Grado Fan Club!
Mar 26, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #59,491 of 65,608
I agree with much of what you said here.

Yeah, cable sucks. Yeah, pads can suck. Yeah, warranty sucks for Europeans.

All valid points, but none of them justify the fact that some pimpled faced schmuck is screaming "Grado Sucks" on some youtube channel. Hell, Tyll didn't like Grados, but he didn't criticize them from dusk to dawn on his channel -- that's not what good reviewers do.

But yeah, all valid points.

Really? They would rather get a Radiante (which costs more than the GS3000x) than an SR325x?

I have not heard a Spirit Torino, but I highly doubt that it sounds better than the lowly SR325. They are made with Nhoord drivers, correct? Let's say that it is better than the SR325x...could it possibly best the GS3000x? For all I know, the Radiante might not sound better than the SR80x.

So, in the end, these people are paying for a pretty headphone.

A fool and his money...
I totally agree with you. I have never owned a Spirit Torino but I know you are paying looks, material and brand. I don't know the history but it seems shocking that it is so close to Grados looks and there seems to be no controversy about that, at least that I have been aware.

Personally I don't care much about YouTube reviewers. I only check one or 2 when I'm looking for a more visual detailed perspective of the unit dimensions and so on.

I´m trying to find a solution that could suit me long term in case of repairing need, so that I can stay with Grado without any reserves or limitations. But meanwhile I'm already testing other waters, just in case, and to find some balance. I just got a Meze 109 Pro in the classifieds for a fair price, including a replaceable Meze copper cable. The purpose is to test comfort, build, portability and Meze SQ and signature. If it doesn't suit me, I believe I won't have issues passing it along without monetary loss. One has to do what is needed to find its niche.

Cheers.

Mar 26, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #59,492 of 65,608
Totally agree with you.
Grado came out with the big bowl pads in response too the HD800.

Grado used to have a far bigger following .
This I believe has got smaller due to the fact there’s far more choice now.
All these different manufacturers pushing out new flavour of the month flagships every month.
These are far over priced in my view.

Headfi is the biggest Headphone audiophile site and has only ever done a collaboration with one manufacturer I believe?
That manufacturer is Grado with the HF1, HF2 and HF3.
That must say something about Grado headphones.

I have been lucky enough to own all 3.

The only thing I would ask for to improve the Grado experience is detachable cables.
Maybe one day?

Grado’s are at first light weight.
This is something that most manufacturers even today don’t seem to understand.
Grado’s are easy to drive again others require an amp.
Yes Grados scale up when you amp them.
Grado’s can be made super comfortable.
If you’re using the bowl pads just soak them in washing powder and some softener.
Makes them smell like Sky as well 😀

I’m pleased Grado exists and are still going strong despite the onslaught of all the new offerings.
Long may they continue 👍

Oh sorry about my ramblings I type this under the influence of using my Grado HF3 while doing so.
FWIW: I have just rediscovered my HF3's. In comparison with the more expensive models, they are not too bad. In fact quite detailed and very enjoyable :smile_phones:

Mar 26, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #59,493 of 65,608
FWIW: I have just rediscovered my HF3's. In comparison with the more expensive models, they are not too bad. In fact quite detailed and very enjoyable :smile_phones:

+1
If you find them a little too detailed try the 1ply kitchen paper mod ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Mar 26, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #59,494 of 65,608
I am considering a 325x or diy on my original version sr225. I am just researching this and have found some driver sources. I think costs are somewhat comparable. Which way should I go?

Welcome to Head-Fi
and welcome to the Grado thread.
This is the most mature and grown up thread on here.
No arguments no bad mouthing other products just people enjoying music on some great headphones.

I hope you enjoy it.👍

Mar 27, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #59,495 of 65,608
This...1,000,000 times this!!!

How can some of these "reviewers" complain about Grado comfort and then happily proceed to slap a two ton ZMF or LCD on their head. They then proclaim that the pads are incredible and comfort is surreal...as their spinal cord is being crushed under the weight.
I once tried The HEDDphone and my neck immediately made a sound which I think roughly translates to 'lol no'.

