Grado Fan Club!
May 11, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #60,676 of 65,942
Wow. Looks like it was a busy day on the old Grado thread :sunglasses:

jimcarrey.gif

May 11, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #60,677 of 65,942
Interesting. I would actually prefer if Grado would use DPS with option to choose different presents. Maybe next model?

In a majorhifi review for the V1 they mentioned that it has SR225e drivers. If the X has modified 225x drivers...and if the Hemp uses 225 drivers...that would explain why the GW100x sounds so good (they sound as good as a Hemp). But I'm liking the GW100x better than the Hemp and it is giving the RS2e a run for it's money.

And it's wireless. I have not taken this headphone off my head all day. I cooked and ate lunch with them on. I took the trash out with them on. I went to the bath...err...I did some other stuff with them on. When I sit in front of the computer I plug in the wire and pick up were I left off instantaneously (there is a slight delay as my computer figures out what is going on). I'm using them with the aliexpress/Dekoni velour pads right now. I'll switch to the L pads one of these days to see what change those pads produce.

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #60,678 of 65,942
In a majorhifi review for the V1 they mentioned that it has SR225e drivers. If the X has modified 225x drivers...and if the Hemp uses 225 drivers...that would explain why the GW100x sounds so good (they sounds as good as a Hemp). But I'm liking the GW100x better than the Hemp and it is giving the RS2e a run for it's money.

And it's wireless. I have not taken this headphone off my head all day. I cooked and ate lunch with them on. I took the trash out with them on. I went to the bath...err...I did some other stuff with them on. When I sit in front of the computer I plug in the wire and pick up were I left off instantaneously (there is a slight delay as my computer figures out what is going on). I'm using them with the aliexpress/Dekoni velour pads right now. I'll switch to the L pads one of these days to see what change those pads produce.
I have a feeling that 325 and 225 have the same driver too.

May 11, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #60,679 of 65,942
Burn in of your mind to the headphone is real. With some headphones, the more you listen, the better it gets. With others, you will be screaming, flying out of the room. :)

200 hours isn't that hard to come by. 8 hours a day and in 30 days time, that's 240 hours. By the time RS1X is burned in, Autumn will be over and the glorious snow will fall. :relaxed:
ESL-1:
As I still have way more than a few phones still there will be some sitting by the sidelines at times. For convenience and less wear & tear I often use one of my Sony Discman players as a direct source for the session with one of my reference tracks that is very dynamic and set to infinite repeat. Use rechargeable batteries and your power costs drops too. Most recently that helped my new GS3000x arrive at Nirvana more quickly.

PS that model Sony Discman
(D-EJ100) actually was actually in it’s time listed on the Stereophile recommended components issues. I think it was considered the third best sounding Discman. They come up on eBay sometimes at less than $35. I have six or seven yet and I have given a few to friends. Handy too should you for any reason look 👀 to play CDs in your car 🚗 Through Aux input.

NEXT: THE TURNTABLE
ON WHEELS

Attachments

• IMG_3668.jpeg
    IMG_3668.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7889.jpeg
    IMG_7889.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #60,680 of 65,942
As I still have way more than a few phones still there will be some sitting by the sidelines at times. For convenience and less wear & tear I often use one of my Sony Discman players as a direct source for the session with one of my reference tracks that is very dynamic. Use rechargeable batteries and your power costs drops too. Most recently that helped my new GS3000x arrive at Nirvana more quickly.

I knew there's a reason why I kept this CD player around.

IMG_6101.jpg

May 12, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #60,685 of 65,942
Hey everyone - I'm searching for a Grado user/fan, first name Gene, who does detachable cable mods. I had him do one a few years ago (2019?), which was great, and I tried the email I had for him but no luck. Gene, if you're out there and still doing cable mods, love to hear from you.

May 12, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #60,686 of 65,942
I just wanted a bluetooth headphone...and what I got is blowing me away.

So interestingly I popped onto Amazon reviews this am and the first very detailed review said these are the loudest Bluetooth headphones on the market. Of course I have heard these bold words before but the same reviewer also mentioned the Ananda BT so he has at least sampled some of the best of the best for wireless. I immediately pulled the trigger. I’ve tried so many BTs HPs and they just never quite get loud enough to my taste always coming across as tinny to me. Hoping I might have finally found the end game for portables, it drives me mad my Focal Bathys has such sweet nectar sound yet has no balls.

May 12, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #60,687 of 65,942
It would be interesting to try the hd800 now but I think I would find it boring compared to the Rs1x.

I thought so too until I spend 2 days with HD800 and my new tube amp. I was quite shocked at how good it is. As enjoyable as the RS1X, if not more.

IMG_6089.jpg

May 12, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #60,688 of 65,942
I've had my og grado Sr60 for almost 2 decades. And I daily drive them on my desktop. And I always loved the house sound. Never had a negative thing to say about them(well...i would like to cable mod them but that's it).

However, somebody recently urged me to eq them. And wow. I've fallen in love all over again with these cans. I used oratory1990's sr60e Harman target settings. And I couldn't believe the sound. Knowing now the meaning of "these headphones respond well to eq". Never knew what people meant by that until now. The grados respond beautifully to eq.

So I'm using the app EasyEffects on Linux for my eq. And I've come here to see if anyone has any settings that they think I should try. Although I'm new to easyeffects and eq, so if it's a document like the oratory settings, I can easy follow then. But if someone says "add this or that to this and that region", I won't have the foggiest what to do.

I'll appreciate any help and any eq settings!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back