Grado Fan Club!
Mar 26, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #59,476 of 65,608
I have very limited experience compared to many of you. But that also makes me not having a Grado history and since I'm constantly looking for cans to complement each other, I read a lot around here without taking anyone sides or being biased for whatever reason.

Personally, I have 2 complaints and a regret. The cable, the comfort (still very tolerable) and being an American brand without any repairing support (that I know) in Europe.
Recently, I just wanted something as a recabling to my Hemp so that I could use it with other cables but it turns out that I couldn't find nobody that does it in the European Union. I was refused by 2 very well known cable companies here in Europe - One even answered me that with Grado it is not even worth the hassle. Contacted an Italian authorized dealer who supposedly also repairs them (don't quote me on this) but didn't even got an answer. And after asking also on the FB group and researching, I tried to contact a German fellow who supposedly does some repairing under warranty for the brand (don't quote me on this either) but once again no answer back, at least until now.

This changed drastically my point of view regarding my current line-up and with future possible purchases. I just recently got hold of the RS1 Buttoned but unfortunately I won't be keeping it. God forbids if suddenly I have some technical issue with it! I'm not worried with my Gold 325 because, considering its current price, not much of a monetary risk/loss if anything happens and my Hemp is still under warranty. One thing is for sure, no matter what the future reserves me I will always have by my side 1 or 2 Grados. Just not expensive ones. I haven't tried many HP but the 660S and Stellia that I did, on short impressions where a letdown in terms of sound engagement. I couldn't care less about technicalities and discussing the sex´s Angels like people do in some boring endless threads. I only care about the way music talks to me, and this is done threw Headphones. That is why I have such an hard time to decide on a can, without having the chance to test it, because people are interested in talking about everything except of what really matters!

Anyway, rant apart, the 2 complaints I have are also the major ones that drives most people away. 50% of any HP thread is about cable discussion, so that can give one perspective of how important this matter is nowadays. When transportable, but especially portable devices and market, are gaining ground it is understandable that cable becomes an important part of the equation.

I also witness, as a deciding factor in a competitive market, the comfort. No need to say that most Grado are not the most comfortable HP, especially if using the pads that they were intended to be used in the first place with.

Then I also witness some other factors (that I don't agree with), minors surely, but that won't play in the brands favor. The fact that over the years there hasn't been no major aesthetically changes and that you can find almost the same materials used in a 350/400€ unit and a 2300€ one, wood aside.

I usually don't see many people complaining about sound, at least the informed ones. Most do it out of ignorance, and wrongly, associating the brand automatically to the "older" stereotyped signature.

I do not agree with the idea that Grado is becoming fashion again, at least for its looks. People who really are into that, will sooner go to something like a Spirit Torino than to a Grado. I believe that the ones that really turns, nowadays to Grado, is because are tired of all this Hyped nonsense that is transversal to any dedicated thread and after many disappointments one tends to find refuge to something that was always there, simple, unchanged, truth to itself and still has a lot of followers (it is impossible to any member of this forum to miss this particular dedicated thread with almost 4000 pages, all have come across it sooner or later despite of Grado interest). Everything else put aside, only sound can bind these people together, certainly not futuristic technology, cables or any other bang and whistles found in so many other brands. That is when people get curious about Grado (and rightfully so) and turn to the brand.

In the end, the purpose of being part of a forum like this was, and always will be, SQ.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Cheers.
I agree with much of what you said here.

Yeah, cable sucks. Yeah, pads can suck. Yeah, warranty sucks for Europeans.

All valid points, but none of them justify the fact that some pimpled faced schmuck is screaming "Grado Sucks" on some youtube channel. Hell, Tyll didn't like Grados, but he didn't criticize them from dusk to dawn on his channel -- that's not what good reviewers do.

But yeah, all valid points.

People who really are into that, will sooner go to something like a Spirit Torino than to a Grado.

Really? They would rather get a Radiante (which costs more than the GS3000x) than an SR325x?

I have not heard a Spirit Torino, but I highly doubt that it sounds better than the lowly SR325. They are made with Nhoord drivers, correct? Let's say that it is better than the SR325x...could it possibly best the GS3000x? For all I know, the Radiante might not sound better than the SR80x.