Mar 27, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #59,497 of 65,608
+1
If you find them a little too detailed try the 1ply kitchen paper mod ?
I can just use foam ear plugs:o2smile:
200w.gif

Joke aside, I don't mind the details, but the HF3 tend to be the brightest (and lightest) of my Grados. I only own the wooden ones :smile_phones: (except from the plastic GW100 and SR80i)

Mar 27, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #59,498 of 65,608
Welcome to Head-Fi
and welcome to the Grado thread.
This is the most mature and grown up thread on here.
No arguments no bad mouthing other products just people enjoying music on some great headphones.

I hope you enjoy it.👍
And … why have thread monitors from Head-Fi when there are
96D30F11-3C8A-4514-B3C3-E79F154BAB22.jpeg
to bear down on thread miscreants …?

Mar 27, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #59,499 of 65,608
I once tried The HEDDphone and my neck immediately made a sound which I think roughly translates to 'lol no'.
Maybe I am spoiled from a wealth of practical info after having been in Retail audio for over 30 + years. I was an authorized dealer for Stax, AKG, Sennheiser and Grado.

As we all know you do not buy a new phone, stick it on your head and off you go to enjoy this new experience. For me after some initial listening and acclimation I next move on to one of the most important steps that will reap plenty of rewards if carefully done. That is adjusting the position of the phone on your ears and also make sure the clamping force is not too high but secure enough. If you move slowly and carefully you might find some extra performance and comfort. This applies to most all brands and of course to different degrees. I think this especially true of most Grados both now and in the past. I made a point of offering my retail customer some initial adjustments for them along with explaining the process. No one ever came back or called to complain about uncomfortable fit.

I think about this every time there is a post that talks about the discomfort of Grados as a major generalization with a good chance the poster has done none of the above. BTW, besides @jonathanC going over his light cleaning routine on the Grado pads that will soften the surface feel the pads will tend to break in and offer a nicer surface than when new out of the box.

Sorry for any redundancy from my corner but I hope this basic set of thoughts help some listeners to like the fit and the sound better than before.

I find a number of my Grados to be amongst my most comfortable headphones (check my Profile page to see what else is being used).

ENJOY THE MUSIC. 🎶

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #59,500 of 65,608
And … why have thread monitors from Head-Fi when there are 96D30F11-3C8A-4514-B3C3-E79F154BAB22.jpeg to bear down on thread miscreants …?
They do seem to be very serious about their family tradition and to continue to move forward.

Mar 27, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #59,502 of 65,608
They do seem to be very serious about their family tradition and to continue to move forward.
Great customer service. I had a potential problem with my RS1x (no problem it turned out). In anycase, I sent the unit back to Brooklyn for warranty service even thou they were 1 month out of warranty, AND I had replaced the gimbals with a 3rd party pair. The customer service rep JC said to note on the return order that he said to process under warranty. Well, one morning last week, I got a phone call from NYC. I answered and the fellow said "Leo, I'm John Grado, calling you about your repair request". WOW. Imagine that. Turns out everything was fine and I received my pair back last week.

For me, this great customer service, combined with the great "Grado Sound" make me a customer for life.

Leo

Mar 27, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #59,503 of 65,608
Great customer service. I had a potential problem with my RS1x (no problem it turned out). In anycase, I sent the unit back to Brooklyn for warranty service even thou they were 1 month out of warranty, AND I had replaced the gimbals with a 3rd party pair. The customer service rep JC said to note on the return order that he said to process under warranty. Well, one morning last week, I got a phone call from NYC. I answered and the fellow said "Leo, I'm John Grado, calling you about your repair request". WOW. Imagine that. Turns out everything was fine and I received my pair back last week.

For me, this great customer service, combined with the great "Grado Sound" make me a customer for life.

Leo
You are such a lucky dude! I envy you. Between Grado and Schiit I would probably be set if living in the North American Continent.

Here, I cannot even find a decent European DAC without spending ridiculous amounts (for me). Violectric and Lake People doesn't make them anymore, Ferrum is coming with a dedicated one only next month and probably will be expensive for what I'm willing to spend.

I may be wrong but if you take Chifi and American brands out of the equation, you are left with very expensive brands for DACs in Europe. Soekris may be the exception but from everything I read it doesn't pairs well with the finicky RNHP... Lucky me!

Anyway, nice to read about the stellar service. Always comforting to know you can rely on the brand you invested and like. Cheers! :beerchug:

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #59,504 of 65,608

Leo
They really are nice people to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back