Grado Fan Club!
Apr 16, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #59,911 of 65,629
Oh look another video where Grados are dismissed because they don't follow the Harman curve.

To be fair I don't think the video was terrible, only moderately awful because he couldn't be bothered to stretch the headband. But what's the point of naming the 3 Grado models (SR80x/125x/225x) if he didn't do a deep dive into them and instead yapped about modding for most of the video? Also I don't think most people get a 225x to rip apart; they go for the 60x instead, or a used 60i/60e.

However, I'm all for having him evaluate the numerous Grado mods out there, from taping the L pads, or hole-punching the felt at the back of the drivers. Or even just measuring a bunch of the third-party pads. $15 Geekria pads may be cheap enough to not regret buying if they're no good, but there are also ultra boutique options like Dekoni or Beautiful Audio that cost over $100. It'd be nice to at least have that information to compare against the stock configuration.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #59,913 of 65,629
Oh look another video where Grados are dismissed because they don't follow the Harman curve.

To be fair I don't think the video was terrible, only moderately awful because he couldn't be bothered to stretch the headband. But what's the point of naming the 3 Grado models (SR80x/125x/225x) if he didn't do a deep dive into them and instead yapped about modding for most of the video? Also I don't think most people get a 225x to rip apart; they go for the 60x instead, or a used 60i/60e.
Aaaaa…I thought it was pretty terrible and he had no idea what he should suggest for people to do other than rebuild. As any product there are certain things that may need to be done before you get to the destination. Just saying….

PS I often enjoy his reviews but this was something he should have researched more that he could have been way more informed.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #59,914 of 65,629
Typical idiot reviewer who does not know what he is talking about.

They feel cheap. My old SR60 might feel a little cheap, but my GS3000e is a different story. The HD800 (mostly plastic) feels cheap next to the GS3000e. And what is the difference between a GS3000e and something like an Audezee or a ZMF? We are talking about wood, metal and plastic in all three cases.

There is a difference between feeling cheap and being cheaply made. That old SR60 of mine would have survived a nuclear war along with all the coackroaches.

This guy shows a plastic Grado as an example and then he argues that all Grados are cheaply made, all of them sit on your ear, and all of them crush your head (go look at the HD650 for head crushing clamping force). You don't like an on-ear model? Well, don't buy one. I don't like sushi, so I don't go to sushi restaurants. This review is the equivalent of me going to a Japanese restaurant voluntarily and then continously complaining about the food.

This guy most likely got into headphones during the Grado hating era...and now, on his youtube soapbox, he is just regurgitating everything he heard before..."listen to my unoriginal ditribe and give me a like for my troubles".
Thank you for watching that so I dont have to 😁

Youtube is Exhibit A for why we're destined to be ruled by a sentient AI.

Apr 16, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #59,915 of 65,629
Also I don't think most people get a 225x to rip apart; they go for the 60x instead, or a used 60i/60e.

I did :ksc75smile:(a 225i, that is)...and this is the result:

IMG_2857.JPGIMG_2858.JPG

They look great...and they sound amazing. Some cups deserve something better than a 60, 80 or a 125.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #59,916 of 65,629
One thing I love about Grado is that they aren't dazzled by luxery lifestyle, even being a hi-end audio company. I don't know, but for me this is unique and very important. For the kind of music I hear and artists I like, using something super fancy it's a bit strange.

As for the sound, for me everything sound normal compared to Grado. Even if it's better. Even compared to the cheapest models. I don't want a super sophisticated, refined and delicate sound. It doesn't connect to me, and live music is so far from it.

I love Grado. They are not the best, they are unique. And sometimes better means nothing. The heart and intention behind a piece of art and product for me means a lot.

Apr 16, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #59,917 of 65,629

However, I'm all for having him evaluate the numerous Grado mods out there, from taping the L pads, or hole-punching the felt at the back of the drivers. Or even just measuring a bunch of the third-party pads. $15 Geekria pads may be cheap enough to not regret buying if they're no good, but there are also ultra boutique options like Dekoni or Beautiful Audio that cost over $100. It'd be nice to at least have that information to compare against the stock configuration.
It didn't seem to me that he even listened to them. He didn't really talk about his experience listening to the headphones, he mentioned mainly the measurements. I don't mind the "objectivist" style, but he didn't talk much about his time listening to them. In the end, his not liking them is nbd. I don't like HD6x0 headphones, and that's a bit weird because they're beloved. Everyone can feel how they want! The hobby is still awesome.

Apr 16, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #59,918 of 65,629
It didn't seem to me that he even listened to them. He didn't really talk about his experience listening to the headphones, he mentioned mainly the measurements. I don't mind the "objectivist" style, but he didn't talk much about his time listening to them. In the end, his not liking them is nbd. I don't like HD6x0 headphones, and that's a bit weird because they're beloved. Everyone can feel how they want! The hobby is still awesome.
That's why Grado calls their sales site "4ourEars", they make headphones for listening - not measuring.

Measurements can be useful, but how the headphones sound to you on your equipment is the best assessment of their value.

Apr 16, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #59,919 of 65,629
this was something he should have researched more that he could have been way more informed.

Was it?

It seemed to me like he just wanted to stir up controversy for likes and giggles. I think he knew exactly what he was doing.

He started his disinformation campaign video by saying, "Okay, so this one might get just a little bit spicy". And his little nefarious plan worked. Grado fans are irrate...and Grado haters are probably loving it. Lots of views and, hopefully, lots of likes.

This guy is the Anti-Tyll. He is evil personified. You gotta hold a crusifix (made out of cocobolo) when you get close to him or the non-detachable cables will fall off your Grados...and they will start to grattle even if they are not connected to a source.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #59,921 of 65,629
Was it?

It seemed to me like he just wanted to stir up controversy for likes and giggles. I think he knew exactly what he was doing.

He started his disinformation campaign video by saying, "Okay, so this one might get just a little bit spicy". And his little nefarious plan worked. Grado fans are irrate...and Grado haters are probably loving it. Lots of view and, hopefully, lots of likes.

This guy is the Anti-Tyll. He is evil personified. You gotta hold a crusifix (made out of cocobolo) when you get close to him or the non-detachable cables will fall off your Grados...and they will start to grattle even if they are not connected to a source.

Going to sleep with a smile on my face.

Apr 16, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #59,922 of 65,629
Was it?

He started his disinformation campaign video by saying, "Okay, so this one might get just a little bit spicy". And his little nefarious plan worked. Grado fans are irrate...and Grado haters are probably loving it.

Elvergun, your reactions are his oxygen: ignore him ==> editorial suffocation ….

Apr 16, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #59,923 of 65,629
Tyll is not much of a Grado fan from many of his reviews; nonetheless, he did claim to like the Original GS1000 in an early review.

It would be very interesting to get his impressions of the all the X versions.

Tyll is an honest person, it was a dark day when Head Fi took a skewer to him.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #59,924 of 65,629
Happy listening everyone .
This YouTube reviewer has a right to his opinion, but his low-key implication that people who like Grados must like them due to the Brooklyn mystique thing etc. feels misguided, like he has to come up with an alternative explanation for people liking something in audio he doesn't care for himself.

Personally, I didn't take much interest in Grados until hearing them, and then it was a revelation. They could be made anywhere, and I would still find them pretty neat for the SOUND.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #59,925 of 65,629
Elvergun, your reactions are his oxygen: ignore him ==> editorial suffocation ….
You mess with Grado you mess with me. :angry:

Ha...I'm not upset. Once you've seen a Grado hating review you've seen them all (they always say pretty much the same thing). I was just going for a little humor. Maybe I sounded a little too melodramatic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back