Grado Fan Club!
Feb 1, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #58,696 of 65,852
With the right pads, L ones, it sounds even better. I didn't hope for much but I'm really happy with this purchase. If I want more bass I have the hemp, if I want more "Cristal clear" I have these Goldies. I can see that it relies more on the uppers, but I cannot see what all that treble and high pitch notes fuss and whining is all about. To my ears it is a different sound from the Hemp but enjoyable for sure.

They are supposed to be almost extremes, I believe, so what does this means? It gets confusing, since all Grado´s can now be my target, I guess.

I have to write down the differences between series / models so that I understand where to go from here.

Also, it is amazing that all these HP can play, on the go, with a phone and a dongle without major SQ losses. Just lovely.
DSCF1634.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #58,697 of 65,852
Love the color of the wood. Beautiful.
Yup! Cocobolo starts off as a golden brown with streaks, but over time will naturally darken into the chocolate brown seen here.

After a few hours, I don't know if it's the new pads, or the new drivers, but I feel my GS3000e sounds better than from before it broke. The 6k peak isn't as prominent, and overall it just seems more cohesive. The GH4 sounds very good, but the where the GS3000e shines is the textural bass and percussion. African drums sound absolutely fantastic.

Feb 1, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #58,698 of 65,852
Yup! Cocobolo starts off as a golden brown with streaks, but over time will naturally darken into the chocolate brown seen here.

After a few hours, I don't know if it's the new pads, or the new drivers, but I feel my GS3000e sounds better than from before it broke. The 6k peak isn't as prominent, and overall it just seems more cohesive. The GH4 sounds very good, but the where the GS3000e shines is the textural bass and percussion. African drums sound absolutely fantastic.
I have the GS1000e. Love the mahagony wood on them. Same thing I believe, the wood darkens with age. I use the Howard Feed-N-Wax on them occasionally. I don't wear them often, and then only with classical or acoustic music. For other genres I really do not like them. Something about the bass..it's tubby. Thought many times about selling them, but never pulled the trigger. I'm eyeing the GS3000x but I am worried about the bass because of the GS1000e being n the same "family".

EDIT to add: I don't think it's the headphones themselves. It's just the way my head is. The space between my ear and my jaw is small, so the pads don't "fit" properly. I think I lose some of the seal in the back of the pad a little, if that makes sense. Don't want to deter anyone from purchasing the GS1000e :)

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #58,699 of 65,852
Indeed! These are mine:
C21068CD-E230-4695-BDE6-434BAE964798.jpeg

Feb 1, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #58,700 of 65,852
With the right pads, L ones, it sounds even better. I didn't hope for much but I'm really happy with this purchase. If I want more bass I have the hemp, if I want more "Cristal clear" I have these Goldies. I can see that it relies more on the uppers, but I cannot see what all that treble and high pitch notes fuss and whining is all about. To my ears it is a different sound from the Hemp but enjoyable for sure.

They are supposed to be almost extremes, I believe, so what does this means? It gets confusing, since all Grado´s can now be my target, I guess.

I have to write down the differences between series / models so that I understand where to go from here.

Also, it is amazing that all these HP can play, on the go, with a phone and a dongle without major SQ losses. Just lovely.DSCF1634.JPG
If you are a Grado collector, especially models that use the L-pads, you should try out Beautiful Audio in New Zealand. Great pads, super sound and a really nice guy in pretty much a one man operation.
They're a little pricey, but wow! So much better than Shipibo and Dekoni.

Feb 1, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #58,701 of 65,852
I have the GS1000e. Love the mahagony wood on them. Same thing I believe, the wood darkens with age. I use the Howard Feed-N-Wax on them occasionally. I don't wear them often, and then only with classical or acoustic music. For other genres I really do not like them. Something about the bass..it's tubby. Thought many times about selling them, but never pulled the trigger. I'm eyeing the GS3000x but I am worried about the bass because of the GS1000e being n the same "family".

EDIT to add: I don't think it's the headphones themselves. It's just the way my head is. The space between my ear and my jaw is small, so the pads don't "fit" properly. I think I lose some of the seal in the back of the pad a little, if that makes sense. Don't want to deter anyone from purchasing the GS1000e :)
The bass on the x series is different and in my opinion is more natural and real sounding, not at all boomy or tubby in its sound. I still very much enjoy my GS3000e but the GS3000x is a definitive step up for me. I will probably be looking to find the GS3000e a new home as I am running out of room and can’t keep everything.

Enjoy….

Feb 1, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #58,702 of 65,852
If you are a Grado collector, especially models that use the L-pads, you should try out Beautiful Audio in New Zealand. Great pads, super sound and a really nice guy in pretty much a one man operation.
They're a little pricey, but wow! So much better than Shipibo and Dekoni.
I can say that I ordered a pair from him a while back. I really enjoyed them a lot. Then one day (5-6 months later) I opened my mail and there was a second set of new pads that I hadn't ordered. He sent me a note and said that he had made improvements to the pads I received and wanted me to have the latest.

Good guy!

Leo

Feb 1, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #58,703 of 65,852
I can say that I ordered a pair from him a while back. I really enjoyed them a lot. Then one day (5-6 months later) I opened my mail and there was a second set of new pads that I hadn't ordered. He sent me a note and said that he had made improvements to the pads I received and wanted me to have the latest.

Good guy!

Leo
That sounds about right. I asked him for replacement foams and he sent me several pairs and I only had to pay the shipping. Great guy to deal with.

Feb 1, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #58,704 of 65,852
I can't decide between the RS1x and GS1000x at the moment, although am still skeptical of the 50mm drivers as I haven't heard them. I am Gradoless for now but in the past have owned vintage RS1, RS1i, GH1 and GH2, loved the RS1, excelled at the usual rock/vocal/jazz/instrumental stuff, but never really warmed up to the GH1 and GH2, something wonky about their sounds, now that I think about it its probably that darned E series driver I couldn't get along with.

Feb 2, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #58,705 of 65,852
Some very interesting thoughts for the missing lettering. Mine were perfect when purchased and the shame is that somehow a couple of small bits of the lettering went awol. I am super careful with my gear and I don’t know what happened. Please post if you succeed in finding a solution.

Click on each photo to see the full face.

Good luck.

Well it's been a while for me to work on this off and on. I hope my solution is good! No going back now...

(Trigger warning! Grado gore)

SmartSelect_20230202_020450_Gallery.gif

Feb 2, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #58,707 of 65,852
And a bit more. I think this is some kind of sin....

SmartSelect_20230202_021015_Gallery.gif
I just read your comparison list. and I didn't know there are so many Chinese Grado fans. In the Chinese online community, one guy had a lot of grados, his best grado are GH2, RS1(1st ) , GH4. GH2 was the best of the best to his like. he says the GH2 are very similar to GH4, ever so slightly tighter, and ever so slightly less on the high region. which is exactly what I wish for if I was nitpicking the GH4. similar opinions to your list.
thanks for the comparison
Don't break the HP2 !!! :)

Feb 2, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #58,709 of 65,852
So my one pair of Grado's has been the GH-1, I have had them for years and really love them. Thinking of getting a second pair to try something different, and was thinking either 325x or RS2x...any thoughts?

Feb 2, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #58,710 of 65,852
I have both the SR325X and RS2X, both are great.

The SR325X is a less traditional Grado with great bass and still some highs.

The RS2X is closer to traditional Grado with less, but adequate bass. Sweet highs and more width.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back