Grado Fan Club!
Oct 3, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #56,821 of 65,629
Lots of campers, get out the marshmallows.

Enjoy the new journey.
….and like SpongeBob, start singing campfire songs with Patrick….to the chagrin of Squidward….🤣

Oct 3, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #56,822 of 65,629
Oct 3, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #56,823 of 65,629
@Strat1117
I was ( English sense of humour)

OK, understand (now :wink: ).

I got it. I just believe that @InLoveWithHeadphones may not be a native English speaker (not certain - while his English is quite good, it’s just a feeling I get from certain grammatical/syntax choices, e.g., using “tell” instead of “say”), so your dry English wit may have been lost in translation. No worries, either way. 😉

Totally correct, I am not a native English speaker (I am from Germany by the way).
Happy to know that you consider my English as quite good. :relaxed:
However, if you would hear me talk English instead of writing, you would for sure have no doubt at all that I am no native English speaker :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
And your example is really good, I did indeed think about if I should use "tell" or "say" in that sentence because I was not certain - and obviously decided wrong :wink:

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #56,826 of 65,629
I find myself oddly enamored of these RS1e headphones (with aftermarket Vever jumbo pads). The Audeze are clearly ‘better’ in every way, the DCA’s are more high tech, and the Sennheisers are certainly a slicker, more professional finished product and just as good, although quite different, sounding. But these silly wooden Grados appeal to me emotionally in a different way than any of the others. And it’s the whole package, not just the sound. Weird. Anyway, they’ve now got place of pride in the main system. Much to my own surprise and total amazement. But the smile on my face says all I need to know. We’ll eventually see if it’s just a honeymoon effect, but right now I am one happy guest at Camp Grado.

Nothing to add to the bold marked sentences in the quote.
100% agreed!

Whenever you reach this kind of smile on your face ........ you did obviously right. :relaxed: :)

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #56,827 of 65,629
I don't know if this is the wrong place to ask or not. I am looking to add some new headphones, unfortunately there is nowhere to audition what I think my choice has come down to and I want any help you fine folk can give me.

I have a set of pre-e RS-2s which I really like. I have some LCD 4s which I love. The RS-2s live at work, and I want something else to go with my LCD-4s for at home when I want a different sound. Just by reading and talking to different people I think I have narrowed my choices to a pair of Grado GS 3000X or ZMF Vérité. Does anyone here have both and if so can you speak on the sound of each and vs each?

Oct 3, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #56,828 of 65,629
I don't know if this is the wrong place to ask or not. I am looking to add some new headphones, unfortunately there is nowhere to audition what I think my choice has come down to and I want any help you fine folk can give me.

I have a set of pre-e RS-2s which I really like. I have some LCD 4s which I love. The RS-2s live at work, and I want something else to go with my LCD-4s for at home when I want a different sound. Just by reading and talking to different people I think I have narrowed my choices to a pair of Grado GS 3000X or ZMF Vérité. Does anyone here have both and if so can you speak on the sound of each and vs each?
They are quite opposite. I mean ZMF and Grado. I owned the Verité, it was boring to me. The sound somehow never escaped them, it was just...as if that big wood somehow drowned everything. Grado's on the other hand are the most open, soaring headphones (sans the Raal).

Oct 3, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #56,829 of 65,629
I got it. I just believe that @InLoveWithHeadphones may not be a native English speaker (not certain - while his English is quite good, it’s just a feeling I get from certain grammatical/syntax choices, e.g., using “tell” instead of “say”), so your dry English wit may have been lost in translation. No worries, either way. 😉

Back on topic:
I find myself oddly enamored of these RS1e headphones (with aftermarket Vever jumbo pads). The Audeze are clearly ‘better’ in every way, the DCA’s are more high tech, and the Sennheisers are certainly a slicker, more professional finished product and just as good, although quite different, sounding. But these silly wooden Grados appeal to me emotionally in a different way than any of the others. And it’s the whole package, not just the sound. Weird. Anyway, they’ve now got place of pride in the main system. Much to my own surprise and total amazement. But the smile on my face says all I need to know. We’ll eventually see if it’s just a honeymoon effect, but right now I am one happy guest at Camp Grado.

