Grado Fan Club!
Jun 25, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #61,366 of 65,629
Jun 26, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #61,371 of 65,629
Grado Bushmills weren’t completely closed.
They had an opening nearby all the way around the cup.
I had a pair many years ago.

If you want a closed back with similar sound to Grado how about the Beyer T5p?
I own a Astell & Kern version the T5p 2nd Generation and I’m happy with them.
I don’t know if they’re tuned differently from the standard T5p but they do come with a cable that’s made from copper, silver plated copper and pure silver.
There very easy too drive and have a bass boosted clean sound.

Jun 26, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #61,372 of 65,629
… one only ‘rents’ beer …

1687805830421.png

Let me piss on it
Baby baby let me piss on it
Let me piss on it
And I'll give you an answer in the morning

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #61,373 of 65,629
I bought a set of headphones from Underwood HiFi called LSA HP-2's. They were a beautiful pair of closed backs for a pretty good price. They were a little light in the bass for me though and not what I was looking for in a closed back.
However I thought the sound was Very similar to the Grado sound. By the time I sold them I was referring to them as being "like" closed back Grado's.

Jun 26, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #61,374 of 65,629
Jun 26, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #61,376 of 65,629
I think others may have asked this before, but what is the closest thing to a closed-back Hemp?
I really like the Final Sonorous line as far as a Grado-y closed back. They have nice sparkly treble; forward mids; adequate bass. Also super easy to drive. Just like a Grado. They also have a nice, lightweight, detachable cable which would be perfect for a Grado in some parallel universe where Grado wasn't so stubborn.

FYI, I have the Sonorous II and VI. Can't vouch for the III or IV.

Jun 26, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #61,377 of 65,629
I bought a set of headphones from Underwood HiFi called LSA HP-2's. They were a beautiful pair of closed backs for a pretty good price. They were a little light in the bass for me though and not what I was looking for in a closed back.
However I thought the sound was Very similar to the Grado sound. By the time I sold them I was referring to them as being "like" closed back Grado's.
Aren't those basically the same as the Kennerton Gjallarhorn ? There's lots of gushing about them over on the Kennerton thread, if I'm not mistaken.

I also have the Kennerton Magni which I like but are more warm and bassy than Grado-y.

Jun 26, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #61,378 of 65,629
I really like the Final Sonorous line as far as a Grado-y closed back. They have nice sparkly treble; forward mids; adequate bass. Also super easy to drive. Just like a Grado. They also have a nice, lightweight, detachable cable which would be perfect for a Grado in some parallel universe where Grado wasn't so stubborn.

FYI, I have the Sonorous II and VI. Can't vouch for the III or IV.
I can vouch for the VI. You are right, they are very Grado like in that respect.

Jun 26, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #61,379 of 65,629
Aren't those basically the same as the Kennerton Gjallarhorn ? There's lots of gushing about them over on the Kennerton thread, if I'm not mistaken.

I also have the Kennerton Magni which I like but are more warm and bassy than Grado-y.
Some people compare them to the Gjallarhorns, but I hear they are a lot bassier.

I found the LSA HP-2's a nice all round headphone, but a little bass light. A beautiful looking and sounding headphone. Also, light and comfortable. I went a different way for closed backs.

Jun 27, 2023 at 12:20 AM Post #61,380 of 65,629
Thank you all for the replies. Unfortunately, LSA HP-2, T5p, and Sonorous are all too heavy for my fragile neck. I'm sorry should've mentioned that, as I was hoping to find something under 300 grams.
So I'm changing my question, is there any lightweight closed-back that you guys enjoy as a companion for your Grado's (or in particular, Hemps)? It doesn't have to have a Grado-like sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back