Grado Fan Club!
May 15, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #60,721 of 65,633
I think the last sentence I posted in this thread was: ''...time to stop buying and simply enjoy the music!!!''

Well, that self restraint lasted at least for... a week?
20230512_163604.jpg

Although my intention was to pick up some nice tube amp (inspired by all those beautiful pics in this thread) in the future, I picked up a used Violectric V100 on a local site in the meantime. Not sorry at all though, as it turned out to sound great with most of my headphones so far :)

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #60,722 of 65,633
Those are the Dekoni sheepskin fenestrated earpads.

I wanted to ask you (or anyone with the Dekoni Sheepskin Fenestrated pads) - do these increase the bass somehow? I thought they would be similar to G-Cush in that they would give you a bit more soundstage/less bass due to the width?

May 15, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #60,723 of 65,633
I wanted to ask you (or anyone with the Dekoni Sheepskin Fenestrated pads) - do these increase the bass somehow? I thought they would be similar to G-Cush in that they would give you a bit more soundstage/less bass due to the width?
They didn't for me. What they do is move the drivers a lot further from your ears. I had to turn up the volume to hear at my preferred level.
I do find that my Shipibo pads add a bit of bass.

But when I find them feeling a bit bass light, I put them on the iFi with some bass boost or on a tube amp.

May 15, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #60,724 of 65,633
They didn't for me. What they do is move the drivers a lot further from your ears. I had to turn up the volume to hear at my preferred level.

But when I find them feeling a bit bass light, I put them on the iFi with some bass boost or on a tube amp.
Awesome. That's what I want to hear. I really didn't want to mess with the tuning as much, definitely dont mind more soundstage, but I do not want to add to the bass. And those pads look really good and very comfortable. Thank you!

May 15, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #60,725 of 65,633

I completely agree. I love tube gear for its unique and open sound but I don’t think I could better my combination right now. The XI AUDIO Form S and Powerman is ridiculously good. Solid state works a treat with grados.

Now that I’ve gone past the initial burn in on the Rs1x I don’t think I’ve ever heard this much musical information from any setup

May 15, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #60,726 of 65,633
Congratulations!!

They do get loud.

I just got them and I am mesmerized, you won‘t believe how many BT headphones I’ve tried and shaken my head at over the years with weak sauce volume. This one I can’t even listen at max on some songs without my eardrums getting uncomfortable. Also running it off my iPad without any fancy apt-x or quality Bluetooth codecs and yet it is so airy and detailed in the sound none the less.

May 15, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #60,727 of 65,633
I just got them and I am mesmerized, you won‘t believe how many BT headphones I’ve tried and shaken my head at over the years with weak sauce volume. This one I can’t even listen at max on some songs without my eardrums getting uncomfortable. Also running it off my iPad without any fancy apt-x or quality Bluetooth codecs and yet it is so airy and detailed in the sound none the less.
Is the GW100x your first Grado?

May 15, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #60,728 of 65,633
Is the GW100x your first Grado?

No not at all, but I’d say it’s one of the finer Grados and also Bluetooth HPs I’ve heard, the quality to price ratio is off the charts. I find the Sony WH series muddy and the Focal Bathys has a nice golden sound but again no dynamism or decent volume output.

May 15, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #60,729 of 65,633
No not at all, but I’d say it’s one of the finer Grados and also Bluetooth HPs I’ve heard, the quality to price ratio is off the charts. I find the Sony WH series muddy and the Focal Bathys has a nice golden sound but again no dynamism or decent volume output.
You guys are making a great case to go out and snag one of these! I gave up on any decent BT HPs a long time ago. Nice to see this to be a real contender.

May 15, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #60,730 of 65,633

Yeah, like I said, I was blown away. I'm glad you liked it!!!

You guys are making a great case to go out and snag one of these! I gave up on any decent BT HPs a long time ago. Nice to see this to be a real contender.

This is a really great headphone. Even if didn't have BT, it would still be worth the asking price.

May 15, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #60,731 of 65,633
Yeah, like I said, I was blown away. I'm glad you liked it!!!

This is a really great headphone. Even if didn't have BT, it would still be worth the asking price.

I threw some G-cush’s on it for kicks and it is comically large, but combined the HP is light as a feather on your head with its plastic build so anyone whose ever complained about Grado wires or comfort can rest easy now :)

May 15, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #60,732 of 65,633
I threw some G-cush’s on it for kicks and it is comically large, but combined the HP is light as a feather on your head with its plastic build so anyone whose ever complained about Grado wires or comfort can rest easy now :)

It will sound even better in a couple of days. Unless I'm imagining things, my pair was great out of the box, but now it sounds even better.

Grado did a really fine job of tuning the drivers. I'm almost at the point where I would be willing to declare that I like the GW100x better than my GH2 and my RS2e (how it sounds, not how it looks). The highs are not sharp...the lows are not flabby...just perfection.

I wish I had the cajones to tear it apart and transplant the guts into wood cups.

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #60,733 of 65,633
It will sound even better in a couple of days. Unless I'm imagining things, my pair was great out of the box, but now it sounds even better.

Grado did a really fine job of tuning the drivers. I'm almost at the point where I would be willing to declare that I like the GW100x better than my GH2 and my RS2e (how it sounds, not how it looks). The highs are not sharp...the lows are not flabby...just perfection.

I wish I had the cajones to tear it apart and transplant the guts into wood cups.

I’d be curious who their foreign manufacturer was and if that played in any part in dictating how the final product sounded, the Chinese are so big on neutral tunings. I agree also it is a very friendly sound, still has hints of the Grado house sound but a bit more controlled and tamed if that makes sense. Now we just need a wireless wood version if this one is a success!

May 15, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #60,734 of 65,633
Grado ‘wooden’ classics … sound without pretense … !!
AC6C8279-9B7A-45CD-B3EE-AC9BC7F3531E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back