Grado Fan Club!
Jan 21, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #63,931 of 65,609
Yeah, honestly, no regrets selling my RS1x. It was a bit of a rollercoaster, on some albums, they sounded like $2000 headphones, but on others, it felt more like a $100 pair. Luckily, snagged a used GH1 lately, and it's miles better for my taste. Huge Grado fan, but with the GH1, I'm not itching to grab another Grado down the road.

The SR325x and the RS2x, to some extent, almost come off as basshead headphones when compared to the RS1x, lol. I know I might get tomatoes thrown at me, but I swear my RS1x had zero bass, even after 200-300 hours of burn-in. 😅
I’ve heard many mixed reviews on the RS1x. I’m currently enjoying my RS1i, they’ve impressed me on a lot of songs thus far.

Jan 21, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #63,932 of 65,609
Another big fan of the RS-1x here, they have hundreds of hours on them and they are my go-to headphone for fusion, jazz, acoustic and lighter prog-rock. I've recently tried F-pads but they dulled the life out of them and I'm firmly in the L-cush clan and see no reason for further experimentation, the L-cush is where this headphone is tuned. As for bass, I run a 4.5db (total) series of three 1.5db bass shelves at descending frequencies and the RS-1x takes it just fine - I was listening to Weather Report last night and Jaco sounded amazing.
For rock and heavier prog I have my trusty SR325x and Beyer DT1990 pro, which certainly have more bass and if I'm really craving bass then I have my beloved Denon AH-D7200's - so all bases covered.
You have a good taste in music there. You might want to join the f /b. Forum. Jazz rock , there's a few on and all good. That's my music also and I swop between my grado , sennheiser &. Focal . All good.

Jan 21, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #63,933 of 65,609
I wish I had a good taste in music, but I can't stop head banging.

Jan 21, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #63,934 of 65,609
Just done with Feed-N-Wax session ...
FAB62266-BC64-4E41-863F-52072F878493.jpeg
😎🙂

Jan 21, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #63,935 of 65,609
how do you guys feel about aftermarket pads? Never tried any. Curious mainly. If there's a pad that's more comfortable and retains the sound of the L pads, that would be sweet.

Jan 21, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #63,936 of 65,609
RS-1x is ready for action following 'wax salon treatment':
F7A6CE03-CFE5-4527-84D6-4F59CC7C89E3.jpeg

Jan 21, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #63,937 of 65,609
your stack looks killer

Jan 21, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #63,938 of 65,609
how do you guys feel about aftermarket pads? Never tried any. Curious mainly. If there's a pad that's more comfortable and retains the sound of the L pads, that would be sweet.
Long version: tons of posts about expensive pads - some say way more comfortable, changes, yada yada...
... Inexpensive pads most say don't bother...

Short version: Grado pads are the best (... and some of us believe what they came with sounds best).

Jan 21, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #63,939 of 65,609
Long version: tons of posts about expensive pads - some say way more comfortable, changes, yada yada...
... Inexpensive pads most say don't bother...

Short version: Grado pads are the best (... and some of us believe what they came with sounds best).
Sounds like about what I expected. Sticking with the grado L cush then. It's certainly my experience that grado works best with the pads they are tuned for. But it never hurts to ask. Thanks man

Jan 21, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #63,940 of 65,609
Sounds like about what I expected. Sticking with the grado L cush then. It's certainly my experience that grado works best with the pads they are tuned for. But it never hurts to ask. Thanks man
You only know if you try. That's the problem, their is no universal agreed opinion . Some hate a particular pad, some love it, example G Pad on RS2x is awful to my ears, many love them.

I bought every pad. And have stuck with a couple, they happen to be the most expensive so maybe some unconscious bais dunno, but only way to know is try for yourself .

The only pad I really dislike is the F on the RS2x, truly uncomfortable and sound muddy to me. Yet there are owners who swear they are the best for the RS2x

Jan 21, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #63,941 of 65,609
For the record... I tried other pads, but to my ears, the 🪄 Grado Magic ✨ is a result of the meticulously paired pads by Grado.

It may still be worth it for you to play around anyway.

Jan 21, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #63,942 of 65,609
For the record... I tried other pads, but to my ears, the 🪄 Grado Magic ✨ is a result of the meticulously paired pads by Grado.

It may still be worth it for you to play around anyway.
I should probably just be more patient with the break in period ig. I have a feeling I'd probably just go back to the originals anyways. The L pads on my 325i are so used that they feel like air for example. But it takes a long time. A lot of the aftermarket pads look pretty expensive too, now that I'm looking at them.

Jan 21, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #63,943 of 65,609
Currently enjoying Leonard Bernstein at this moment with Snow Maiden Act III. My GOD! Grados continues to knock my socks off frivolously. The soundstage on my RS1i’s continues to shock me time and time again. Moments like these make me savor the hobby so much more. TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Jan 21, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #63,944 of 65,609
There are some very good ones. I like Beautiful Audio pads and Shipibo pads. I don't care for the Dekoni ones as they are very expensive and very "long". You really have to crank up the volume to reach from driver to eardrum.

The stock pads sound great, but can hurt the ear.

Jan 21, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #63,945 of 65,609
There are some very good ones. I like Beautiful Audio pads and Shipibo pads. I don't care for the Dekoni ones as they are very expensive and very "long". You really have to crank up the volume to reach from driver to eardrum.

The stock pads sound great, but can hurt the ear.
what's your thoughts on the shipibo pads? kinda pricey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back