Grado Fan Club!
Jan 22, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #63,976 of 65,633
For sure. My RS2x took about 6 months. From no bass and super lean to a warm and dimensional sound.

Almost to make me thing about the RS1x because it has less bass. :beyersmile:
I personally think the lack of bass in the rs1x is overblown tbh. The bass sounds great. It's just not very bass forward is all. And ye, the rs1x sound better and better everyday. They basically transformed over the course of 2 months. I expect that they'll change even more.

Jan 22, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #63,977 of 65,633
I never heard the RS1/i/e - were they also rolled off in the lo-end? I always liked Grado's lean bass - coming from years in front of studio monitors I prefer a little less bass than overblown bass. But my RS1x's had less bass/mid bass than my 125e's and RS2e's, which was a surprise because they're higher up in the line.

Jan 22, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #63,978 of 65,633
I personally think the lack of bass in the rs1x is overblown tbh. The bass sounds great. It's just not very bass forward is all. And ye, the rs1x sound better and better everyday. They basically transformed over the course of 2 months. I expect that they'll change even more.**
** Agreed!! Of the Grados that I have, RS-1x required the longest break-in period. My guess is that the combination of a new (for Grado) 50mm driver with a new 'tri-material' housing was a real factor. I 'kept the faith', stayed patient, broke in RS-1x with CD replay (cheapo unit!) - no test tones. RS-1x has become one of my headphone favourites / 'go-to's.

Jan 22, 2024 at 11:17 PM Post #63,979 of 65,633
Hello all. Arriving tomorrow will be my first Grados. SR325X**. I excited to finally listen to some Grado headphones. My other headphones are Bluetooth, Sony XM5
and Focal Bathys.

Comparing them should be fun.***
** Nice start! (You'll own more than one Grado ... 😏)
*** Hell, just listening via SR325x will be fun ☑️

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #63,980 of 65,633
Grados' dist guitar sound is so different and special without being sibilant and piercing which I really hate.
It makes me forget all the shortcomings.

Can someone please recommend other headphones that offer Grado kind of guitar sound with stronger bass?
Same answer as the venerable (!) @ESL-1, with two additions: RS-1 (wood button) and PS500e. (These are hard to find.)

Jan 22, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #63,981 of 65,633
🤔 ... Back to the topic of bass in Grados ... Hemp has it in goodly amounts - not overbearing, not bloated, not 'merely there'. Hemp bass wallops if the bass recorded wallops.

"But there's little air further up" 😧 say some. The better the amplification for Hemp, the more untrue this complaint becomes. Yes, Hemp can run off small, portable devices and reach high volume. If you want more sound quality from Hemp, give more amp quality to Hemp ... (true for all Grados). With this, Hemp opens up!, soundstage layers are clearer!, overtones sound natural! Hemp (the headphone) is a joy 👍.

43E0F81E-245A-41D9-BBCE-5B60D3C82481.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #63,982 of 65,633
Grados are awesome for mids, guitars and voices truly shine on a grado. If you want Grado with Bass then it’s the Hemp Grado you want.
...and SR325x

Jan 23, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #63,983 of 65,633
Hello all. Arriving tomorrow will be my first Grados. SR325X. I excited to finally listen to some Grado headphones. My other headphones are Bluetooth, Sony XM5
and Focal Bathys.

Comparing them should be fun.
I think you'll be very happy... Give them lots of breakin

Jan 23, 2024 at 12:09 AM Post #63,984 of 65,633
Grados' dist guitar sound is so different and special without being sibilant and piercing which I really hate.
It makes me forget all the shortcomings.

Can someone please recommend other headphones that offer Grado kind of guitar sound with stronger bass?
SR325x is the headphone you are looking for

Jan 23, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #63,985 of 65,633
🤔 ... Back to the topic of bass in Grados ... Hemp has it in goodly amounts - not overbearing, not bloated, not 'merely there'. Hemp bass wallops if the bass recorded wallops.