So, in the end, these people are paying for a pretty headphone.

A fool and his money...

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #59,477 of 65,608
Just did a Grado test with the missus. We had a GH2, a PS500e and an RS2e together with a Dragonfly Cobalt, Chord Mojo and Chord Mojo 2. We tried most combinations but she always insisted that the GH2 gave her "something ASMR-like" no matter the amp. She said the PS500e is "a little flat" and the RS2e is "also nice". So we got another GH2-fan here! :)

Mar 26, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #59,478 of 65,608
Just did a Grado test with the missus. We had a GH2, a PS500e and an RS2e together with a Dragonfly Cobalt, Chord Mojo and Chord Mojo 2. We tried most combinations but she always insisted that the GH2 gave her "something ASMR-like" no matter the amp. She said the PS500e is "a little flat" and the RS2e is "also nice". So we got another GH2-fan here! :)
As it should be. :relaxed:

Mar 26, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #59,479 of 65,608
Grado’s are at first light weight.
This is something that most manufacturers even today don’t seem to understand.

Grado’s can be made super comfortable.

This...1,000,000 times this!!!

How can some of these "reviewers" complain about Grado comfort and then happily proceed to slap a two ton ZMF or LCD on their head. They then proclaim that the pads are incredible and comfort is surreal...as their spinal cord is being crushed under the weight.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #59,480 of 65,608
Mar 26, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #59,482 of 65,608
I am considering a 325x or diy on my original version sr225. I am just researching this and have found some driver sources. I think costs are somewhat comparable. Which way should I go?

Find some cheap broken cable Grados on eBay?
Use these drivers in a wooden cup and replace the cable or make them detachable?
You can tune the drivers to your liking.

Try Turbulent Labs earphonediy and others.

Mar 26, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #59,484 of 65,608
I am considering a 325x or diy on my original version sr225. I am just researching this and have found some driver sources. I think costs are somewhat comparable. Which way should I go?
SR325X all day :deadhorse: :beerchug:

Mar 26, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #59,486 of 65,608
chatting with a fellow head-fier earlier and they asked me to upload a couple pics of my modded PS500e. Garden hose has been replaced with 3.5mm sockets, plastic gimbals/rodblocks replaced with shibibo metal ones and fat boy leather headband added. Also included pic of my Mapletree Audio ear+ which I’ve personally found to be the best pairing for these.

Attachments

• 03191904-8C15-4E62-8B52-7B4E829EE2AB.jpeg
    03191904-8C15-4E62-8B52-7B4E829EE2AB.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 63E55674-01AB-4C6F-BA6E-819A86375BBD.jpeg
    63E55674-01AB-4C6F-BA6E-819A86375BBD.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • B20BF70E-DAEF-40B7-8E3D-FB12A22FAFFD.jpeg
    B20BF70E-DAEF-40B7-8E3D-FB12A22FAFFD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Mar 26, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #59,487 of 65,608
chatting with a fellow head-fier earlier and they asked me to upload a couple pics of my modded PS500e. Garden hose has been replaced with 3.5mm sockets, plastic gimbals/rodblocks replaced with shibibo metal ones and fat boy leather headband added. Also included pic of my Mapletree Audio ear+ which I’ve personally found to be the best pairing for these.
It really is a great pairing. I had that amp a year or two ago. I sold the amp. Still kinda miss it.

Mar 26, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #59,488 of 65,608
All the cable haters out there should know that maggiesbrother is selling his souped-up RS2e right now.

Shipibo gimbals and rodblocks...and no cables. All for the low, low price of $455? I would buy it in a heartbeat (and sell my pair) if I had not just received the GS3000e.

Mar 26, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #59,490 of 65,608
The cables...

Pro: Con:
*They sound as intended *Thick
*No $$$ upgradeitess * Twist
*Durable (unless twisted) * Set length

I feel conflicted... I love not having to worry about spending money in cables to improve sound (not sure balanced is necessary with Grado), but I do find myself being extra careful not to overly bend the cables. Tge new cable is harder to damage, but more unwieldy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back