Grado Fan Club!
Dec 30, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #63,633 of 65,633
So I sold my RS2x, but recipient of package found the black goop on back of driver to have fallen off and is now stuck to cables inside the cups. Anyone ever seen this happen before? I messaged Grado to ask for repair cost and for explanation on purpose of the goop. I have pics of the goop attached prior to shipping, but not sure if its fair to claim UPS insurance, I think its poor design or poor quality control. Comments or advice?

Ill ask buyer to share photos.

My photos of goop in place. Left driver is not super clear.:
IMG_0863.jpeg

IMG_0870.jpeg

Anyways, I asked buyer to return and Ill refund on receiving.

edit: Perhaps UPS exposed to temperatures that RS2x goop cant handle (its winter)? Id blame this on Grado design or quality control. Not claiming insurance, dont think I have good enough photos of prior to shipping. Will still upload photos from buyer or he can post himself.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #63,634 of 65,633
Hey Guys, I just saw a TEAC HA-501 HP amp get posted on the classified (5 minutes ago). It is a Dual Monaural design and has a very open and wide soundstage. It is my best amp match for my PS2000e and a good number of other phones I have.

It was $849 retail. Seller’s price of $330 is superb. Looks like new condition.

Any Grado fan needing an amp in this price range should give this serious thought, likes Grados.

Check out the FS ad.

Attachments

• IMG_8174.jpeg
    IMG_8174.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #63,635 of 65,633
IMG_1883.jpeg

IMG_1884.jpeg

^ pics provides by buyer

I hadnt inspected the drivers that closely directly prior to creating classified + packaging for shipping. I looked at them at the beginning of my brief ownership (including under flash light) but they were fine. I may very well have dislodged the goop at some point from cable movement inside the cup when using the headphone. The headphone should be designed so as not be able to break itself during normal use, very disappointing. I will accept that the goop came undone during my possession but will blame Grado for it happening at all.

Dec 31, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #63,636 of 65,633

^ pics provides by buyer

I hadnt inspected the drivers that closely directly prior to creating classified + packaging for shipping. I looked at them at the beginning of my brief ownership (including under flash light) but they were fine. I may very well have dislodged the goop at some point from cable movement inside the cup when using the headphone. The headphone should be designed so as not be able to break itself during normal use, very disappointing. I will accept that the goop came undone during my possession but will blame Grado for it happening at all.
I hope you get them fixed
On grado I have found that the cable coming out from the cup has a tie wrap on it on the inside of the cup side to stop the cable coming out and damaging the drivers.This dose not stop the cable being pushed back into the cup and damaging the drivers.
I wonder if when you packed them up you accidentally pushed the cable back into the cup causing damage to the back of the driver?
Or the buyer most probably ham fisted(or deliberately) pushed the cable back into the cup causing the damage not grado

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #63,638 of 65,633
I wonder if when you packed them up you accidentally pushed the cable back into the cup causing damage to the back of the driver?
Or the buyer most probably ham fisted(or deliberately) pushed the cable back into the cup causing the damage not grado
A serious oversight by Grado. Every other headphone is designed to prevent this from accidentally occuring.

The x-series cable is stupid (stiff, noisy, unnecessarily huge). The old rubber hose cable less so (unnecessarily huge and heavy).

Dec 31, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #63,639 of 65,633
Grado support reply:

this black damping material is not a critical consideration

if you wish to have your RS2x serviced:

If you reside in the United States, please let us know if you don’t as this information will not apply.

Your RS2x's can be serviced
It will cost $150.00 to service your headphones.
New cushions are an optional charge.
$10.00 for a pair of “S” cushions , $25.00 for a pair of “L” or "F" cushions, $55.00 for a set of "G" cushions*

Please ship to:

Dec 31, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #63,641 of 65,633
A serious oversight by Grado. Every other headphone is designed to prevent this from accidentally occuring.

The x-series cable is stupid (stiff, noisy, unnecessarily huge). The old rubber hose cable less so (unnecessarily huge and heavy).
I totally agree on the X series cable,it is hideous and is the reason I won't spend over 1,000 on a pair of grado
They would be a lot more attractive to the buyer if the cable was detachable.
I do understand why grado don't use a grommet to stop this from happening as it would cause a weak point on the cable and over time would see the cable deteriorate around the grommet.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #63,642 of 65,633
I do understand why grado don't use a grommet to stop this from happening as it would cause a weak point on the cable and over time would see the cable deteriorate around the grommet.
Perhaps. Ive bought tons of vintage headphones that are 40-50yo and have never had an issue with a grommet. Im not saying its impossible but there has to be a better way than letting the x-series cable just slide around freely. The old rubber hose was grippy enough to where it seems to never move to cause noise and damage. I think Grado accidentally overlooked this problem of the new cable, or their designing was hamfisted (or deliberate).

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #63,643 of 65,633
I can empathize with you having destroyed a pair of 325x while removing the cable.
I have seen a few old grado on eBay with damaged cables even,bough a pair for £15.It dose seem like there was design problem with the old cable around the plug and entrance to the cups, that they tried and failed to address correctly in the X series.
.Hopefully they will sort this out in the near future.

Dec 31, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #63,645 of 65,633
How can an amp possibly have any kind of soundstage? That isn't what they do. All they do is increase power.
Ideally that’s what they do, but realistically there is a flavor added to them by their makers much like a passive EQ. Just like how water should just quench thirst but you got different flavors just by slightly changing their mineral contents and where you get the water from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back