"But there's little air further up" 😧 say some. The better the amplification for Hemp, the more untrue this complaint becomes. Yes, Hemp can run off small, portable devices and reach high volume. If you want more sound quality from Hemp, give more amp quality to Hemp ... (true for all Grados). With this, Hemp opens up!, soundstage layers are clearer!, overtones sound natural! Hemp (the headphone) is a joy 👍.

43E0F81E-245A-41D9-BBCE-5B60D3C82481.jpeg
Absolutely….

Jan 23, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #63,986 of 65,633
A bold statement indeed. What is your Dac? Amp? Equalizer? I have plenty of bass with my Yggy and OTL amp (of course my hearing of what good bass is different than yours). People who make bold statements are properly evaluated by more senior members of the community, but it really isn't fair to new guys who will take your opinion as fact. Just saying.

Leo
Thats why I tried to make clear that this is my opinion :wink: I don't think anyone new to this topic would just take my opinion as gospel -- ignoring everything else -- and move along. To the contrary, I think there needs to be some balance since most seem to talk about non-electronic genres: for someone preferring Electro House having an evaluation based upon chamber music might not be that helpful -- the requirements are quite different.

But my point was actually not to bash the RS1x, although it is a model I sure don't understand (and I don't mean that I'm ever going to). It was more about the bandwidth the different models cover, from those that do work for me to some that share some traits with these, but go in a direction that doesn't fit with my tastes.

There are of course many other models that don't work for me, the Utopia being a prime example. With Focal I don't feel that tension though, they don't have a single model that really appeals to me (the Bathys is actually the only one that I might like, but not enough to spend 700,-). Hifiman neither... both not a problem, I just don't spend time with these. So neither do I engage in the respective threads -- sure, why rain on anyone's parade? I'm not here to separate anyone from his beloved RS1x either. But maybe to tell someone who doesn't like that one, that there are other models that might fit better.

To answer your questions: I mostly used my old Hugo 1, a Beyerdynamic A2 amp and an old iPod Classic (no, not together :wink:. I never use EQ, it would bind me to a very specific listening scenario that provides a competent implementation, making everything much more complicated. And that's something I don't want anymore, having sold off most of my prior toys. Like the V281, which might have worked really well with Grados, yet I don't want a shoebox on my desk anymore.

I don't have nor want any tube amps since I want to keep my setup simple and portable (I'm often away from home and want to take my preferred setup with me). So I just don't want to go down that rabbit hole. Recently I acquired a Fiio M17 to make my setup truly portable. Works very well for me, driving all my current headphones, i.e.Composer, GH2 and E3.

To finish this rather long essay, thank you, Leo, for a civilized answer to what must have been an affront to many here. Please rest assured that it was not meant that way, but rather to express my puzzlement over this.

Jan 23, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #63,987 of 65,633
I realise that the grado wood cups turn moldy after some time in storage. Any ways to prevent it?
'Moldy' meaning white powdery patches on the cup.

Jan 23, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #63,988 of 65,633
A question for those who know the old Grados:

I'm quite enthusiastic about my GS1000i, which still has the more pronounced treble than the e- and X-series. It also has a pretty massive bass for a Grado.

Now I'm wondering whether a The White model would be a good addition to my GS1000i?

The White is supposed to have a lot of volume in the midrange and also an extended treble. However, its bass is sometimes described as rather thin, but more pronounced in the upper bass range than the GS1000e.

Does anyone happen to know how the bass of The White compares to the GS1000i?

I think there are hardly any other headphones that can reproduce electric guitars and voices as naturally as Grados!

Many thanks for your feedback!

Regards

Lothar

Jan 23, 2024 at 8:52 AM Post #63,989 of 65,633
There is a lot of difference between the SR80x and the SR325x, I have the SR80x that I bought recently, but one becomes addicted to a degree, I listen to pure metal and rock.

Will it also be worth having the SR325x?

Jan 23, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #63,990 of 65,633
I realise that the grado wood cups turn moldy after some time in storage. Any ways to prevent it?
'Moldy' meaning white powdery patches on the cup.
... humidity in storage? ... wax before storage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back