Grado Fan Club!
Feb 3, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #58,726 of 65,687
Yeah, I kinda figured that would be the case. I just wasn't sure if it would be worth getting it and using it with just the adapter that I have now. Thanks!
I agree with Plautus's recommendation. Get the Vali2++. As you begin to upgrade your dac, you can upgrade the tube to keep pace. I'm recently amazed at the quality of sound from this little/cheap amp with a high quality tube (more than the amp). Together they make a great combo. You have a lot of flexibility that you don't necessarily get with other options in this price range.

Just my thoughts. Good luck!

Leo

Feb 3, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #58,727 of 65,687
I have been strongly in heaven with my RS2x lately. But!
I will probably burn in hell for this, but i tested some eq to my RS2x and heaven is even a better place to be.
Much better.

You can throw stones if you feel like it.🫣

It's all good man. Almost any open back benefits from some low bass boost.

Feb 3, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #58,728 of 65,687
I agree with Plautus's recommendation. Get the Vali2++. As you begin to upgrade your dac, you can upgrade the tube to keep pace. I'm recently amazed at the quality of sound from this little/cheap amp with a high quality tube (more than the amp). Together they make a great combo. You have a lot of flexibility that you don't necessarily get with other options in this price range.

Just my thoughts. Good luck!

Leo
I have the Vali 2++ and the Modi Multibit2 running that into my SR225X's sounds very good to me.

Feb 3, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #58,729 of 65,687
I have a Schiit Magni 3+ and can also recommend the Topping L30 II for use with Grados on low gain.
I’m going to withdraw that comment. After weeks of using the Topping I plugged my Grados into the Schiit earlier today. It is a much better pairing: warmer; punchier bass; less shout and glare. More musical.

Feb 3, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #58,730 of 65,687
Now that I’m enjoying my Grados with the Schiit Magni 3+ again I am considering returning the Topping (you have to love the 365-day returns at headphones.com) and upgrading (upGradoing?) to the Vali2++. Recent comments are just too inviting.

Edit: The Topping and the Vali2++ are the same price so it should be an easy swap.

I’m done with Chi-fi. My Hifiman cans were ultimately a disappointment and I never use them, and the Topping L30 II wore out its welcome rather quickly. I do still love my Moondrop Kato, however (with Comply tips).

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #58,731 of 65,687
Now that I’m enjoying my Grados with the Schiit Magni 3+ again I am considering returning the Topping (you have to love the 365-day returns at headphones.com) and upgrading (upGradoing?) to the Vali2++. Recent comments are just too inviting.
Do it!

Feb 3, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #58,734 of 65,687
Feb 4, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #58,735 of 65,687

Edit: The Topping and the Vali2++ are the same price so it should be an easy swap.

I’m done with Chi-fi. My Hifiman cams were ultimately a disappointment and I never use them, and the Topping L30 II wore out its welcome rather quickly. I do still love my Moondrop Kato, however (with Comply tips).
Similar experience with the e30ii and also a fiio k7 recently. In the end I opted for a dacmagic200 and found myself saying the same thing about chi-fi. Qc issues galore plus by the time the item has arrived, they have normally released another 5 alternatives... dx170 excluded from rant

Feb 4, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #58,736 of 65,687

I’m done with Chi-fi. My Hifiman cams were ultimately a disappointment and I never use them, and the Topping L30 II wore out its welcome rather quickly. I do still love my Moondrop Kato, however (with Comply tips).

Don't write off all Chi-Fi. Some such brands steer more towards the objectivist side of sound, and cater to those who appreciate good measuring equipment. Others are more focused on sound quality.

For example, I have Singxer and Gustard equipment that amaze me with how good they sound at reasonable prices. Furthermore, I have semi-generic "Designed by Lee" DACs that absolutely boggle my mind with their sound quality at practically give-away prices.

And yet I had a popular, expensive Topping amp that I couldn't possibly sell fast enough.

That all said, you can't go wrong with Schiit...

Feb 4, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #58,737 of 65,687
Similar experience with the e30ii and also a fiio k7 recently. In the end I opted for a dacmagic200 and found myself saying the same thing about chi-fi. Qc issues galore plus by the time the item has arrived, they have normally released another 5 alternatives... dx170 excluded from rant
I have a Dacmagic 100 that has served me well in the past. I have a Bluesound Node (which is Roon Ready) so I’m not looking for a DAC.

Feb 4, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #58,738 of 65,687
Don't write off all Chi-Fi. Some such brands steer more towards the objectivist side of sound, and cater to those who appreciate good measuring equipment. Others are more focused on sound quality.

For example, I have Singxer and Gustard equipment that amaze me with how good they sound at reasonable prices. Furthermore, I have semi-generic "Designed by Lee" DACs that absolutely boggle my mind with their sound quality at practically give-away prices.

And yet I had a popular, expensive Topping amp that I couldn't possibly sell fast enough.

That all said, you can't go wrong with Schiit...
I'd take issue with 'others focus on good sound quality'.

It's more a case of they focus on lesser sound quality with higher distortion and roll off filters. Absolutely a warmer sound that people enjoy, but certainly not 'better sound quality' than a clean DAC which are a solved problem.

Same as tubes, some people think they sound better, which is fine. But they are scientifically inferior to solid state in their reproduction of sound.

Feb 4, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #58,739 of 65,687
I'd take issue with 'others focus on good sound quality'.

It's more a case of they focus on lesser sound quality with higher distortion and roll off filters. Absolutely a warmer sound that people enjoy, but certainly not 'better sound quality' than a clean DAC which are a solved problem.

Same as tubes, some people think they sound better, which is fine. But they are scientifically inferior to solid state in their reproduction of sound.
I picked up the Topping L30 II because Audio Science Review was so impressed by its measurements and engineering. While that may well be true, it translated into a cold harsh sound.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/topping-l30-ii-review-headphone-amp.36027/

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #58,740 of 65,687
I picked up the Topping L30 II because Audio Science Review was so impressed by its measurements and engineering. While that may well be true, it translated into a cold harsh sound.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/topping-l30-ii-review-headphone-amp.36027/
Absolutely it will translate to a cold and harsh sound if you have a preference for warm, consumer tunings. The point is, this isn't putting anything into the music to make it cold and harsh as the measurements state.

Like listening to an hd800, which a lot of people hated for the longest time because they were used to lots of low end distortion and a roll off in the treble. Doesn't mean the hd800 is focused on sound quality less than say a hd650 which is a more popular tuning.

I just thinks it's disingenuous to suggest it's a difference of sound quality, when that which we often link to quality (low distortion, no roll offs etc) is much better on the device you simply don't prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back