Grado Fan Club!
Nov 22, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #57,586 of 65,721
GH-1 owner here. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think the Grado company is in trouble. The PS series headphones are no longer in production. If you click to buy the PS2000 or the PS500 it goes to a page that no longer exists. https://gradolabs.com/headphones/professional-series/item/69-ps2000e I emailed the company to confirm and it is correct that these items are no longer in production. There was no special release headphone for 2022. It seems they might be having supply chain issues that are preventing them from creating their PS series headphones, that or demand has dried up. I hope they are able to keep the operation going, but it doesn't look good. Cheers, fellow Grado-philes.
FWIW this isn't the first time that's happened. Sometimes there are some production issues and things go offline for a bit until it's straightened out.

And come to think of it, if I remember correctly, they pulled the SR line off the site for a little bit before because they were getting ready to launch the SR-NNNx series, so there's definitely a nonzero chance that there's a new revision of the PS line happening.

Nov 22, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #57,588 of 65,721
I never heard the GS1000x and GS3000x. The RS1x are not bassy at all, there is obviously no sub-bass whatsoever and the mid-bass tends to be quite lacking as well.
Coming from Hemp and 325x I thought all Grado were bassy :wink:

Nov 22, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #57,590 of 65,721
GH-1 owner here. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think the Grado company is in trouble. The PS series headphones are no longer in production. If you click to buy the PS2000 or the PS500 it goes to a page that no longer exists. https://gradolabs.com/headphones/professional-series/item/69-ps2000e I emailed the company to confirm and it is correct that these items are no longer in production. There was no special release headphone for 2022. It seems they might be having supply chain issues that are preventing them from creating their PS series headphones, that or demand has dried up. I hope they are able to keep the operation going, but it doesn't look good. Cheers, fellow Grado-philes.
The decision to discontinue the PS2000e was based on several particulars, nothing to do with performance. The PS500e was probably just left to fade away.

With all the well received initial x series things are quite busy and now the introduction of first the GS3000x (named current TOTL ) and the brand new GS1000x.

Lastly, John is always researching and engineering, listening for his next designs. The PS2000e is still a wonderful musical device.

Full steam ahead..

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #57,592 of 65,721
Just got the Nitsch Piety and a HP-1 on loan .... and it's quite the combo.... Sunday morning I was doing my routine of coffe and music ... My wife (who’s not an audiophile, but loves music, has heard a lot of my gear and will always have an opinion) This was our interaction that morning:

“Is this the amp and headphone you were talking about last night?”

“Yes.”

“Can I try it?”

“Yes” *gives her the HP-1*

Fine minutes later…. “OMG! These are amazing! But they look so janky (referring to the Grado HP-1s) Did someone make this in their garage or something?”

“Yes actually…”

Also - my RS-2 Buttons came back from repair from the nice team/folx at Grado. New drivers and they replaced the cable with the new X cable. Very happy.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 5.02.05 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 5.02.05 AM.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 5.02.19 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 5.02.19 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Nov 23, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #57,593 of 65,721
I never heard the GS1000x and GS3000x. The RS1x are not bassy at all, there is obviously no sub-bass whatsoever and the mid-bass tends to be quite lacking as well.
For a little perspective on the RS1x bass: I have a pair of etymotic ER4SR's, which are flat to 20Hz, and they have a lot more bass than the RS1x. I appreciate the fact that the RS1x's don't have overblown, exaggerated bass, but Grado went too far below flat, IMO.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #57,595 of 65,721
I do not care for bass heavy headphones. Have been enjoying the 3000x since they were released and find the bass to be pleasant and substantial to my ears. Tight, controlled, but nowhere near bass heavy. Just my opinion!

Leo

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #57,596 of 65,721
I do not care for bass heavy headphones. Have been enjoying the 3000x since they were released and find the bass to be pleasant and substantial to my ears. Tight, controlled, but nowhere near bass heavy. Just my opinion!

Leo

I should have mentioned that I'm not a basshead at all. To my ears, the bass extension of the RS1x is weak and anemic, and unfortunately the F pads was not a good option for me because it kills the mid-treble "magic" of the RS1x.

I appreciate the fact that the RS1x's don't have overblown, exaggerated bass, but Grado went too far below flat, IMO.

I agree with you.

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #57,597 of 65,721
You can try pad rolling (Dekoni sheepskin pads apparently turn any Grado into a bass monster), or use an amp with bass boost (I love my iFi Pro iCAN), or use an amp with higher output impedance if you're OK with looser bass.

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #57,598 of 65,721
You can try pad rolling (Dekoni sheepskin pads apparently turn any Grado into a bass monster), or use an amp with bass boost (I love my iFi Pro iCAN), or use an amp with higher output impedance if you're OK with looser bass.
iFi gear matches Grado so damn well. Using the Hemp with the xDSD at the moment and the combo of 3D+ and Xbass is stellar. Either one by itself makes it sound a little wonky but they combine beautifully.

Nov 23, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #57,599 of 65,721

Lol, I think they're probably doing just fine; even if they were to cancel the Professional series altogether. Google cancels tons of products quite regularly; but I dont see Google going out of business any time soon... :gs1000smile:

What I'm more curious about is why they decided to switch so many of their wooden-housed headphones away from mahogany wood and replaced with things like the hemp composite, maple, cocobolo, etc... Used to be that pretty much all of the wooden-housed headphones (reference all the way to professional) were housed in mahogany; now that's no longer the case. Makes me wonder if there's a supply chain issue w/ Mahogany or maybe the hemp composite & other woods are cheaper for them to source.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #57,600 of 65,721
or use an amp with bass boost (I love my iFi Pro iCAN)

iFi gear matches Grado so damn well. Using the Hemp with the xDSD at the moment and the combo of 3D+ and Xbass is stellar. Either one by itself makes it sound a little wonky but they combine beautifully.

I agree with you guys, I'm using the RS2x (L-pads) with the iFi Zen Dac V2 (+TrueBass) when I'm working from the office like today :wink:

eujTF49.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back