Grado Fan Club!
Jan 22, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #63,962 of 65,724
Nice. Taking the dive, eh? My advice. Give them plenty of time to burn in before you judge them. My opinion of them changed radically over a short period of time.
The trade off is that the bass gets even weaker with age but the Mid and highs are much smoother. Listening to R&Bs, smooth Jazz, and classical music on my RS2e is amazing.

Jan 22, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #63,963 of 65,724
Really enjoyed the week with my GH2's, especially with the Valhalla 2. Jazz, rock and classic rock all sounded SO good!
For some reason my Beautiful audio pads were hurting my ears, so I changed over to the Shipibo pads. A very nice week indeed.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #63,964 of 65,724
Really interesting how much taste differs… to me the Rs1-x was maybe the worst headphone I had on my ears more than once :wink: which makes it take a slot above the GS-1000x, which not only sounded even more anemic but also did not get a second chance… there’s just nothing within my taste of music I can imagine to sound acceptable on either. Obviously others differ.

I’d not say that Grados generally don’t have bass. The already mentioned Hemp does have a bit, as does the GH2, which, to me, finds a better balance with an airy top end. A different take on my electronic music, which in these two cases works quite well. So while I’m obviously not the primary target group, there’s still something here for me as well.

Jan 22, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #63,966 of 65,724
Really interesting how much taste differs… to me the Rs1-x was maybe the worst headphone I had on my ears more than once :wink: which makes it take a slot above the GS-1000x, which not only sounded even more anemic but also did not get a second chance… there’s just nothing within my taste of music I can imagine to sound acceptable on either. Obviously others differ.

I’d not say that Grados generally don’t have bass. The already mentioned Hemp does have a bit, as does the GH2, which, to me, finds a better balance with an airy top end. A different take on my electronic music, which in these two cases works quite well. So while I’m obviously not the primary target group, there’s still something here for me as well.
Personal opinions really do vary. I don't find the bass on the Grado's to be very light, when using them. Once in a while I will hear a song and then think, "I remember that song being bassier" and then move along. I found that with GH2's, SR325e's and the Hemp's.

Where it does really stand out to me is when I change over to a Focal Clear, a CFA Cascade, an iBasso SR2, etc. I immediately think, " Oh, THERE's the bass!" :smile:

Jan 22, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #63,967 of 65,724
Personal opinions really do vary. I don't find the bass on the Grado's to be very light, when using them. Once in a while I will hear a song and then think, "I remember that song being bassier" and then move along. I found that with GH2's, SR325e's and the Hemp's.

Where it does really stand out to me is when I change over to a Focal Clear, a CFA Cascade, an iBasso SR2, etc. I immediately think, " Oh, THERE's the bass!" :smile:
I know what you mean… my current menu includes the Austrian Audio Composer, which offers excellent bass, and not only for an open back, and the DCA E3, which is also not bass shy. Obviously the GH2 offers less bass, especially deep down, than both. I still likening though, it’s airy presentation just has something… and while the Hemp does offer a little more bass, it misses that airy quality.

Jan 22, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #63,968 of 65,724
I agree tbh. But that's kinda what I meant. Bass is by no means nonexistent. But a lot of people have different standards for bass. I think grados generally have enough bass for my needs.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #63,970 of 65,724
Enjoying here!

Attachments

• photo_2024-01-22_16-55-51.jpg
    photo_2024-01-22_16-55-51.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 0
Jan 22, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #63,971 of 65,724
Grados' dist guitar sound is so different and special without being sibilant and piercing which I really hate.
It makes me forget all the shortcomings.

Can someone please recommend other headphones that offer Grado kind of guitar sound with stronger bass?

Jan 22, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #63,972 of 65,724

A bold statement indeed. What is your Dac? Amp? Equalizer? I have plenty of bass with my Yggy and OTL amp (of course my hearing of what good bass is different than yours). People who make bold statements are properly evaluated by more senior members of the community, but it really isn't fair to new guys who will take your opinion as fact. Just saying.

Leo

Jan 22, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #63,973 of 65,724
Grados' dist guitar sound is so different and special without being sibilant and piercing which I really hate.
It makes me forget all the shortcomings.

Can someone please recommend other headphones that offer Grado kind of guitar sound with stronger bass?
Grado PS2000e, Grado GS3000e & x.
Grado GH2 &
Joseph Grado Signature HP1000.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #63,974 of 65,724
Nice. Taking the dive, eh? My advice. Give them plenty of time to burn in before you judge them. My opinion of them changed radically over a short period of time.

For sure. My RS2x took about 6 months. From no bass and super lean to a warm and dimensional sound.

Almost to make me thing about the RS1x because it has less bass. :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back