Grado Fan Club!
May 10, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #60,601 of 66,262
Nope I'm done with after market pads for headphones. I just got the ZMF pads for my HD800. After a day, I took it off and fortunately I got the original pads for Susvara.

On another topic, RS1X seems glued to my head. It's day 13 now. It's a low burn in. I think I have to get to day 30. :)
Of the Grados that I have, the RS-1x has been the most rewarding of patience. The RS-1x break-in took the longest (~200 hours), there were times when I almost threw in the ‘F.S.’ towel, but the improvements in balance - clarity - coherence - dynamics - soundstage kept me committed. And here we are!

May 10, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #60,602 of 66,262
Should I be concerned with this at all?

IMG_9541.jpeg

I’m guessing my ears touch the white mesh, and so the natural skin oils create a stain on that mesh.

Is that normal? It’s hard to avoid touching the mesh with these thin F-pads.
i use the i-cushion to avoid that and protect the speaker. also makes it way more comfy, sounds good too. i use the with f-pads too but don't have those on me right now.

Attachments

• IMG_20230509_232328.jpg
    IMG_20230509_232328.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
May 10, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #60,604 of 66,262
Of the Grados that I have, the RS-1x has been the most rewarding of patience. The RS-1x break-in took the longest (~200 hours), there were times when I almost threw in the ‘F.S.’ towel, but the improvements in balance - clarity - coherence - dynamics - soundstage kept me committed. And here we are!
Going through that now. I knew right away I much preferred this sound signature compared to others. But it’s beginning to sound more and more coherent every day. I am still leaving it on in the background most days.

May 10, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #60,605 of 66,262
Going through that now. I knew right away I much preferred this sound signature compared to others. But it’s beginning to sound more and more coherent every day. I am still leaving it on in the background most days.
My hunch is that the lengthy RS-1x break-in needed is a function of: the three-wood driver housing construction, the ‘new’ larger 50mm driver (in the Reference Series), and their interaction. No other Grado that I own has this ‘factor complexity’.

May 10, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #60,606 of 66,262
My hunch is that the lengthy RS-1x break-in needed is a function of: the three-wood driver housing construction, the ‘new’ larger 50mm driver (in the Reference Series), and their interaction. No other Grado that I own has this ‘factor complexity’.
Possibly, there are so many variables I have given up trying to figure out why burn in and break in exists but it does and boy what a difference it makes sometimes.

I’m also burning in the extension cable mind you, so that’s also a factor.
Today it sounds sweeter than the last time I listened.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #60,607 of 66,262
Possibly, there are so many variables I have given up trying to figure out why burn in and break in exists but it does and boy what a difference it makes sometimes.

I’m also burning in the extension cable mind you, so that’s also a factor.
Today it sounds a sweeter than the last time I listened.

"I’m also burning in the extension cable"
Wow.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #60,610 of 66,262
Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 4.54.29 PM.png

Friendly reminder to all you Hemp-Heads!

May 10, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #60,611 of 66,262

I have to nod in agreement to the above statement. RS1X might be the most important Grado for me.

May 10, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #60,612 of 66,262
Or...(plot twist) your mind needs to get used to the new sound :wink:

Where does the 200 hours come from?

Burn in of your mind to the headphone is real. With some headphones, the more you listen, the better it gets. With others, you will be screaming, flying out of the room. :)

200 hours isn't that hard to come by. 8 hours a day and in 30 days time, that's 240 hours. By the time RS1X is burned in, Autumn will be over and the glorious snow will fall. :relaxed:

May 11, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #60,613 of 66,262
Or...(plot twist) your mind needs to get used to the new sound :wink:

Where does the 200 hours come from?
People like to say that but if i don't even listen to the headphones for the burn-in time then how can my brain adjust to the sound?

In the end all headphones will be burnt-in, if you like it or not. That is unless you never use a certain hedphone.

May 11, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #60,614 of 66,262
People like to say that but if i don't even listen to the headphones for the burn-in time then how can my brain adjust to the sound?

In the end all headphones will be burnt-in, if you like it or not. That is unless you never use a certain hedphone.
Blind-tests have proven again and again that just telling a story about any product (wine, whisky, speakers, cables etc.) will make your brain perceive things differently. That goes for taste, hearing, smell etc. If you believe in (physical) break-in of speakers, it works.

May 11, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #60,615 of 66,262
A surprisingly large proportion of people, if blindfolded, struggle to tell tea from coffee. However, tea does taste different to coffee & we have every right (obligation?) to point this out.

Believe in burning in an extension cable if you like & post it here, but don't jump on us that think it is silly.

...on 2nd thoughts, forget it, believe what you want.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back