Grado Fan Club!
Jan 20, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #63,916 of 66,264
I believe that. The rs1x have very anemic bass. I think the bass sounds good. But it really only comes out in certain tracks. It's definitely the weak point of these headphones. When I say I like the sound of the bass, I never meant that the bass is forward by any means. It's anemic, but detailed. It does sound quite crisp and whiplashy tho when the music lets it present itself.

Jan 20, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #63,917 of 66,264
I believe that. The rs1x have very anemic bass. I think the bass sounds good. But it really only comes out in certain tracks. It's definitely the weak point of these headphones. When I say I like the sound of the bass, I never meant that the bass is forward by any means. It's anemic, but detailed. It does sound quite crisp and whiplashy tho when the music lets it present itself.

Sure, the RS1x has some bass, but it's missing that oomph, that real kick, you know? I really wanted to like the RS1x, but they're not quite tuned for most of my music.

Jan 20, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #63,918 of 66,264
Sure, the RS1x has some bass, but it's missing that oomph, that real kick, you know? I really wanted to like the RS1x, but they're not quite tuned for most of my music.
I get what you mean ya. I do wish they had more bass. And you're not wrong for having that opinion. Afterall, I'd say I'm the odd one out with loving these things so much. As far as I can tell, a lot of the folks here don't like these headphones.

Jan 20, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #63,919 of 66,264
I get what you mean ya. I do wish they had more bass. And you're not wrong for having that opinion. Afterall, I'd say I'm the odd one out with loving these things so much. As far as I can tell, a lot of the folks here don't like these headphones.

I know a couple of folks who dig them with the F-pads. But, truth be told, the F-pads kinda dampen the magical top end and the soundstage of the RS1x. There's also this dude in the Grado Facebook Club who's basically on a daily mission, shouting that the RS1x is the best thing since sliced bread and every other pair of headphones on the market, especially outside of Grado, sounds like crap. So, no, you're definitely not the only one, lol.

Jan 20, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #63,920 of 66,264
I know a couple of folks who dig them with the F-pads. But, truth be told, the F-pads kinda dampen the magical top end and the soundstage of the RS1x. There's also this dude in the Grado Facebook Club who's basically on a daily mission, shouting that the RS1x is the best thing since sliced bread and every other pair of headphones on the market, especially outside of Grado, sounds like crap. So, no, you're definitely not the only one, lol.
I don't own a lot of grados. I only ever heard the sr80i, 325i, and now the RS1X. But as far as I can tell, The RS1X are niche within the niche that is the Grado house sound. It really depends on the person I think, as you said. The RS1X have a huge emphasis on euphonic warmth, big stage, and thick crispy bold mids. They're certainly not a mainstream sound lol. It's just one of those things, you either love it or you hate it. The main thing I find surprising tho is how my experience differs from others. I see a lot of people state they don't play well with bad masters. That was certainly the case when I first owned them, but after tons of burn in(they're still burning in as far as I can tell lmao) I find that they kind of save bad masters, such as "as the palaces burn" by lamb of god. Never listened to the RS2X, but based on what I have read. My guess is that the Hemps and RS2X are a safer bet for the majority of Grado heads.

Jan 20, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #63,921 of 66,264
I also agree about the F pads. The F pads kinda killed what makes these things sound magical imo.

Jan 20, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #63,922 of 66,264
They're certainly not a mainstream sound lol. It's just one of those things, you either love it or you hate it. The main thing I find surprising tho is how my experience differs from others. I see a lot of people state they don't play well with bad masters. That was certainly the case when I first owned them, but after tons of burn in(they're still burning in as far as I can tell lmao) I find that they kind of save bad masters, such as "as the palaces burn" by lamb of god. Never listened to the RS2X, but based on what I have read. My guess is that the Hemps and RS2X are a safer bet for the majority of Grado heads.

Yeah, the RS1x is a bit of a hit-or-miss. Loved them on some tracks, but on others, they were like the worst headphones ever. Sold them after just 2 weeks, came pretty close to chucking them against the wall a couple of times, lol. Still crossing my fingers Grado cooks up something I like in the future (GH5x, maybe?), but to be honest, now that I've got the GH1, I'm leaning towards exploring other brands.