Enjoy!
Time to get more tents then 👍

Oct 3, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #56,830 of 65,629
I certainly shall - I specifically recall you saying something to that effect in an earlier post, and I am certainly a fan of using equipment as designed by the manufacturer (I am a tweaker, yes, but not so much a modifier). Changing pads on the Grados is the easiest thing in the worl, and I will certainly give the Al’s another shot, but I preferred the G, for the moment, first because: 1. I am used to over ears, not on ears, and the G pads are more in line with the head feel and driver distance I expect, and 2. Coming from other headphones in my experience, the treble response of the RS1e seemed to need to be taken down a notch or three. Plus, I DO enjoy the way they sound with the G pads. But, I think the Sennheiser HD600 are neutral, and you probably find them ‘veiled’, so give me time to work my ears in a bit - there is a BIG difference. Anyway, now that I am slowly immersing myself in “the Grado Sound”, I certainly want to work my way up to the full experience - like I said, I just need to give myself more time to acclimatize - which, since there’s no golf (again😵‍💫) today, probably means later this morning. Or right now, lol!

Query: I know many of you suggested the 325 as the sweet spot, but I wanted wood, which is why I chose the RS1e for my first ride (also, last time I looked - many years ago - the RS1 was the TOTL). But what about the Statement series? Are the GS1000, 2000, 3000 substantially qualitatively better? Or are they just bigger, better finished versions of the RS1? It’s definitely the wood chamber that attracts me intellectually, and while I might grab a 325X for comparison, I’d like some idea of the give and take of the ‘big’ models (which are less the focus on this thread than I would have expected, but for a mention or a thumbs up here and there). I know me, and I’m thinking that the GS1000 (e or X?) is where I’m heading. The RS1e aren’t necessarily going to get me to sell my LCD-X (yet - there is something very attractive about the quirky little things), but which model will?????

😈😈😈

Thanks!
To address that last mention of the Statement series. For what it is worth I feel that the new GS1000x blasts any former GS1000 series right out of the water, no comparison. I had the GS1000x at home for a few days and it was very impressive. There should be more info coming from the early purchasers I would think. Also in my opinion the PS2000e was and is the best sounding Grado IMHO and that includes the Joseph Grado Signature HP2 I own. I have had my PS2000e since they were first introduced. I do not think there are currently any new PS models being planned.

Attachments

• GRADO PS2000E.jpg
    GRADO PS2000E.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 0
  • GRADO HP2.jpg
    GRADO HP2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #56,831 of 65,629
Howdy,

I wanted to let all fans know that I just posted FOR SALE a really fine 👀 looking VINTAGE RS1 with BUTTONS in the Classified in Full Size Headphones section, link below.

Plenty of photos there.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/vintage-grado-button-rs1.33807/

Thanks for looking…
Several inquires, already, at least one serious. This is still one of the best (top five) sounding Grados. I am selling this for a friend, I would never sell mine.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #56,832 of 65,629
@ESL-1 and others who have heard the GS1000X, am I better off supplementing my RS1x with the PS500e, or selling my RS1x and getting a GS1000X?

(Probably need to wait on more reviews)

Oct 3, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #56,833 of 65,629
Sharing a couple more RS1x impressions (now that I have a replacement pair), just because my experience seems to be a bit different to others that I’ve seen - mainly that these are a rich pair of headphones. It’s why I struggled with them initially, finding them somewhat congested compared to other Grados. But as the brain burn-in happens that’s changing to an appreciation of what, to me, is a sound with body and weight. I don’t find them particularly airy, but the upside is that I’m not sure I’ve heard snares this satisfying. Treble really is handled nicely, more relaxed than the RS2x and PS500e, but detailed and guitars still have bite. One of the main defining traits of this pair is that they can thicken sounds, but without bloat or sluggishness.

Keepers, in the end.

I’d love to find some nicer gear to pair them up with, currently trying to navigate the UK’s limited number of options to experience.

Oct 3, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #56,834 of 65,629
Sharing a couple more RS1x impressions (now that I have a replacement pair), just because my experience seems to be a bit different to others that I’ve seen - mainly that these are a rich pair of headphones. It’s why I struggled with them initially, finding them somewhat congested compared to other Grados. But as the brain burn-in happens that’s changing to an appreciation of what, to me, is a sound with body and weight. I don’t find them particularly airy, but the upside is that I’m not sure I’ve heard snares this satisfying. Treble really is handled nicely, more relaxed than the RS2x and PS500e, but detailed and guitars still have bite. One of the main defining traits of this pair is that they can thicken sounds, but without bloat or sluggishness.

Keepers, in the end.

I’d love to find some nicer gear to pair them up with, currently trying to navigate the UK’s limited number of options to experience.
Of the Grados that I own, the RS-1x needed the most time ( > 150 hours ) for break-in. The 50mm driver? 🤷🏻‍♂️ The three-wood build? 🤷🏻‍♂️ The interaction of both? 🤷🏻‍♂️ You are early in.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #56,835 of 65,629

Keepers, in the end.

I think your impressions are spot on. I also find RS1x are a little warmer and less sparkly than some other models. I like this aspect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back