Grado Fan Club!
Jan 1, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #58,141 of 65,767
My GS1000x has now a second failed gimbal where the earphone cup has just come off the headband. Not what one would expect from a $1,200 headphone. I'll be trying to return and replacing with an LCD 2, something substantially built. I've still got my 225x's though luckily, the rods/gimbals are still secure despite an equal amount of use.

Jan 2, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #58,142 of 65,767
My GS1000x has now a second failed gimbal where the earphone cup has just come off the headband. Not what one would expect from a $1,200 headphone. I'll be trying to return and replacing with an LCD 2, something substantially built. I've still got my 225x's though luckily, the rods/gimbals are still secure despite an equal amount of use.

So you're sayin' you want your gimbals not to fall off ?

Chris-Farley-Tommy-Boy-Marquette.jpg

Jan 2, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #58,144 of 65,767
Ideally they don't fall off lol But I could wire one ear cup into one of those old vintage phones where you speak into a horn type of thing. I can make two, so let me know if you want one.

I could hold one end and you can hold the other -- we can have an old school telephone call with an operator between us :wink:

Just curious, from where (or whom) did you purchase this particular pair from ?

Jan 2, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #58,145 of 65,767
I've come to the conclusion in my rambling that I'm going to pursue the Grado RS1x(or RS2x, depends).
Here in Finland RS1x is 999euros, seems that from Germany RS1x is little cheaper, 899euros.

OR is the RS2x more like Hemp with it's sound? Hemp has soundsignature which i like very much, if i could get bigger an d more airy soundstage i'm happy with that.
I'm not after more resolution or anything like that. It would be nice if the lower bass remains the same, not less that's for sure. More is welcome.
Can i "save" money if go to RS2x?

There's also 44mm vs 50mm drivers, does that make a big difference?

Measurements shows differences but my experiences tells me that reality is reality, ears will tell the truth. Problem is that i can't test either of those here. No one sells Grados where i live.
But i also purchased Hemp with no testing and Hemps nailed it.:heart_eyes:

Screenshot 2023-01-02 083515.jpg

Used is option also, not many for sale though. Wonder why :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #58,146 of 65,767
I've come to the conclusion in my rambling that I'm going to pursue the Grado RS1x(or RS2x, depends).

Here in Finland RS1x is 999euros, seems that from Germany RS1x is little cheaper, 899euros.

OR is the RS2x more like Hemp with it's sound? Hemp has soundsignature which i like very much, if i could get bigger an d more airy soundstage i'm happy with that.

I'm not after more resolution or anything like that. It would be nice if the lower bass remains the same, not less that's for sure. More is welcome.

Measurements shows differences but my experiences tells me that reality is reality, ears will tell the truth. Problem is that i can't test either of those here. No one sells Grados where i live.

But i also purchased Hemp with no testing and Hemps nailed it.

Used is option also, not many for sale though. Wonder why 
From what I have seen, instrument separation and detail are maybe slightly improved? Maybe the soundstage of the RS1x is also slightly wider than the Hemps? If this is the case, I would love to listen and see how classical and instrumental music on the RS1x compares to the Hemps.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #58,147 of 65,767
Just put on the Dekoni custom velour pads (non fenestrated) onto the GS3KX.
The top end is definitely more pleasant sounding, but perhaps lacks a bit of “bite”, and possibly a bit too much low end (never thought I’d say this for Grados); there is more bass, but then it also loses a bit of punchiness and definition. Somewhat muddy low end with smear and bleed into the mid bass. Perhaps it was tuned for the non-X variants (?).

*edit - really comfortable pads though!

Jan 2, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #58,149 of 65,767

But i also purchased Hemp with no testing and Hemps nailed it.:heart_eyes:

Screenshot 2023-01-02 083515.jpg

Used is option also, not many for sale though. Wonder why :wink:
I compared the RS2x and RS1x side-by-side (and I have the HEMPS). RS2x sounds much fuller as the RS1x, but still not the same bass as the HEMP. In comparsion the RS1x is much leaner, but with more resolution/insight into the music. I bought the RS1x. Actually I really like the bass of RS1x with F pads.

The HEMP is a special phone in the Grado line up. Not that refined as the bigger models, but it has a big heart and soul.

Jan 2, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #58,150 of 65,767
I compared the RS2x and RS1x side-by-side (and I have the HEMPS). RS2x sounds much fuller as the RS1x, but still not the same bass as the HEMP. In comparsion the RS1x is much leaner, but with more resolution/insight into the music. I bought the RS1x. Actually I really like the bass of RS1x with F pads.

The HEMP is a special phone in the Grado line up. Not that refined as the bigger models, but it has a big heart and soul.
Thanks for that info. :)
Hemps i'm gonna keep anyway. Hemps really does have a big heart and soul as you so said!
I'm even little worried that i might dissapoint with other Grados. :wink:

Jan 3, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #58,152 of 65,767
Audeze are built like tanks, but the sound signature, especially of the LCD-2, is the polar opposite of Grado. LCD-X and above might be more to your liking (although still very different from Grado tuning). Big price difference, too, of course.
Just put on the Dekoni custom velour pads (non fenestrated) onto the GS3KX.
The top end is definitely more pleasant sounding, but perhaps lacks a bit of “bite”, and possibly a bit too much low end (never thought I’d say this for Grados); there is more bass, but then it also loses a bit of punchiness and definition. Somewhat muddy low end with smear and bleed into the mid bass. Perhaps it was tuned for the non-X variants (?).