Jan 20, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #63,923 of 66,264
Yeah, the RS1x is a bit of a hit-or-miss. Loved them on some tracks, but on others, they were like the worst headphones ever. Sold them after just 2 weeks, came pretty close to chucking them against the wall a couple of times, lol. Still crossing my fingers Grado cooks up something I like in the future (GH5x, maybe?), but to be honest, now that I've got the GH1, I'm leaning towards exploring other brands.
I'd say other brands is probably a good idea if you're satisfied with the GH1. That's kind of my plan too. Maybe there is a grado I would like more, but I'd rather branch out. It's like owning the same super car in different colors. You already have a ferrari, be happy with your ferrari.

Jan 20, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #63,924 of 66,264
I'd say other brands is probably a good idea if you're satisfied with the GH1. That's kind of my plan too. Maybe there is a grado I would like more, but I'd rather branch out. It's like owning the same super car in different colors. You already have a ferrari, be happy with your ferrari.

Alright, I'm probably gonna catch some heat from the Grado die-hards, but here's a straight-up tip, savor the RS1x, but don't shy away from checking out other brands. Because, honestly, all those Grados are kinda cut from the same sonic cloth! 😅

Jan 20, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #63,925 of 66,264
I've owned the SR80i, the SR80e, the original SR125, the SR125e, the SR325e, the RS2i, the RS2e, the GH2, the HF3, and even the iGrado. I ordered the RS1x as soon as it was released. I alternate between the L Cush, the G Cush, and TTVJ Deluxe Pads from time to time, but I tend to stick with the stock L Cush. It is my favorite Grado that I have owned by far. I also own a Sennheiser HD 800 S and the RS1x gets 70% of my listening time.

Jan 20, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #63,926 of 66,264
Another big fan of the RS-1x here, they have hundreds of hours on them and they are my go-to headphone for fusion, jazz, acoustic and lighter prog-rock. I've recently tried F-pads but they dulled the life out of them and I'm firmly in the L-cush clan and see no reason for further experimentation, the L-cush is where this headphone is tuned. As for bass, I run a 4.5db (total) series of three 1.5db bass shelves at descending frequencies and the RS-1x takes it just fine - I was listening to Weather Report last night and Jaco sounded amazing.
For rock and heavier prog I have my trusty SR325x and Beyer DT1990 pro, which certainly have more bass and if I'm really craving bass then I have my beloved Denon AH-D7200's - so all bases covered.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #63,927 of 66,264
Never listened to the RS2X, but based on what I have read. My guess is that the Hemps and RS2X are a safer bet for the majority of Grado heads.
I got a pair of RS2x's for Christmas and have been loving them. I put the G cush pads from my 225x's on them and to me they sound better than with the pads that came with them. I put those pads back on yesterday and still think the G pads sound better. Good bass and mids, just a sparkle of treble. I give them two thumbs up.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #63,928 of 66,264
Out of all my headphones I only use the RSx-1 and the Focal clear mg
The RSx-1 is my goto for traditional music the sound of the Bodhrán while keeping up with the fast paste of the fiddle it is just like its played in the room so tight and controlled all your missing is a pint of guinness .I use the focals for electronic and tracks I want more bass on like some heaver rock tracks.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #63,929 of 66,264
Yeah, honestly, no regrets selling my RS1x. It was a bit of a rollercoaster, on some albums, they sounded like $2000 headphones, but on others, it felt more like a $100 pair. Luckily, snagged a used GH1 lately, and it's miles better for my taste. Huge Grado fan, but with the GH1, I'm not itching to grab another Grado down the road.

The SR325x and the RS2x, to some extent, almost come off as basshead headphones when compared to the RS1x, lol. I know I might get tomatoes thrown at me, but I swear my RS1x had zero bass, even after 200-300 hours of burn-in. 😅
I’ve heard many mixed reviews on the RS1x. I’m currently enjoying my RS1i, they’ve impressed me on a lot of songs thus far.

Jan 21, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #63,930 of 66,264
Another big fan of the RS-1x here, they have hundreds of hours on them and they are my go-to headphone for fusion, jazz, acoustic and lighter prog-rock. I've recently tried F-pads but they dulled the life out of them and I'm firmly in the L-cush clan and see no reason for further experimentation, the L-cush is where this headphone is tuned. As for bass, I run a 4.5db (total) series of three 1.5db bass shelves at descending frequencies and the RS-1x takes it just fine - I was listening to Weather Report last night and Jaco sounded amazing.
For rock and heavier prog I have my trusty SR325x and Beyer DT1990 pro, which certainly have more bass and if I'm really craving bass then I have my beloved Denon AH-D7200's - so all bases covered.
You have a good taste in music there. You might want to join the f /b. Forum. Jazz rock , there's a few on and all good. That's my music also and I swop between my grado , sennheiser &. Focal . All good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back