an illusion in high end. Focal charges you $1400 (IIRC) to replace Utopia drivers for out of warranty cans (5 or 3 years depending on the model and region) and Audeze charges you about $1200 (may be higher now) to replace LCD4 drivers. If you can’t afford the high replacement/repair costs, you should not be buying high end cans in the first place. ZMF by contract warranties their cans forever (only originally owner), which is amazing, but their high end dynamics sound colored and I don’t like them for the price. The state of industry truly sucks these days.

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #64,897 of 65,714
So if I love the GH2, have the Hemp and RS1(OG), didn’t see the GH4 and GS3000e as a “useful” addition to these three (although I liked them both), and would be looking to add a fourth one to the group, what would be the recommendation?

Thinking hard about a PS500/1000/2000e but can’t decide which one makes the most sense (and assuming a 500x won’t be easily available any time soon), but maybe another one would fit even better…?

Mostly listen to “handmade” music, acoustic and distorted, but also wander into Electronics sometimes.

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #64,898 of 65,714
So if I love the GH2, have the Hemp and RS1(OG), didn’t see the GH4 and GS3000e as a “useful” addition to these three (although I liked them both), and would be looking to add a fourth one to the group, what would be the recommendation?

Thinking hard about a PS500/1000/2000e but can’t decide which one makes the most sense (and assuming a 500x won’t be easily available any time soon), but maybe another one would fit even better…?

Mostly listen to “handmade” music, acoustic and distorted, but also wander into Electronics sometimes.
The PS500 might be a nice addition to your collection I think. Never heard the PS1000 (neither OG nor e), but the PS2000e is nice as well.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #64,899 of 65,714

Just dug up an old CSD graph…that’s some impressive waterfall.

Utopia CSD

Wow, you've got quite the headphone lineup! I gave the f-pads a shot on my PS500x recently, but the sound ended up being too dark for me. It's a bummer because I find the f-pads more comfortable than the L-pads. Hey John and Rich, if you're tuning in, maybe think about using the f-pads for the next Heritage Grado (GH5x?) model.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #64,900 of 65,714
Wow, you've got quite the headphone lineup! I gave the f-pads a shot on my PS500x recently, but the sound ended up being too dark for me. It's a bummer because I find the f-pads more comfortable than the L-pads. Hey John and Rich, if you're tuning in, maybe think about using the f-pads for the next Heritage Grado (GH5x?) model.
Are the f pads the same as TTVJ deluxe? I know TTVJ also has the regular flat pads.

Mar 17, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #64,902 of 65,714
I think that the TTVJ Deluxe Flats are firmer and a bit deeper than Grado f-pads.

Mar 17, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #64,903 of 65,714
An inderstandable concern and their classic status can play on your mind. I purchased the original RS-1 vintage with buttons right after the HP1000 production ended and they still get a good bit of use and nary a problem of any sort. Of course there are no guarantees but I have found that headphone drivers and speakers are among the most long lived and reliable.
Different technology but my older Stax electrostatics have not given me a stitch of trouble and some of those were purchased new by me back in the 1970’s. Same for the original Sennheiser HD414, the first open back headphone to hit the market. I gave them up in a sale to one of our most well known frequenters of the Grado thread and he is having a ball playing them constantly.

In order to enjoy the HP1000 series you do need to be paying attention and be staying safely away from their delicate stencilling.

I think I just decided to leave the Stax I was listening to and spend the rest of tonight’s listening on my HP2.

Best regards and thanks for the Good Luck Wish.

P.S. two friends original owners of Sony R10 phones, both perform faultlessly. They do show a bit of wear and tear from usage but sound is still superb.

Attachments

• IMG_8474.jpeg
    IMG_8474.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8067.jpeg
    IMG_8067.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3252.jpeg
    IMG_3252.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9721.jpeg
    IMG_9721.jpeg
  • IMG_9722.jpeg
    IMG_9722.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #64,904 of 65,714

... there is GS3000x 🤷🏻‍♂️. A real complement to GH2, GH4, Hemp, RS-1 "button". [Verified by ownership 😉] Plus, it is a current offering.

Mar 18, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #64,905 of 65,714
In the meantime, about to listen 'with both barrels' 😂:
IMG_7548.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back