Grado Fan Club!
Nov 16, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #57,421 of 66,008
I’ve auditioned the RS1x, RS2x and Hemp. I have the SR325i and recently acquired the RS2e after having heard the above noted offerings. To me the RS2e is the best Grado in the entire RS lineup, past and present, unless of course you listen to EDM. You won’t find one in excellent condition under US$350. Good luck!!
I agree with you that the RS2e is quite good and also good bang for the buck..

Having had all the models you refer to I would have to add the original Vintage RS1 with wood buttons as my favorite RS of all time. I find it has a transparency that the other models do not quite capture and very deep reaching bass. I consider it among the best sounding Grado models of all time. If you ever get a chance to get to hear one make sure you do.

Have fun,

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #57,422 of 66,008
some of the reviews talk about it as being quite warm compared to the usual Grado signature (and I would not mind that), other say the highs are very pronounced, so I am confused. If any of you has/had the 325i and could tell me how they compare

Both of those things are mostly true. The Hemps are warmer than other Grados, but also still a Grado so more bright than a lot of others.

325i (the gold anniversary edition) has magnificent sparkly treble, more so than Hemp, but really cries out for some bass boost, where the Hemp can get by on its own.

Nov 16, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #57,423 of 66,008
It's weird because aside from some minor niggles I can't pick out anything wrong with the XS, it just doesn't "sing" to me like the Hemp does. I'm absolutely going to miss that huge, spacious sound thanks to those massive drivers and ear cups but in the end what matters most isn't what has the best measurements, it's what makes me enjoy my music the most lol
Can't keep both ? They seem like they are very complementary and would each scratch a different itch. Also I own at least 25 headphones 😜

Nov 16, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #57,424 of 66,008
I agree with you that the RS2e is a quite good and also good bang for the buck..

Having had all the models you refer to I would have to add the original Vintage RS1 with wood buttons as my favorite RS of all time. I find it has a transparency that the other models do not quite capture and very deep reaching bass. I consider it among the best sounding Grado models of all time. If you ever get a chance to get to hear one make sure you do.

Have fun,
I had forgotten about the original RS1 button…. It’s Steve Guttenberg’s favorite and the only one that I haven’t heard.

Nov 16, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #57,425 of 66,008
So lots of talk about the RS1 and the limited editions, and even some mention of the GS, but I don’t see much on the Professional Series, other than the PS500/e. I admit to not having gone through all 3,829 pages of this thread, so maybe I missed the discussion, but are the PS not doing it for you guys? Are they too old, or too expensive? I’ve got a line on a mint OG GS1000 (not e), and the reviews on line from when they were new are superb, but I’m not sure whether or not to pull the trigger or whether it’s just going to be a big disappointment. Anyone have a pair and feel like comparing them to the more current models, or just opining on their relative merits/shortcomings? To be specific, I’m looking for Sennheiser 6 series musicality with Grado immediacy, transparency and slam. And I need natural musical warmth, bass slam and traction - analytical and/or sterile is not my thing, and soundstaging is tertiary (I’ve got that in spades from my two channel system). Do, is the PS100 going to do that or am I barking up the wrong tree? Or is it as divisive as virtually everything else seems to be? The RS-1e with Dekoni velours got me much of the way there, but not totally - it’s still missing a bit of natural tonal saturation and timbre for me (e.g., female singers seem to sound 10 years younger than they are). I got the RS-1e because I’ve wanted an RS-1 ever since I sold my aOG RS-2, because for me, the sound was too thin. I thought the RS-1 would solve that issue, but not totally. The Hemps actually seemed a little better in that regard, but at the price of some ‘refinement’, and with the F pads, which I think are the best sounding for them, they were also a little too close and, perforce, intense - I want 5th row, not on stage next to the drummer with my head in the piano. Could the PS1000 be the ticket to get me there? All relevant thoughts welcome - I’m on an information hunt because I can’t gather the data on my own, I’m not asking for a decision to be made for me. Could be I’m looking in the wrong place altogether and what I really need is a pair of LCD-3 or ZMF Auteur, But at the moment, I’m intrigued by the PS1000. Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #57,426 of 66,008
So lots of talk about the RS1 and the limited editions, and even some mention of the GS, but I don’t see much on the Professional Series, other than the PS500/e. I admit to not having gone through all 3,829 pages of this thread, so maybe I missed the discussion, but are the PS not doing it for you guys? Are they too old, or too expensive? I’ve got a line on a mint OG GS1000 (not e), and the reviews on line from when they were new are superb, but I’m not sure whether or not to pull the trigger or whether it’s just going to be a big disappointment. Anyone have a pair and feel like comparing them to the more current models, or just opining on their relative merits/shortcomings? To be specific, I’m looking for Sennheiser 6 series musicality with Grado immediacy, transparency and slam. And I need natural musical warmth, bass slam and traction - analytical and/or sterile is not my thing, and soundstaging is tertiary (I’ve got that in spades from my two channel system). Do, is the PS100 going to do that or am I barking up the wrong tree? Or is it as divisive as virtually everything else seems to be? The RS-1e with Dekoni velours got me much of the way there, but not totally - it’s still missing a bit of natural tonal saturation and timbre for me (e.g., female singers seem to sound 10 years younger than they are). I got the RS-1e because I’ve wanted an RS-1 ever since I sold my aOG RS-2, because for me, the sound was too thin. I thought the RS-1 would solve that issue, but not totally. The Hemps actually seemed a little better in that regard, but at the price of some ‘refinement’, and with the F pads, which I think are the best sounding for them, they were also a little too close and, perforce, intense - I want 5th row, not on stage next to the drummer with my head in the piano. Could the PS1000 be the ticket to get me there? All relevant thoughts welcome - I’m on an information hunt because I can’t gather the data on my own, I’m not asking for a decision to be made for me. Could be I’m looking in the wrong place altogether and what I really need is a pair of LCD-3 or ZMF Auteur, But at the moment, I’m intrigued by the PS1000. Thanks.

