Grado Fan Club!
Jan 3, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #58,156 of 65,868
I'm pretty impressed (and happy) about how much the bass response is evolving in the RS2x.

One week ago it was still frighteningly lean on some recording, now everything sounds amazing and fuller. There's bass!

I`m even running it with the Apple Dongle DAC on the iPhone. Can't belive how amazing is souding in this setup.

My hard-earned money was not in vain!

Just saying in case anyone thinks the bass will never shows on it. :)
I found the bass decent at first, but it definitely improves over time

Jan 3, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #58,158 of 65,868
@Plautus001 What do you use to drive your RS2x? Feeling that amplitication affects more the sound than source and dac.
Mostly Schiit Asgard 3 from a Modius AKM4493, but I am waiting for my ModiMultibit2 to arrive

I have also tried the RS2x with my Darkvoice tube amp with some interesting results (extra bass due to high impedience).

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #58,159 of 65,868
Mostly Schiit Asgard 3 from a Modius AKM4493, but I am waiting for my ModiMultibit2 to arrive

I have also tried the RS2x with my Darkvoice tube amp with some interesting results (extra bass due to high impedience).
…that is, high output impedance of the DV (probably around 120 ohms) versus the nominal impedance of 38 ohms for the RS-2x. You will have ‘added’ bass via impedance mismatch - that bass might not be the clearest, though.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #58,160 of 65,868
Just put on the Dekoni custom velour pads (non fenestrated) onto the GS3KX.
The top end is definitely more pleasant sounding, but perhaps lacks a bit of “bite”, and possibly a bit too much low end (never thought I’d say this for Grados); there is more bass, but then it also loses a bit of punchiness and definition. Somewhat muddy low end with smear and bleed into the mid bass. Perhaps it was tuned for the non-X variants (?).

*edit - really comfortable pads though!

The custom velour fenestrated work very well on the RS1x. I wonder if the fenestrated makes all the difference here?

Pulled the top end of the RS1x back just a touch - without mucking with the midrange.

Jan 3, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #58,161 of 65,868
…that is, high output impedance of the DV (probably around 120 ohms) versus the nominal impedance of 38 ohms for the RS-2x. You will have ‘added’ bass via impedance mismatch - that bass might not be the clearest, though.
Yup

Jan 4, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #58,162 of 65,868
The custom velour fenestrated work very well on the RS1x. I wonder if the fenestrated makes all the difference here?

Pulled the top end of the RS1x back just a touch - without mucking with the midrange.

good stuff! I'm gg to give the fenestrated version a go. waiting for it to arrive.

Jan 4, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #58,163 of 65,868
I'm pretty impressed (and happy) about how much the bass response is evolving in the RS2x.

One week ago it was still frighteningly lean on some recording, now everything sounds amazing and fuller. There's bass!

I`m even running it with the Apple Dongle DAC on the iPhone. Can't belive how amazing is souding in this setup.

My hard-earned money was not in vain!

Just saying in case anyone thinks the bass will never shows on it. :)
Apple dongle is pretty good actually. There's difference though with my Hemps when i swapped RME ADI-2 DAC fs, but look at the pricetag. :D

Jan 5, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #58,164 of 65,868
In 2022 I was playing around a lot with Grados, with their pads and sources. To understand my results you should know, that I come from Stax, earning a collection of 20 electrostates . Never the less I like the character of Grado and their image. For me, they are like Harley Davidson: Horrible constructions but you have to love the sound.
At the moment I have 5 of my favorit Grados at home:
- very early RS1 with wooden bottons and golden letters (first owner since about 30 years) - favorite pads: Shibibo
- GS 1000, very hard to handle - play it with tape modded Gpads now. Very depending on the music I listen with them.
- PS 1000e, my second one. This one was modified with other drivers and a nice headband. They got some ZMF fenastred pads, very beautiful and very bass heavy ( maybe my best Grados), nice mids. Lot of fun.
-GH2, I dried a lot of the smaller, newer Grados, but those were the best for my ears.
- GS 3000 with MR Speaker Voce pads. Very balanced and most detailed of the 5

Most of the time I play the Grados with my second hifi-line: Roon Rock - ifi Micro iusb - Mytek Brooklyn - little Dot mk1 with Burson V6 vivid and Telefunken tubes . Also I have good experiences with Earman TR and ifi Micro ican . ifi Ican is a little bit cleanen, but little Dot has more space, more musicality and the V6 gives him good dynamic.
(Tubes, some where in the line, are a must for my taste and Grados like them too.)
The little Dot mk1 is an unbeliefable match with the Grados and a nice and cheap playground for those of us, who like to swap tubes and opamps.

So some of my experiences with Grado:
- If I compare the 30 year old RS1 with new TOTLs from today , I must say, Grado has made a lot of steps...but to the side, not that much forward. In my combination and with my ears (I am not sensible in the highs anymore) the RS1 is so close to the GS3000, that' a shame for every developer.
- Didn't like the White One and the Hemp. Both to muffled for me.
- Trying different pads makes sense. You may expect more comfort, but none of them is the best solution for all Grados concerning sound.
- You can't expect better sound from newer or more expensive models in the Grado line. There is no logic. (Maybe its better now with the x line. Liked the RS1x more than the RS2x, even I thought the last one is an evolution to the e.)
- The price of the PS2000 has reached a level, which took a part of the symphathie I always felt for this company. 90% has stayed the same since years but prices went up more than double. But ok, everywhere the same.

