Grado Fan Club!
Nov 22, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #57,571 of 65,633
Welp, my GS3000e got the dreaded grattle. Sucking and blowing on the driver made it worse, so I think it's a creased driver, not a stray hair. Sent it away for repair, $330 after shipping. :thermometer_face:

Nov 22, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #57,572 of 65,633
I gotta say the ol' Qudelix 5k does a bang-up job. The iFi xDSD as well with the 3D/Bass on.

Now you have me thinking, I thought the Bluetooth connection was inferior to the wired connections. I was thinking about an HiBy FC3 to maintain the physical connection for my phone without a headphone jack. The Qudelix-5K BT connection isn't going to lesson my listening experience or does it connect by usb-c as well?

Nov 22, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #57,573 of 65,633
Welp, my GS3000e got the dreaded grattle. Sucking and blowing on the driver made it worse, so I think it's a creased driver, not a stray hair. Sent it away for repair, $330 after shipping. :thermometer_face:
Yikes. Are they just replacing the bad driver ?

Nov 22, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #57,574 of 65,633
GH-1 owner here. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think the Grado company is in trouble. The PS series headphones are no longer in production. If you click to buy the PS2000 or the PS500 it goes to a page that no longer exists. https://gradolabs.com/headphones/professional-series/item/69-ps2000e I emailed the company to confirm and it is correct that these items are no longer in production. There was no special release headphone for 2022. It seems they might be having supply chain issues that are preventing them from creating their PS series headphones, that or demand has dried up. I hope they are able to keep the operation going, but it doesn't look good. Cheers, fellow Grado-philes.

Nov 22, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #57,575 of 65,633
Now you have me thinking, I thought the Bluetooth connection was inferior to the wired connections. I was thinking about an HiBy FC3 to maintain the physical connection for my phone without a headphone jack. The Qudelix-5K BT connection isn't going to lesson my listening experience or does it connect by usb-c as well?

The 5K is a fantastic little device. For barely over $100, it is a no brainer.

It does LDAC Bluetooth (if you are on Android), which gets you damn close to wired fidelity levels. But it also does 24/96 via USB-C.

It sounds fantastic with my Grados, and is my primary DAC/amp run balanced into my Turbulent Labs FrankenGrado (via a short 2.5mm balanced cable).

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #57,576 of 65,633
GH-1 owner here. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think the Grado company is in trouble. The PS series headphones are no longer in production. If you click to buy the PS2000 or the PS500 it goes to a page that no longer exists. https://gradolabs.com/headphones/professional-series/item/69-ps2000e I emailed the company to confirm and it is correct that these items are no longer in production. There was no special release headphone for 2022. It seems they might be having supply chain issues that are preventing them from creating their PS series headphones, that or demand has dried up. I hope they are able to keep the operation going, but it doesn't look good. Cheers, fellow Grado-philes.
Are you forgetting the GS1000x and the GS3000x? I would presume, supply chain issues aside (if they exist) they are merely letting stock deplete before releasing the PS3000x or PS2000x. I would, frankly, surmise that the above post is what is currently known as conflation. I'd guess, competition aside, that Grado are doing quite alright at the moment.

Nov 22, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #57,578 of 65,633
Bonobo, the entire x-series, from the SR-60x to the GS-3000x, are doing well in terms of sales. A number of them have received critical acclaim - at their price points: e.g. SR-325x, RS-1x. In a competitive environment, Grado is more than holding its own.

Nov 22, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #57,579 of 65,633
Yikes. Are they just replacing the bad driver ?

Actually, they said they'd replace both drivers, even though one side is still OK, as the drivers are matched. The repair cost scales up depending on the model, except the wireless models which are $200. Probably because if the electronics are busted, they're entirely replaced.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #57,580 of 65,633
Afternoon Grado heads, wanted to pass along an offer to one of my favorite threads in that I’m selling a few nice Grado-relevant pieces that I’d love to pass along to an avid fan.
- LNIB Rupert Neve RNHP (great with ‘metal’ houses Grados)
- Mapletree MAD EAR+ HD with a slew of tubes
- clean PS2000e headphones with accessories

If you are interested and mention this post, I’d be willing to offer a little discount!

Nov 22, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #57,581 of 65,633
The 5K is a fantastic little device. For barely over $100, it is a no brainer.

It does LDAC Bluetooth (if you are on Android), which gets you damn close to wired fidelity levels. But it also does 24/96 via USB-C.

It sounds fantastic with my Grados, and is my primary DAC/amp run balanced into my Turbulent Labs FrankenGrado (via a short 2.5mm balanced cable).
Awesome thank you, guess I will move my sights to the 5k and forget the FC3.

Nov 22, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #57,582 of 65,633
I'm sure the company is fine. They may discontinue the Professional series (or rework it with a new model), but their bread and butter are the Prestige and Reference lines. Having those crowned with the Statement models may be all they need.

Nov 22, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #57,583 of 65,633
So not worth buying the GS1000e?
Of course we all need to please ourselves. I for one never liked any rendition of the GS1000. That changed for me with my few days spent with the brand new GS1000x which very well might become my next Grado. That or the GS3000x which I also had some time with.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #57,584 of 65,633
Did you get a chance to compare Ori v. Beyer pads? Did the angle of the Ori pads make any noticeable difference?

I currently use the Beyer perforated on my Hemps. I'd like to try something like the Ori that has an oval ear opening in hopes they will help the Hemps stay in place better when stretched out in my recliner.
I was going to get Ori pads, but didn't do it yet :frowning2:

Nov 22, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #57,585 of 65,633
The RS2x works very well with the F pads if you like the voicing of the Hemp and 325x. With the F pad the RS2x is punchy like the Hemp, but with better resolution, microdynamics and treble extension.
So RS1x, GS1000x and GS3000x are not bassy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back