Grado Fan Club!
Feb 25, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #59,071 of 65,634
Well, this why I'm confused. Are you saying that contemporary Grados (the X series) have less bass? The RS2x I heard had adequate bass, par for the course for any Grado from any series. The RS2x had as much bass as my RS2e and the PS500e I heard. The RS1x didn't have the punchy bass Grado is known for...and it did not have almost any sub bass (my RS2e, SR225i mod and GH2 are sub bass cannons compared to the RS1x I heard).

But yours was an open box, so perhaps they had a few hours of use when you got them...unless you don't believe in burn-in (I do).

I know how to appreciate an analytical headphone that does not emphasize the bass. I have owned the HD800 for years an I love that model. However, I'm not looking for the Grado version of an HD800 (and that is what I heard in the store today).

Perhaps I should just save my pennies and go for a GS1000x or the GS3000 (x or e).
So I am new enough to good headphones to not be the best assessor of the situation. I recently tried out the majority of the new line up through the reference series and I came to a similar opinion that they were very weak in the bass, and no sub bass. Which turned me away from them. Recently through other Head-Fiers I acquired both a PS1000 and an RS2E that have been put through their paces and wow what a difference.

So whether it is to be believed or not I am leaning towards burn-in is a thing at least with some headphones.

Feb 25, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #59,074 of 65,634
Out of the box I thought [the RS1x] were so meh. I mean, really meh. Could be...perhaps the PS500e is just a much better headphone than the RS1x and the RS2x. The RS2x (around 50 hours of use, I was told) blew the RS1x out of the water. It might even be better than my RS2e.
The original PS500/HF2 was one of Grado's smoothest headphones. This reviewer stated he preferred the PS500 over the PS500e and GH1. Personally I never gravitated towards any of the metal models due to weight concerns. My first Grado was a SR225i over the SR325is.

You might be in the camp (like me) where you feel the x-series sound signature is a step back, but you thought the RS2x was great. I'll give the edge to the GH4 which I feel was Grado's peak small wooden model. The x-series models in general sound too Hemp-like (more muffled) so they're not for me.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #59,075 of 65,634
Well, this why I'm confused. Are you saying that contemporary Grados (the X series) have less bass? The RS2x I heard had adequate bass, par for the course for any Grado from any series. The RS2x had as much bass as my RS2e and the PS500e I heard. The RS1x didn't have the punchy bass Grado is known for...and it did not have almost any sub bass (my RS2e, SR225i mod and GH2 are sub bass cannons compared to the RS1x I heard).

But yours was an open box, so perhaps they had a few hours of use when you got them...unless you don't believe in burn-in (I do).

I know how to appreciate an analytical headphone that does not emphasize the bass. I have owned the HD800 for years an I love that model. However, I'm not looking for the Grado version of an HD800 (and that is what I heard in the store today).

Perhaps I should just save my pennies and go for a GS1000x or the GS3000 (x or e).
My Hemps has more bass than RS2x. Goes lower and has more punch, not round or boomy upper bass though.

Feb 25, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #59,076 of 65,634
The original PS500/HF2 was one of Grado's smoothest headphones. This reviewer stated he preferred the PS500 over the PS500e and GH1. Personally I never gravitated towards any of the metal models due to weight concerns. My first Grado was a SR225i over the SR325is.

You might be in the camp (like me) where you feel the x-series sound signature is a step back, but you thought the RS2x was great. I'll give the edge to the GH4 which I feel was Grado's peak small wooden model. The x-series models in general sound too Hemp-like (more muffled) so they're not for me.
The PS500e is not really heavy as it is wood inside the thin metal cups.

Feb 25, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #59,079 of 65,634

I didn't listen to the RS2x enough to determine if it was better or worse than my other Grados...and I was focusing on the bass when I heard them (comparing it to the RS1x).

I do think they are in the same league as the GH2 and the RS2e.

Feb 25, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #59,080 of 65,634
I love the Hemp but hate the cable. I much prefer the 325 gold one. So I'm gonna say screw to the warranty and have it recabled. It is gonna be my house "deluxe" portable headphone with my future portable gear (just for around the house).

Meanwhile the Gold will be my desktop Headphone.

Always looking for some opportunity for a PS500, PS1000 and maybe some other older model if a very good deal arises.

My future "end-goal" will be maybe the 1000X but most probably the 3000X.

Always very hard to make educated decisions, especially in the high price range, when one cannot test the cans before buying.

Feb 25, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #59,081 of 65,634
I love the Hemp but hate the cable. I much prefer the 325 gold one. So I'm gonna say screw to the warranty and have it recabled. It is gonna be my house "deluxe" portable headphone with my future portable gear (just for around the house).

Meanwhile the Gold will be my desktop Headphone.

Always looking for some opportunity for a PS500, PS1000 and maybe some other older model if a very good deal arises.

My future "end-goal" will be maybe the 1000X but most probably the 3000X.

Always very hard to make educated decisions, especially in the high price range, when one cannot test the cans before buying.
Just grabbed a pair of PS1000’s and so far am very happy with them.

Feb 25, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #59,082 of 65,634
Since taking that picture, I have added the PS2000e, the GS2000e, the Hemp, the GR8e (IEM), and the GH-2. I have not yet bought any of the -x series.
Well, I guess you're gonna need a bigger boat Grado headphones display table :wink:

Yeah, the original PS500 certainly has a smoother (with deeper subbass and quite a natural timbre) signature than the Grado models that I've heard so far. And like another member already mentioned it has wood inside, so not heavy at all. With the G pads on it also has an impressive wide soundstage, without losing too much on the lows. Anyway, I'm glad I never sold mine over the past years :)

Feb 25, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #59,083 of 65,634
And like another member already mentioned it has wood inside, so not heavy at all. With the G pads on it also has an impressive wide soundstage, without losing too much on the lows. Anyway, I'm glad I never sold mine over the past years :)

I never gave them much thought because I thought they were heavy. I've seen so many in the classifieds over the years and I always ignored them. If only I knew then what I know now. :sweat:

Feb 25, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #59,084 of 65,634
… saturday under way …
E368AA19-276E-46C8-BA8D-71F42883EDBA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back