Grado Fan Club!
Nov 27, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #63,301 of 65,605
Love my Grado SR125x. I'm using an Antique Sound Lab MG-Head OTL MKIII in transformer mode to amp them.

Nov 27, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #63,302 of 65,605
Hello friends,

Can someone advise a good Amp that works well with our Grado HP? No tubes please. I have a Schiit Valhalla 2 and despite liking the sound, the background noise sort of bothers me. Already changed tubes, better with original tubes but still there. Also not a big fan of the original tubes sound.

I was thinking something like a Rebel or Gilmore amp. Any other thoughts?

I usually tend to a more organic, even warmer, sound.

Cheers.
Asgard 3... really love with my Grado headphones 🎧

Nov 27, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #63,303 of 65,605
Hello friends,

Can someone advise a good Amp that works well with our Grado HP? No tubes please. I have a Schiit Valhalla 2 and despite liking the sound, the background noise sort of bothers me. Already changed tubes, better with original tubes but still there. Also not a big fan of the original tubes sound.

Cheers.
The Schiit Valhalla 2 is not a great tube amp, imo. I didn’t like it because I found it bright and not so smooth. I prefer my MG Head DT and it works great with my Grados in transformer mode.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #63,304 of 65,605
Hello friends,

Cheers.
Gilmore Lite Mk-II with Golden Reference power supply unit is an excellent choice for Grados.

Nov 27, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #63,306 of 65,605
Although I am not using a Grado headphone, so I will just leave by the side door quietly.
…. boo hoo 😭😢, we love a Grand Exit !!!

Nov 27, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #63,307 of 65,605
Nov 27, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #63,308 of 65,605
Nov 27, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #63,309 of 65,605
Just so everyone knows, Grado drivers are very hard to destroy. I know this because I had my 225x plugged into my Hugo 2 while it was at line output levels. I think that’s the term, its basically all the way up. Max volume. I think it’s like 3/4 of a watt. They sustained that volume for at least 10 minutes…I’ve run them through the ringer looking for audible signs of damage. Nothin’.

Nov 28, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #63,311 of 65,605
Just so everyone knows, Grado drivers are very hard to destroy. I know this because I had my 225x plugged into my Hugo 2 while it was at line output levels. I think that’s the term, its basically all the way up. Max volume. I think it’s like 3/4 of a watt. They sustained that volume for at least 10 minutes…I’ve run them through the ringer looking for audible signs of damage. Nothin’.
What can destroy a driver is running it at ‘max volume setting’ with an amplifier of insufficient power. The distortion-induced ‘jagged’ power pulses of high frequency will burn out voice coils.

Nov 28, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #63,312 of 65,605
Love my Grado SR125x. I'm using an Antique Sound Lab MG-Head OTL MKIII in transformer mode to amp them.
I find the sr125 models are often overlooked. Most people either stay at SR60/80 or straight to sr325/225

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #63,313 of 65,605
Hello friends,

Can someone advise a good Amp that works well with our Grado HP? No tubes please.

If you’re willing to spend a little bit of money and can find one on the used market, my Focal Arche is the best SS I’ve heard with Grados bar none. Especially with a tube preamp. It’s just liquid smooth bliss with crystalline highs. Class-A power. I’m usually a tube guy but it feels sort of like the best of both worlds, you maintain the analytical nature of SS with a hint of tube warmth that removes the typical shrillness you get from Grado on wrong amp pairings. Granted i’m running it with a Chord Dave into a McIntosh C2300 preamp which brings it into the end game territory but even with the built in DAC alone it’s close. It elevates my GS3000x to Susvara or Utopia territory IMO.

Nov 28, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #63,314 of 65,605
If you’re willing to spend a little bit of money and can find one on the used market, my Focal Arche is the best SS I’ve heard with Grados bar none. Especially with a tube preamp. It’s just liquid smooth bliss with crystalline highs. Class-A power. I’m usually a tube guy but it feels sort of like the best of both worlds, you maintain the analytical nature of SS with a hint of tube warmth that removes the typical shrillness you get from Grado on wrong amp pairings. Granted i’m running it with a Chord Dave into a McIntosh C2300 preamp which brings it into the end game territory but even with the built in DAC alone it’s close. It elevates my GS3000x to Susvara or Utopia territory IMO.
I concur that the Arche is a brilliant match with Grados - it sounded superb with my GH1.

1701159027802.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back