*edit - really comfortable pads though!
The velours were the only way I could listen to the RS-1e, but if, as I understand it, the x tuning is more lush to begin with, the fenestrated sheepskin/velour might be more to your liking. Dekoni still has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, I believe, so you should be able to exchange for only the difference in price. The solid sheepskin Dekonis made even my e’s into bass cannons - too much so to be enjoyable. Unbelievable, but true.

YMMV, IMHO, just my $.03, etc., ad nauseum.

Jan 3, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #58,153 of 65,767
Hemps and this record makes me thinking do i even need other Grados or Alessandros. Just Wow :heart_eyes:

AND other end of spectrum works equal, fantastic headphone.

Last night I listened to Amy Winehouse at the BBC and came to the final conclusion that I really don't need anything better than Hemps. Because i believe that to me there's no better headphone than Hemp is. Yes, i know; famous last words! :beyersmile:
But i have had so many different headphones that i really believe that this is it.
Which is kind of confusing because I paid 300 euros for the used Hemps and got myself the final headphones.

With used RME ADI-2 DAC fs i used under 1keur to my set.

As @carboncopy so brilliantly expressed it: "Not that refined as the bigger models, but it has a big heart and soul."

And to me Hemp brings that big heart and soul to music. With Hemps, I enjoy the music itself more than ever before.
I don't need, or want more. This is just right.

IMG_0827.jpeg

EDIT: Grado GR10e is still in my list though, I also need a phones that does not leak sound out or in.

Anyone seen GR10e below 449euros in Europe?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #58,154 of 65,767
Last night I listened to Amy Winehouse at the BBC and came to the final conclusion that I really don't need anything better than Hemps. Because i believe that to me there's no better headphone than Hemp is. Yes, i know; famous last words! :beyersmile:
But i have had so many different headphones that i really believe that this is it.
Which is kind of confusing because I paid 300 euros for the used Hemps and got myself the final headphones.

With used RME ADI-2 DAC fs i used under 1keur to my set.

As @carboncopy so brilliantly expressed it: "Not that refined as the bigger models, but it has a big heart and soul."

And to me Hemp brings that big heart and soul to music. With Hemps, I enjoy the music itself more than ever before.
I don't need, or want more. This is just right.

IMG_0827.jpeg

EDIT: Grado GR10e is still in my list though, I also need a phones that does not leak sound out or in.

Anyone seen GR10e below 449euros in Europe?
Now there is one more thing with the HEMPs. I wrote about it several times, but...give it quality power! I had several "systems" through my headphone journey. Sometimes I reach something magical, extraordinary...then I swap one component to a better one (or I think it should be better) and the whole synergy is gone. Should be better, but no. This usually leads to the path, that slowly every component gets changed to even better and then, at some point there is a higher plato. But in between, when the system evolves is just a "between phase".

One such plato system was (which I kinda regretted for a while that I moved on) was the HEMP driven with the Enleum 23R as a power amp and a Trafomatic Audio Head 2 as a preamp. Power was through a Trafomatic Classic 1000 isolation transformator, the DAC was the Aries Cerat Heléne. All cabling Shunyata. I don't add it together how much money that electronic was behind a "poor" HEMP. But I tell you this: the HEMP just floated with music. Bass was pure, clean energy, everything was smooth but dynamic, not a single wrong note. It was sublime and if I compared how the HEMP sound out of my Fiio Q5s and from that system: galaxies apart.

It was (in paper) an absolute price mis-match. In practice....a whole another story.

Jan 3, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #58,155 of 65,767
Now there is one more thing with the HEMPs. I wrote about it several times, but...give it quality power! I had several "systems" through my headphone journey. Sometimes I reach something magical, extraordinary...then I swap one component to a better one (or I think it should be better) and the whole synergy is gone. Should be better, but no. This usually leads to the path, that slowly every component gets changed to even better and then, at some point there is a higher plato. But in between, when the system evolves is just a "between phase".

One such plato system was (which I kinda regretted for a while that I moved on) was the HEMP driven with the Enleum 23R as a power amp and a Trafomatic Audio Head 2 as a preamp. Power was through a Trafomatic Classic 1000 isolation transformator, the DAC was the Aries Cerat Heléne. All cabling Shunyata. I don't add it together how much money that electronic was behind a "poor" HEMP. But I tell you this: the HEMP just floated with music. Bass was pure, clean energy, everything was smooth but dynamic, not a single wrong note. It was sublime and if I compared how the HEMP sound out of my Fiio Q5s and from that system: galaxies apart.

It was (in paper) an absolute price mis-match. In practice....a whole another story.
Maybe i someday try some other amp also. But RME in high power mode makes Hemps sound really good, there's clear difference between Lo- and High-power mode.
I don't doubt that I won't get much more out from Hemps some other amp, but just now i like Hemp with RME. My RME is with older AKM-chip, which many prefer better than the new one.

I could imagine that e.g. Graham Slee Solo Ultra linear DE which i owned years back might match pretty good with Hemps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back