Grado Fan Club!
Mar 5, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #64,711 of 65,584
Yesterday I received another entry on my growing collection, a used PS2000e found its way to me. Its a bit more used than I anticipated from the photos, and the right side came loose (i.e. the headband detached from the gimbal holder) when I took it out of its box. But after refitting it it seems to hold up. And the most important thing: it works.

Yes, its heavy and shaking my head to vigorously might not be a good idea. Yet comfort is really good, the wide headband works well (and the G-pads are nice as always). Overall I don't really feel its weight.

I've so far only compared it a bit to my most recent addition, the PS500x. The PS2000e is a bit more quiet (which is to be expected given the different pads and their influence I noticed in the past), offers a bit smoother treble and less bass. Bass on the PS500x is quite a thing actually, very nice. Not earth shattering, but still acceptable extension and drive.
The most striking difference is how the PS500x makes something sound denser for lack of a better word, while the PS2000x makes parts of the music stand apart more, leaving more air in between. It sounds a bit less busy, more relaxed. Voices are really something on them.
Its bass presentation is still a bit of a let down, I'd have hoped for a bit more extension, but it offers good resolution and clear separation. Will be interesting to compare against the GS3000x, which I hope to be able to do on Thursday or Friday.

Looking forward to read the comparison! Take your time. The Ps2000e really sounds different compared to the other Grado's I own. It would be easy for me to pick out which one is the Ps2000e on a blind hearing test (without the weight).

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #64,712 of 65,584
Balanced seems interesting. Shame everything I own is single ended. So I doubt I'll ever take the dive.
... balanced topology may be interesting but it is not everything. Balanced topology itself is no guarantee of great sound.

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #64,713 of 65,584
Yesterday I received another entry on my growing collection, a used PS2000e found its way to me. Its a bit more used than I anticipated from the photos, and the right side came loose (i.e. the headband detached from the gimbal holder) when I took it out of its box. But after refitting it it seems to hold up. And the most important thing: it works.

Yes, its heavy and shaking my head to vigorously might not be a good idea. Yet comfort is really good, the wide headband works well (and the G-pads are nice as always). Overall I don't really feel its weight.

I've so far only compared it a bit to my most recent addition, the PS500x. The PS2000e is a bit more quiet (which is to be expected given the different pads and their influence I noticed in the past), offers a bit smoother treble and less bass. Bass on the PS500x is quite a thing actually, very nice. Not earth shattering, but still acceptable extension and drive.
The most striking difference is how the PS500x makes something sound denser for lack of a better word, while the PS2000x makes parts of the music stand apart more, leaving more air in between. It sounds a bit less busy, more relaxed. Voices are really something on them.
Its bass presentation is still a bit of a let down, I'd have hoped for a bit more extension, but it offers good resolution and clear separation. Will be interesting to compare against the GS3000x, which I hope to be able to do on Thursday or Friday.

IMG_3665.jpegIMG_3664.jpeg
Wonderful !! ...... The weight of the PS2000e earcups almost mandates the use of the Nyczaj Audio gimbal / rod / block assemblies - especially if you seek a secure / stable adjustment of the earcups. A more padded 'deep' headband is also helpful - for comfort & sound quality ....
C6F50C86-B2DB-4E7F-9D37-36F4AB750895.jpeg

Mar 5, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #64,714 of 65,584
Hi there.

I like to read this Grado thread very much and i am interested in Grado headphones. I really like the looks of it.

What Grado model/s would you lovers of theese headphones recommend to me?

I like to listen to rock and metal most of the time. Sometimes jazz and pop music 60s/70s/80s too.

I like detailed sound with nice treble snd mids. Sure a good bass is very nice too. But it should not be too thick and boomy.

Thank you very much.

Mar 5, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #64,719 of 65,584
I have used the RNHP, the Valhalla 2, the Gilmore Lite MK2 with the dedicated PS and now the V222 with my Grados and other HPs.

Of the lot, I liked more the Gilmore and V222, the last one being my favorite. Bass is excellent with the Gilmore but even better with the Violectric. The only advantage I could see going towards the Gilmore is being airier and with a wider soundstage.

But what really made a major difference, for me, that none of the other Amps could, especially with the Low Impedance Grado, is its gain system. Not only with Grado, but with every other Headphone, I can now easily set the amp. so that I have volume "room" to play with and ideally keeping it at around 12´ no matter the HP I´m using. That was one of my major gripe with every other Amp I used. Most of them were just too powerful for Grados and I could hardly go over 09´ with the volume knob.

Just love this amp! I currently have it paired with a Schiit MBB2, which may be not ideal since it only has a single ended connection, but plan to get a new DAC in a near future.

Cheers.

Mar 5, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #64,722 of 65,584
A lot of people seem to complain about the RS-1x but I have them and couldn't be happier. I also have SR-80's and they're quite nice as well for a lot less coin. Both excel at rock which is probably why I like them so much since that's mostly what I listen to.
I think some people find their upper mid focused sound hard to swallow. But personally, I love them. Makes guitar sound extremely raw. It's like having a guitar amp on your head.

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #64,723 of 65,584
Wonderful !! ...... The weight of the PS2000e earcups almost mandates the use of the Nyczaj Audio gimbal / rod / block assemblies - especially if you seek a secure / stable adjustment of the earcups. A more padded 'deep' headband is also helpful - for comfort & sound quality ....
THIS IS ACTUALLY FOR PLAKAT: Congrats on a great score. Do you have any history on it as to how much the seller had used it? I really enjoy my PS2000e which I got as soon it was introduced. I ask that since in my experience the PS2000e just kept evolving and improving for the first 300 hours of playtime. That is the most amount of break in I have ever had to put on a phone by a good bit. Maybe your new addition has not gotten to that point yet which would be great with the best sound yet to come.

Regardless, enjoy one of the special ones…

I must have been more tired than I thought……

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #64,724 of 65,584
A lot of people seem to complain about the RS-1x but I have them and couldn't be happier. I also have SR-80's and they're quite nice as well for a lot less coin. Both excel at rock which is probably why I like them so much since that's mostly what I listen to.
Did you mention Rock?

Bentley J. Smooch’s favorite. He is available for consultations.

Attachments

• IMG_9641.jpeg
    IMG_9641.jpeg
    694.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9766.jpeg
    IMG_9766.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 6, 2024 at 12:33 AM Post #64,725 of 65,584
Did you mention Rock?

Bentley J. Smooch’s favorite. He is available for consultations.
.... does Bentley run all along the watchtower? 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back