Grado Fan Club!
May 11, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #60,661 of 66,079
Wow a mention of burn in and already a few pages of reading go by.

I don’t get why anybody would chuckle at a person claiming he has heard cables sound different over time hence burn in. It’s this patronising stance that doesn’t help anyone.

It would be better to say I’ve not experienced this therefore I’m not convinced.

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #60,662 of 66,079
Okay, this might be true, but how do you explain this...

I just received a GW100x and Menkau-ra asked me to describe the low end. I listened to a song I know well and I noticed that the bass was punchy, but I could not hear almost any sub-bass. Compared to my RS2e, I could only hear faint smacks in the background where I know the drummer was going crazy with the kick drum. In my reply I mentioned that I needed to let the headphone burn in for a while.

Yesterday, after around 20-30 hours of use, I noticed that the sub-bass had opened up. I went back to that song and now I hear powerful thumps that go as deep as what my RS2e can produce.

When I first heard the GW100x I thought the model was all about the mid bass...because I could not hear much sub bass. Is my brain perceiving the sub bass differently now? Are my ears lying to me now, or were they lying to me the day before yesterday when I first opened the package? Am I imagining that the headphone has great sub bass, or was I imagining that it was lacking sub bass a couple of days ago?

Ultimately, who cares if I was imagining things those first two days I had the GW100x in my hands. The thing sounds great now (it works for me), and that is all that matters.
Thanks for your response but honestly you could explain all day it won’t make much of a difference. These guys will go on and on. I think they are trying to prove they are really intelligent. But when their aim is to win an argument rather than discover something it’s difficult to converse with them. People find it very difficult to say “I don’t know” somehow everything must be explained and the limited information they have is satisfactory for an explanation from their perspective.

We are a physical being that that have developed senses to perceive the world. Our brain learns how to collect all this information and form a conclusion. Yet for a specific test we should be blind folding ourselves and confuse our own sensory perception to achieve what exactly? Our senses are designed to work in tandem. And yes idiots will argue “but that biased”…. Guess what? Everything we do is biased in one way or another. Even a blind test is biased.

Yet everything I have written is in vain. They will never concede that they might not know or that it’s possible that peoples experiences are valid and there is a possibility it’s a physical change that exists that cannot be measured by the tools available. It must all be in our heads 👍👍👍

I’ll add a quote that seems very fitting. I actually read it on another forum.

“Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts”

Albert Einstein.

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #60,664 of 66,079
Yet everything I have written is in vain. They will never concede that they might not know or that it’s possible that peoples experiences are valid and there is a possibility it’s a physical change that exists that cannot be measured by the tools available. It must all be in our heads 👍👍👍

Who cares about burn-in (real or not)!?!?

What matters is the headphones.

Have I told you how freaking amazing the GW100x is? I bet most people dismiss this headphone (no one talks about it or asks about it) because it is a bluetooth model...or perhaps they don't care because of how it looks (it is not the best looking Grado). Maybe people think they just slapped a bluetooth module to a couple of SR60 drivers. Man, what I mistake it is to dismiss this model. I think the GW100x is in the same league (in sound quality) as the GH/RS models.

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #60,665 of 66,079
I went through about 13 tube amps, ~500 tubes, ~15 headphones. I'm not done burning them in. Every listening session is optimising them.

Some would go as far as burn in their purple fuse but I draw the line there.

May 11, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #60,666 of 66,079
Congratulations on your new grados! I was unaware of that model. Can it be used wired? I would be concerned about the life of the internal battery. Is it replaceable?
Who cares about burn-in (real or not)!?!?

What matters is the headphones.

Have I told you how freaking amazing the GW100x is? I bet most people dismiss this headphone (no one talks about it or asks about it) because it is a bluetooth model...or perhaps they don't care because of how it looks (it is not the best looking Grado). Maybe people think they just slapped a bluetooth module to a couple of SR60 drivers. Man, what I mistake it is to dismiss this model. I think the GW100x is in the same league (in sound quality) as the GH/RS models

May 11, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #60,667 of 66,079
Congratulations on your new grados! I was unaware of that model. Can it be used wired? I would be concerned about the life of the internal battery. Is it replaceable?
They can be used with a wire...and they sound slightly better that way.

The battery is not replaceable (as far as I know), but I'm sure Grado can replace it for a fee. Also, some guy took the guts out of his GW100 and put them in wood cups. There are some pictures in another thread...and it looks pretty good. I might try this if the battery needs to be replaced.

Pictures: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/grado-wireless-series.884038/page-10

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #60,668 of 66,079
I might have been tempted but from my limited experience of the X series driver, I returned the 325x, I think the bass might be too forward for me. Interesting to see if grado implement this on future releases too.

...they are priced very well though...

May 11, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #60,669 of 66,079

Actually, I did an over ear build will custom copper and spalted maple.

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #60,670 of 66,079
I might have been tempted but from my limited experience of the X series driver, I returned the 325x, I think the bass might be too forward for me. Interesting to see if grado implement this on future releases too.

...they are priced very well though...

I've got to let them burn in (so my imagination can be fully and utterly convinced)...but so far...

I think the bass of the GW100x is better than that of the RS2e -- slightly less quantity and it is less boomy. Also, the highs of the RS2e can be sibilant...no such problem with the GW100x. I wasn't expecting this quality when I purchased the GW100x. I just wanted a bluetooth headphone...and what I got is blowing me away.

May 11, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #60,671 of 66,079
Interesting. So it's not just an existing model with added Bluetooth goodness?

May 11, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #60,672 of 66,079
Interesting. So it's not just an existing model with added Bluetooth goodness?

I think they are special.

Now I really, really want to try out the RS2x.

May 11, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #60,673 of 66,079
Probably not the best idea because GW100x uses DSP correction. Zeos has a good review on V2 model.

May 11, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #60,674 of 66,079
Probably not the best idea because GW100x uses DSP correction. Zeos has a good review on V2 model.
This is not the same as the V2 model (which was supposed to have bloated bass). Zeos said in his review that he did not like how his unit sounded wired and he prefered to listen via bluetooth. With the X model, I believe that the oposite is true. I don't hear a night and day difference between wired and bluetooth.

May 11, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #60,675 of 66,079
This is not the same as the V2 model (which was supposed to have bloated bass). Zeos said in his review that he did not like how his unit sounded wired and he prefered to listen via bluetooth. With the X model, I believe that the oposite is true. I don't hear a night and day difference between wired and bluetooth.
Interesting. I would actually prefer if Grado would use DPS with option to choose different presents. Maybe next model?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back