There's a lot to chew on in your post :)

I have an original PS1000 with the matte finish. I love it, and would say it is my favorite sounding Grado . . . with its only drawback being it's somewhat big and clunky.

I use it with the Geekria version of G cushions; which are shallower than the stock cushions. This has the effect of pulling those heavy metal cups closer to your head for a better fit and seal, and a little more RAHHHHHHH!!!! up close sound.

They have plenty of bass. They're the only Grados I have where I dont want any bass boost on my Zen Dac. I wouldn't go so far as to say the bass has SLAM! though. Just nice tight well defined bass.

They are still Grados. No one is likely to accuse them of being "analytical" or "sterile". "Fun" and "engaging" though - hell yeah.

An Auteur is probably a good comp, although they're probably warmer and the PS1000 brighter. If I was listening to some funky fusion jazz I'd pick the Auteur; a Dead show the PS1000.

Still very easy to drive; but call for a desktop setup due to their size and clunkiness.

Hope this helps ?

Nov 16, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #57,427 of 66,008

Hope this helps ?
Thanks, I try. 🤓

It helps a great deal, much appreciated. The fact that you took the time to read my post and answer me on my own terms means a lot. Thank you.

Edit: Oh, and Jerry’s electric guitar sure does sound awesome on the Grados.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #57,428 of 66,008

As an owner of a few Grados from a few generations, I think the PS1000 or PS1000e tick some of the boxes you mentioned.

My PS1000e are heavy to me, and regretfully don't get much head time. More like a "secret weapon" in my collection that I pull out when I want a recording to have more dynamism than with anything else. Listening at low volumes, I tend to get a much more balanced sound signature, but I turn them up to rock out. The extra volume imparts extra bass impact and treble slam.

I think the PS1000e or HP2 are the most revealing of detail I've heard. As for comparison to my HD600, the PS1000e win out in soundstage, detail, warmth, and transparency, with comfort falling short of the Sennheiser due to the weight -- so I added a reversible mod suspension strap. The Senn will have a tad more sub-bass too, but it's scarcely noticeable unless listening to synth bass.

I've done a brief in-store comparison between a PS1000 and non-i GS1000, with the only takeaway being that the PS1000 gives you more, more, more, for better or worse. If I had to judge from my remembered impression back then, I'd say GS for naturalistic performance, and PS series to mix back in more of the "fun" factor.

I will say that I don't think they'll get you out to the 5th row. More like 2nd row in front of a large venue stage.

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #57,430 of 66,008
Getting a bonus next
I’m not sure yet but I’m planning on getting a set of the rs2x soon!
Why RS2x and not RS1x? I have been going back and forth between the two.

Nov 17, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #57,431 of 66,008
As an owner of a few Grados from a few generations, I think the PS1000 or PS1000e tick some of the boxes you mentioned.

My PS1000e are heavy to me, and regretfully don't get much head time. More like a "secret weapon" in my collection that I pull out when I want a recording to have more dynamism than with anything else. Listening at low volumes, I tend to get a much more balanced sound signature, but I turn them up to rock out. The extra volume imparts extra bass impact and treble slam.

I think the PS1000e or HP2 are the most revealing of detail I've heard. As for comparison to my HD600, the PS1000e win out in soundstage, detail, warmth, and transparency, with comfort falling short of the Sennheiser due to the weight -- so I added a reversible mod suspension strap. The Senn will have a tad more sub-bass too, but it's scarcely noticeable unless listening to synth bass.

I've done a brief in-store comparison between a PS1000 and non-i GS1000, with the only takeaway being that the PS1000 gives you more, more, more, for better or worse. If I had to judge from my remembered impression back then, I'd say GS for naturalistic performance, and PS series to mix back in more of the "fun" factor.

I will say that I don't think they'll get you out to the 5th row. More like 2nd row in front of a large venue stage.
can you post a pic of this suspension band mod?

Nov 17, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #57,432 of 66,008

I have an original PS1000 with the matte finish. I love it, and would say it is my favorite sounding Grado . . . with its only drawback being it's somewhat big and clunky.

I use it with the Geekria version of G cushions; which are shallower than the stock cushions. This has the effect of pulling those heavy metal cups closer to your head for a better fit and seal, and a little more RAHHHHHHH!!!! up close sound.

They have plenty of bass. They're the only Grados I have where I dont want any bass boost on my Zen Dac. I wouldn't go so far as to say the bass has SLAM! though. Just nice tight well defined bass.

They are still Grados. No one is likely to accuse them of being "analytical" or "sterile". "Fun" and "engaging" though - hell yeah.

An Auteur is probably a good comp, although they're probably warmer and the PS1000 brighter. If I was listening to some funky fusion jazz I'd pick the Auteur; a Dead show the PS1000.

Still very easy to drive; but call for a desktop setup due to their size and clunkiness.

Hope this helps ?
There is a beautiful condition PS1000 in the classified listed by fellow Head Fier @joseph69. His has the chrome finish on the cups. The PS1000 (not e) and the PS2000e former Flagship have the best bass of any Grados I have heard (which is most of them over the years).

Check the ad just to see the great photos. It also has the headband from a PS2000e which is wider and more comfortable. It really distributes the weight very nicely, I can wear my PS2000e for hours without any discomfort.

Lastly, in my opinion he has them listed at a very fair price.

Nov 17, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #57,434 of 66,008

Users who are viewing this thread

Back