Grado Fan Club!
Aug 27, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #62,536 of 65,789
My very recent experience tells me the GS3000x is not the simple, best choice Grado… I’d rather go for either the Hemp or maybe the RS2x

Just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean it's generally bad. Many seem to be very happy with them. Although as i said before i doubt they are the best way to start with Grado headphones.

Aug 27, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #62,537 of 65,789
Part of the fun of them is going up the chain.. for me anyways.. however it’s also fun to stick to the prestige series and know you got great phones for the money.. and just great phones. Period. if you get 3000x first it will feel mandatory to get their highest offering from the years coming here on out…

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #62,539 of 65,789
Just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean it's generally bad. Many seem to be very happy with them. Although as i said before i doubt they are the best way to start with Grado headphones.
I've been using/appreciating Grado's since 2008. I started with SR60 and now am a VERY happy owner of the GS3000x. I did try virtually all the headphones in their lineup. I appreciate them all, and have kept several for my permanent collection. Some people enjoy the journey, and others "just want to get there".

Which ever way your pleasure tends...........:sunglasses:

Leo

Aug 27, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #62,540 of 65,789
Ah no, that’s not what I meant. It was more about the sound signature.

I wouldn’t even call it a bad experience. Dead on arrival can happen, even if nobody wants that. It’s not that they somehow mistreated me, I’m quite sure that we‘ll find a solution for the left driver that’s not working flawlessly.

My overall assessment is obviously impeded by that malfunction. That’s why I don’t want to talk too much about comparisons etc, but I think it’s not that defective to not show its character.

Obviously I may have to revise my assessment once I have a fully functioning headphone. I’d be very happy if I then find it to fully satisfy my (admittedly high) expectations.

So in summary: my critique is that I wonder how that state escaped end control (or driver matching). Also the marks on the wood are not good form. Sound signature might not quite be what I hoped for, but that’s the risk of buying blind. So no problem with that, if in the end I really don’t like it, I will simply sell it. No hard feelings.

Aug 27, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #62,541 of 65,789
I've been using/appreciating Grado's since 2008. I started with SR60 and now am a VERY happy owner of the GS3000x. I did try virtually all the headphones in their lineup. I appreciate them all, and have kept several for my permanent collection. Some people enjoy the journey, and others "just want to get there".

Which ever way your pleasure tends...........:sunglasses:

Leo
I can agree with that completely, but there is a trend from what I read online anyways of people who are not happy with the Grado sound so might be best to spend just a bit to step your feet into the water and see if you like how it feels.. at the same time if I had the money and was totally confident in the 3000x man my heart would be racing when that package arrived at my doorstep and would be an experience unto itself.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #62,542 of 65,789
Yes, this is absolutely a problem... it was not a clear positive decision anyway, with those owning one remaining suspiciously silent upon my requests, and me liking the GH2 so much, I maybe had unrealistic expectations. Seeing them crushed that hard may be a bit too much to ever like the GS3000x.

I was just given the Grado reps official first aid procedure... will try later. If that doesn't help, I'll have to send it in. Lets see what happens then... but, as outlined above, I think it will be looking for a new owner once this is sorted out.

Very good question... I'd say, the statement was indifference towards their TOTL product. Which, again, raises the question how that driver matching to 0.05dB actually works... it it were to use many different frequencies I can hardly imagine that process not catching a defective driver. Plus they seem to not do a final check. Or did something happen on the way to me? But why would it impact only one driver then?

Lets see how this works out...

Matching physical appearance, though to balance all out this is the right cup:
IMG_1267.jpeg
I would send them back

Aug 27, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #62,543 of 65,789
It depends on your budget
I have not herd the 3000x but would love too.I have listened to the 325x on rock/metal/indie and they are excellent.
+1 SR325x, especially those genres

Aug 27, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #62,545 of 65,789
Thank you everyone for your advice! I have noted down all your suggestions for future reference. My budget for the whole thing including the DAC/Amp would be $7000 Singapore dollars so that is around $5200 USD. I really want to bring out the best in them. I'm fixed on only getting flagship so the GS3000x will be what I get first. Need to hunt for the dac amp next. I will keep you guys updated 🙌
Since you are set towards GS3000x - a marvelous headphone - for the DAC, go for an R2R topology. Being in Singapore, check out Denafrips Pontus II or Denafrips Terminator II at Vinshine Audio.

Aug 27, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #62,546 of 65,789
Hello people, I am new to the audiophile world, I came across a video by Z reviews and then researched about it a bit and I feel like purchasing my first high end headphones. The music I listen to are mostly rock/indie/metal and hip hop. I now use Tidal hifi plus. I find Grado headphones to be so beautiful and since they also have a long history, i feel like getting my first one from them.

