Grado Fan Club!
Jan 5, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #58,171 of 65,894
Jan 5, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #58,172 of 65,894
I totally agree with you, when I first discovered the F pads with the Hemp, I was stunned : never heard a Grado sound like that but it's still a Grado.
Beautiful Audio's are great pads too, offering something different but it's a 2 minutes change.

Except the pads, or speaking about driver and cups, can we get significantly further with some of the more expansive Grado (RS2X, RS1X, GS1000X, GS3000X) ?
• The Hemp is indeed a special headphone. To get ‘more of Hemp’, you could search for the GH-2, a limited edition headphone which is Grado’s first Cocobolo wood headphone.
• You can get ‘further’ with GS3000x. Will it be ‘significantly further’? That varies by listener. What also varies by listener: ‘is it worth it?’

Jan 5, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #58,173 of 65,894
• The Hemp is indeed a special headphone. To get ‘more of Hemp’, you could search for the GH-2, a limited edition headphone which is Grado’s first Cocobolo wood headphone.
• You can get ‘further’ with GS3000x. Will it be ‘significantly further’? That varies by listener. What also varies by listener: ‘is it worth it?’
Sure !

Jan 5, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #58,174 of 65,894
For me Hemp is what it is because i am not after maximum resolution, the brightest treble or sharpest soundstage.

It is the whole. Musical presentation.
Too much e.g. resolution kills often musicality, for me i mean.

Soul and heart is present with Hemps. That is rare, very rare.
And it means different thing for everyone of us.

I'm afraid if i go RS1x or RS2x i might lose that heart and soul.

Hard to explain because my English is what it is, but hope i made my point. :)

Jan 5, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #58,175 of 65,894
Jan 5, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #58,176 of 65,894
For me Hemp is what it is because i am not after maximum resolution, the brightest treble or sharpest soundstage.

You did.

“It is the whole”. Gestalt.

“Soul and heart” ===> Immersion. What I always experience with live music.

Jan 5, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #58,177 of 65,894

I have the feeling that you can live very happy with the Hemps for a long time still.

In my journey I began with the 80e, wich I love to much that I just want more of it. Went to the 80x, got a more clear sound, better separation, better bass, but the mirange bite and energy was a little receded, it has better technicalities but I don’t think this is always better. Then I got the 325x, wich completely blows me away right out of the box. Amazing presence, weight, slam, bass. I have so much fun with it, never had listening to a headphnoe this great. But still it was very different from the 80e signature and I began to fing the dark signature and bass overwhealming in long listening.

Then I took a deep breath and got the RS2x. Right out of the box I was happy, it has the e series signature without a doubt. That speed and midrange energy all the way without any shame. But I got really scared over time because I began to find it too lean. I got to the point where I thought I was going to sell it. Keep listening and now, about 4 weeks of normal listening, I can’t believe how much it has improved. Now I think it’s really a big jump from the Prestige series. It’s my favorite Grado without a doubt. Have nothing negative to say about it really. Very very happy - especially because it was very expensive in my country. Worth every penny.

I read that the Hemp it’s close to the 325x, wich maybe you can enjoy, maybe a little more agressive and same signature style.

But I still find the 80e special in it's way. It's amazing how much Grado delivers in it's entry level. Which makes me have a special affection for this philosophy of them. Especially in this audiophile environment that values can scare so many beginners.

Jan 5, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #58,178 of 65,894
Update on my frequently-falling-apart GS1000x's- Moon Audio initially refused to accept a return as I'm beyond the 30 days, however they talked with Grado and Grado has agreed to accept a return and I'll be getting a store credit with Moon Audio. So man, again Grado comes through in their customer service. I will miss the 1000x's, I fudged the rod back into the gimbal for a temporary listen and there's a lot to like about them. However my plans are to join the dark side and pay an extra $4 to get some LCD X's.

Jan 5, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #58,180 of 65,894
Well, I have the 325x, RS1x and GS3000x. I can't speak to the GS1000x. Both the RS1x and GS3000x are better than most all headphones I've heard. Before continuing, I want to stress that no one has the same listening preferences/hearing abilities, as I do, hence YMMV. Okay, all disclaimers aside, the bass on the 3000x is superior to that of the RS1x. More pronounced, tighter, and seems to blend better into the mids (is that evening an audio term??? Blend??). Anyway, if you got the RS1x and never heard the 3000x, I'm guessing you would be truly pleased with the improvements between it and the 325x. Heck, even if you have heard the 3000x I'm guessing that you would still truly enjoy and appreciate the RS1x over the 325x.

Good luck!

Leo
Interesting, everything i have read indicates the RS1X as bass shy compared to SR325X and Hemp.

Jan 5, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #58,181 of 65,894
So some of my experiences with Grado:

- Didn't like the White One and the Hemp. Both to muffled for me.
I only have the Hemp, my first Grado, which I like. I was very curious about the White One and not only it is one of the rarest to see around (or the least talked), I also had the impression that it was quite different from the Hemp.

So I was curious about the "muffled" comment. I understand regarding the Hemp but had the impression that the White one was way more clinical, far from the "warm" and relaxed Hemp, still with some nice bass (PS500e style) and better separation, image and soundstage that the Hemp.

Would love to read more about it from people who tried it or own it.

Cheers.
IMG_1479.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #58,182 of 65,894
Interesting, everything i have read indicates the RS1X as bass shy compared to SR325X and Hemp.
To me, bass via RS-1x is a bit light but it is there - with good detail and quality. If I am in a ‘bass mood’ but want to savour the RS-1x midrange, treble, soundstage, the amp will be Icon Audio HP8 - with a pair of Ken-Rad VT-231 tubes. ‘RS-1x as bass cannon’ 😀🤪!!

Jan 5, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #58,183 of 65,894

This is a really great point - also --> being more selective with what music/genre is played with given headphones becomes increasingly important when you invest in multiple variations from the same manufacturer (Grado, ZMF, etc.).

There is some music that I love with the Hemps and the same tracks that sound just average on the RS1x. Similarly, certain vocals that are tremendous on the RS1x and fall totally flat on the Hemps in their ability to achieve the "sparkle" in the upper register

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #58,184 of 65,894
I only have the Hemp, my first Grado, which I like. I was very curious about the White One and not only it is one of the rarest to see around (or the least talked), I also had the impression that it was quite different from the Hemp.

So I was curious about the "muffled" comment. I understand regarding the Hemp but had the impression that the White one was way more clinical, far from the "warm" and relaxed Hemp, still with some nice bass (PS500e style) and better separation, image and soundstage that the Hemp.

Would love to read more about it from people who tried it or own it.

Cheers.

I don't find the Hemp to be muffled whatsoever -- it’s a great headphone with lots of "attitude". I also have the PS500e - was very hard to find -- another fantastic Grado - just a bit darker than the others …sort of reminds me of another version (perhaps more detail and more bass) of the Senn. HD6XX or 650 ... not my cup of tea, so I listed it for sale here (shameless plug).

P.S. .... I like your RNHP - great little AMP :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back