Grado Fan Club!
Sep 30, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #62,806 of 66,053
A little history on @jonathan c
Screen Shot 2023-09-30 at 1.27.58 AM.png

Sep 30, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #62,807 of 66,053
I guess everybody wants to hear how my GS3000x saga continues/ends, right? I'm prepared for deafening silence, as with the past few installments :wink: This will most probably be the last one though.

Well, yesterday I was visiting m local shop (for another purpose actually) and the second unit was already back from the distributor. They exchanged the drivers to a matched pair the had laying around (for unnamed reasons). And lo and behold, we now have a working unit. After just 3 tries. Still can't believe I had two bad units straight.

Since I had my Hugo with me, I used that for listening. Of course the working GS3000x sounds much better than the partial impressions I got from the last two, with a nice, airy presentation, emphasizing upper mids/lower treble without sounding sharp. It was detailed and lively, but while I did not have my GH2 with me, from memory I'd say there was less lower bass. What was there was of good definition, and it had more bass than the GS1000x (which I found just too anemic for my tastes). Wearing comfort was good, I did not much feel the increased weight vs. GH2.

While I still enjoy my GH2, I think I'll not follow up with the GS3000x anymore. My shop agreed to take them into demo, so I can eventually revisit them, yet I think I'm happy with the two Grados I already own. It does look beautiful though...

IMG_1724.jpegIMG_1720.jpegIMG_1719.jpeg

Sep 30, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #62,808 of 66,053
Studio versus Living Room Look :relaxed:

Sep 30, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #62,811 of 66,053
RA1 keeps doing amazing thing with GS3000x...

IMG_0368.jpeg

Sep 30, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #62,812 of 66,053
Here is the whole system. Power: Stromtank s1000, streamer: Holo Red, Dac: Aries Cerat Heléne, amp: Grado RA-1. Power cables are Shunyata, signal RCA is Mundorf silver ribbon cable. Talk about crazy. Right now playing the soundtrack of Vampyros Lesbos...

IMG_0371.jpeg

Sep 30, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #62,813 of 66,053
which grado model has the most BASS, smooth, flat MID, and the smooth, natural, flat mid-treble, treble?

which is the latest grado model anyway? rs1E?
The 'x' series are the latest Grado models. The 'x' series is generally a shade warmer than their 'e' series counterparts. For someone who likes to capitalize BASS, the PS500e might be your jam 😁 if you can find one. There is no PS500x officially

Sep 30, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #62,814 of 66,053
which grado model has the most BASS, smooth, flat MID, and the smooth, natural, flat mid-treble, treble?

which is the latest grado model anyway? rs1E?
Hemp and 325x should be in your radar.

Sep 30, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #62,815 of 66,053
Sep 30, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #62,816 of 66,053
It seems I am mistaken @joseph69 , Todd said Hemp pads were TTVJ “Flat” pads. Though it is true that Grado had them manufactured separately from TTVJ, so dont know if specced exactly the same but dont see any contradiction to that. Ive not seen statement from Grado.

Oof and good night!
How embarrassing.

I see that the SBAF Grado Hemp and x-series threads mistakenly presume F-pads are a new variant inspired by TTVJ Deluxe pads. That is where I was confused. Somehow the TTVJ Flats were completely ignored.

I tried TTVJ Deluxe Flats with RS2e and thought it too colored relative to Hemp. I would be curious to try both again, as I feel I would rather RS2x (F-pads) be a little brighter or little more v-shaped like RS2e (from memory). Or perhaps TTVJ Deluxe Flats are the missing ingredient for RS2x (for me)? Might order a set. Will reread purr1n’s impressions + measures of x-series padrolling. Or maybe I need to try RS2e again since my situation has changed, or one of the limited beauties like GH-4. From memory, I dont like the weight of the metal Grado so no PS.

Quick comparison between SR80 vs RS2x, both using F-pads: SR80 just a tiny bit warmer, less clear and detailed from top to bottom, but SR80 still retains the wonderful snappy transient presentation and still very detailed for $50 (as detailed as HD650 in my estimation). So, Im going to use the incoming hybrid pads to turn SR80 into my most comfy full-sized portable, hopefully the hybrid pads make them bassier than velour variant of pads, and hopefully the largeness of the pads relative to F-pads makes soundstage incredible for gaming and movies, and if everything goes well Ill add cable connectors.

Eventually I will start measuring the headphones and pads on flat-plate coupler for relative comparisons.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #62,817 of 66,053
According to sbaf measures (post #17), RS2e appears to be slightly more v-shaped relative to RS2x, but RS2x might have better distortion and increased detail. Hmmm, I would like to try again RS2e

edit: nvm, ill look to purchase

From purr1n measures, RS2e appear to have more treble presence which is I think what I found as too “colored” in past demo. That may still be true but maybe I wont care or will enjoy or will prefer tradeoff. Willing to try.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #62,818 of 66,053
Probably placebo, but RS2x sounds better from desktop rig than Apple dongle: improved blackground which translates to more detail.
[Magni+, -8 gain]
IMG_0954.jpeg

^ Even at -8 gain, I still have to have the Apple Music pre-amp volume turned down 50%.

Bass does sound weightier* than I recall. Ive had this sensation before switching from iPhone dongle to desktop rig with other headphones, possibly placebo.
*weightier = more full (warm), detail, dynamic

edit: removed misinformation

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #62,819 of 66,053
Probably placebo, but RS2x sounds better from desktop rig than Apple dongle: improved blackground which translates to more detail.
[Magni+, -8 gain]
IMG_0954.jpeg
^ Even at -8 gain, I still have to have the Apple Music pre-amp volume turned down 50%, and that's with music not dynamically compressed to schiit. (related)

Bass does sound weightier* than I recall. Ive had this sensation before switching from iPhone dongle to desktop rig with other headphones, possibly placebo.

Actually, the RS2x sounds far better on my desktop setups, especially Schiit Asgard 3 / ModiMultibit 2 combination.

Sep 30, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #62,820 of 66,053
[Magni+, -8 gain]
IMG_0954.jpeg
^ Even at -8 gain, I still have to have the Apple Music pre-amp volume turned down 50%, and that's with music not dynamically compressed to schiit. (related)

Very unlikely that placebo is operating here. That Schiit desktop gear is pretty damn good.☑️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back