Should I buy the GS3000x? and if so what dac/amp should i use? I would like my set up to be as minimum as possible too. I heard that the cable is not removable, is that a problem? I like Grado because of the family run background and the appearance of the headphones.
Start with the 325x to see if you like Grados. The 325x probably is the most "consumer oriented" sound among the more entry-level Grados, as in there's more bass and less treble. They're very good with your preferred genres.

The 325x are $295 USD. That's a smarter play than diving off the cliff head-first and dropping $2,000 USD on the GS3000x. The best advice in this hobby is to crawl, walk and then run, even if you have money to burn. You're trying to be Usain Bolt on your first training run.

Aug 27, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #62,547 of 65,789
I would send them back

That’s what I’m saying. No point in kissing your dealer’s ass, unless you have plenty of extra cash to spare. I wouldn’t let them pull that crap on me I don’t care if it was my best friend.
I’ll work on a solution next week. I’m sure my local shop will prove helpful in that regard.

No one is trying anything shady though. This is just bad luck I’d say. I’m sure they did not send a bad unit on purpose. And I’m also sure it’s brand new — it still smells like new :wink:

Aug 27, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #62,548 of 65,789
I can agree with that completely, but there is a trend from what I read online anyways of people who are not happy with the Grado sound so might be best to spend just a bit to step your feet into the water and see if you like how it feels.. at the same time if I had the money and was totally confident in the 3000x man my heart would be racing when that package arrived at my doorstep and would be an experience unto itself.
Be confident, I was before and most certainly afterwards.

Aug 27, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #62,549 of 65,789
So after spending some time with the PS500 (#3447) and PS500x (oddly no serial #) I will say that the most succinct way of describe the differences are thus:
PS500= Tube Amp Characteristics
PS500x= Solid State Amp Characteristics

I used the CEntrance DACPortable in High Gain Mode and no EQ. I only used 16/44(Red Book) samples for my initial listening session.

The PS500 present with a warmer less energetic sound by way of having a more prominent mid-bass and and sweeter treble. The mids sound very organic and open. Over all the sound signature is a soft “U” shaped curve. The bass is very weighted and speedy but with that rise of the mid-bass into the mids and smooth treble response you get a kind of syrupy liquid sound. Very relaxed and easy listening experience. The PS500 is not as efficient as the PS500x and requires a touch more power too.

The PS500x is more efficient and easier to drive. What I noticed immediately was the stark contrast in detail retrieval and speed or attack of sound. The PS500x makes the PS500 sound almost veiled in comparison. The PS500x still retains the soft “U” shaped curve but arrives there differently. It has a more neutral mid-bass allowing for the sub-bass to shine. This allows more room for the mids to present with more detail and nuance. The treble is more illuminating here and oh so airy! Micro details are more easily fleshed out and aids in providing a wider soundstage with a more expressive holography. The only downside to this type presentation is that sibilance can be teased out more easily.

Only time will tell with how the PS500x settles into its own with more hours on the drivers though. I purchased the PS500 used on the bay and bought new L-Cushions for them. So I’m sure I’ll have more definitive impressions over time.

I’m happy to have learned that the cups incorporated into the PS500x are Maple wood as I do enjoy my GS2000e which use mahogany and maple wood hybrid earcups.

I think these two Grado models complement each other quite well!

Aug 27, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #62,550 of 65,789
I’ll work on a solution next week. I’m sure my local shop will prove helpful in that regard.

No one is trying anything shady though. This is just bad luck I’d say. I’m sure they did not send a bad unit on purpose. And I’m also sure it’s brand new — it still smells like new :wink:
I bought Grado Rs1e’s “new” from moon audio a few years ago. They were clearly not new. And were fully broken in on arrival. They sprayed that “new product smell” chemical spray all over the cable extension cable which is included with rs1e and it was the only thing that smelled new in the whole box and quite profusely. They were probably hoping it would spread all over the other product in the box by the time it arrived. Makes me want to turn my back from the whole hifi field too be honest from that experience. Did the headphones last? No not even 6 months.. the black dragon I had installed broke at the cable connection after being taken care of gently during the whole time. I tried doing something with them over time but that didn’t pan out either. Never doing a custom job like that again that’s for sure! And as far as I’m concerned.. I am only buying a new headphone shortly after or right after it is out on sale from now on,. You just never can be 100% sure man.. even from a reputable company.. even they have to keep recycling old as new again to make that money..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back