Have a better 2023,
enjoy music,
enjoy your Grados
tom

Attachments

• 20230105_141908.jpg
    20230105_141908.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #58,165 of 65,868
In 2022 I was playing around a lot with Grados, with their pads and sources. To understand my results you should know, that I come from Stax, earning a collection of 20 electrostates . Never the less I like the character of Grado and their image. For me, they are like Harley Davidson: Horrible constructions but you have to love the sound.
At the moment I have 5 of my favorit Grados at home:
- very early RS1 with wooden bottons and golden letters (first owner since about 30 years) - favorite pads: Shibibo
- GS 1000, very hard to handle - play it with tape modded Gpads now. Very depending on the music I listen with them.
- PS 1000e, my second one. This one was modified with other drivers and a nice headband. They got some ZMF fenastred pads, very beautiful and very bass heavy ( maybe my best Grados), nice mids. Lot of fun.
-GH2, I dried a lot of the smaller, newer Grados, but those were the best for my ears.
- GS 3000 with MR Speaker Voce pads. Very balanced and most detailed of the 5

Most of the time I play the Grados with my second hifi-line: Roon Rock - ifi Micro iusb - Mytek Brooklyn - little Dot mk1 with Burson V6 vivid and Telefunken tubes . Also I have good experiences with Earman TR and ifi Micro ican . ifi Ican is a little bit cleanen, but little Dot has more space, more musicality and the V6 gives him good dynamic.
(Tubes, some where in the line, are a must for my taste and Grados like them too.)
The little Dot mk1 is an unbeliefable match with the Grados and a nice and cheap playground for those of us, who like to swap tubes and opamps.

So some of my experiences with Grado:
- If I compare the 30 year old RS1 with new TOTLs from today , I must say, Grado has made a lot of steps...but to the side, not that much forward. In my combination and with my ears (I am not sensible in the highs anymore) the RS1 is so close to the GS3000, that' a shame for every developer.
- Didn't like the White One and the Hemp. Both to muffled for me.
- Trying different pads makes sense. You may expect more comfort, but none of them is the best solution for all Grados concerning sound.
- You can't expect better sound from newer or more expensive models in the Grado line. There is no logic. (Maybe its better now with the x line. Liked the RS1x more than the RS2x, even I thought the last one is an evolution to the e.)
- The price of the PS2000 has reached a level, which took a part of the symphathie I always felt for this company. 90% has stayed the same since years but prices went up more than double. But ok, everywhere the same.

Have a better 2023,
enjoy music,
enjoy your Grados
tom
Thanks for sharing. :)
So if my ears love Hemps, it’s not worth for me to even try RS2x? Or RS1x?
I have nothing bad to say about Hemps. Soundstage could be bigger, that’s all.
I love Hemps soundsignature and the way that it handles music. With soul and heart.

Edit: I am still amazed how musical headphones i got about 300euros. Best i have had. By a big margin.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #58,166 of 65,868
Oh no! That's not what I wanted to say.
A lot of people like the hemp and the RS1,2x are great headphones. (Thought about buying the 2 until I heart the 1).
Try what ever is possible and make your own experiences.

Jan 5, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #58,167 of 65,868
These days, I spend very good times with a SR325X which came after a Hemp (which is still there).
I'm very happy with new signature of the 325, especially with Beautiful Audio hybrids (Grado F are good too sound wise but so uncomfortable with my glasses).
I've tried with RME ADI 2 (AKM) but it's great even with the Mojo 2.

I'm considering trying other Grado headphones (RS1X, GS1000X, GS3000X).
As a rock music listener, I expect good quality bass (I want to feel the slam).
Which model would you suggest ?
And is it worth the extra price ?

Jan 5, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #58,168 of 65,868
To @ZeDuK, if you want to ‘feel’ the bass slam with any of the Grado Reference Series (vintage, former, current), use the F-cushions. I always take off my glasses when I listen via headphones (Grado or otherwise). It is comfortable and, since my eyesight is so weak, I focus on sound 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Jan 5, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #58,169 of 65,868
I totally agree with you, when I first discovered the F pads with the Hemp, I was stunned : never heard a Grado sound like that but it's still a Grado.
Beautiful Audio's are great pads too, offering something different but it's a 2 minutes change.

Except the pads, or speaking about driver and cups, can we get significantly further with some of the more expansive Grado (RS2X, RS1X, GS1000X, GS3000X) ?

Jan 5, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #58,170 of 65,868
These days, I spend very good times with a SR325X which came after a Hemp (which is still there).
I'm very happy with new signature of the 325, especially with Beautiful Audio hybrids (Grado F are good too sound wise but so uncomfortable with my glasses).
I've tried with RME ADI 2 (AKM) but it's great even with the Mojo 2.

I'm considering trying other Grado headphones (RS1X, GS1000X, GS3000X).
As a rock music listener, I expect good quality bass (I want to feel the slam).
Which model would you suggest ?
And is it worth the extra price ?
Well, I have the 325x, RS1x and GS3000x. I can't speak to the GS1000x. Both the RS1x and GS3000x are better than most all headphones I've heard. Before continuing, I want to stress that no one has the same listening preferences/hearing abilities, as I do, hence YMMV. Okay, all disclaimers aside, the bass on the 3000x is superior to that of the RS1x. More pronounced, tighter, and seems to blend better into the mids (is that evening an audio term??? Blend??). Anyway, if you got the RS1x and never heard the 3000x, I'm guessing you would be truly pleased with the improvements between it and the 325x. Heck, even if you have heard the 3000x I'm guessing that you would still truly enjoy and appreciate the RS1x over the 325x.

Good luck!

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back