Grado Fan Club!
Oct 2, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #56,806 of 65,636
That is intriguing. I certainly understand your thinking - and we shall see. I am an inveterate tweaker, so I’m always looking for that next improvement as my taste evolves, and that often means going back to something I had previously rejected for one reason or another. The L pads were not trashed; they are tucked safely away for when that day comes…

I also would recommend that you give the L pads another chance at a later time.
They are designed for the L pads and for my ears they sound fantastic with L pads but it could be different for you of course.
I did try the original Grado G pads but for my ears the RS1e does lose it's magic with G pads.
As always YMMV.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #56,807 of 65,636
They are designed for the L pads and for my ears they sound fantastic with L pads but it could be different for you of course.
I did try the original Grado G pads but for my ears the RS1e does loose it's magic with G pads.
As always YMMV.
I certainly shall - I specifically recall you saying something to that effect in an earlier post, and I am certainly a fan of using equipment as designed by the manufacturer (I am a tweaker, yes, but not so much a modifier). Changing pads on the Grados is the easiest thing in the worl, and I will certainly give the Al’s another shot, but I preferred the G, for the moment, first because: 1. I am used to over ears, not on ears, and the G pads are more in line with the head feel and driver distance I expect, and 2. Coming from other headphones in my experience, the treble response of the RS1e seemed to need to be taken down a notch or three. Plus, I DO enjoy the way they sound with the G pads. But, I think the Sennheiser HD600 are neutral, and you probably find them ‘veiled’, so give me time to work my ears in a bit - there is a BIG difference. Anyway, now that I am slowly immersing myself in “the Grado Sound”, I certainly want to work my way up to the full experience - like I said, I just need to give myself more time to acclimatize - which, since there’s no golf (again😵‍💫) today, probably means later this morning. Or right now, lol!

Query: I know many of you suggested the 325 as the sweet spot, but I wanted wood, which is why I chose the RS1e for my first ride (also, last time I looked - many years ago - the RS1 was the TOTL). But what about the Statement series? Are the GS1000, 2000, 3000 substantially qualitatively better? Or are they just bigger, better finished versions of the RS1? It’s definitely the wood chamber that attracts me intellectually, and while I might grab a 325X for comparison, I’d like some idea of the give and take of the ‘big’ models (which are less the focus on this thread than I would have expected, but for a mention or a thumbs up here and there). I know me, and I’m thinking that the GS1000 (e or X?) is where I’m heading. The RS1e aren’t necessarily going to get me to sell my LCD-X (yet - there is something very attractive about the quirky little things), but which model will?????

😈😈😈

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #56,808 of 65,636
Just taken delivery of the new generation of grado 80x's ! These come with angled drivers 👍
20221002_151331.jpg

Meet the Quasigrados

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #56,809 of 65,636
I did try the original Grado G pads but for my ears the RS1e does lose it's magic with G pads.
As always YMMV.
Did it. I see what you are getting at, but I still disagree with your conclusion. Time, as a long time audiophile and as someone who has played acoustic and electric guitar in bands for 35 years, that is just NOT what live music sounds like, except - maybe - if you are the drummer. I don’t hear that much treble energy standing on stage, right in front of the drum kit. I’m not saying your wrong, but either I hear it differently than you do, or my goals are different. Either way, I am sticking with the Vever G pads for now. Grafobthemselves puts them on the Statement Series with the 50 mm driver, so it’s not totally contrary to canon, and I am very, very happy with the RS1e with the Vever G Cush-style pad. Of course, I am wondering about the more upscale Dekoni pad alternatives, especially the solid leather….

The other two Grado models that intrigue me most right now are the quite affordable Hemp, and the also still widely available GS2000e. Time for some more research, although owners’ considered opinions always welcome and encouraged.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #56,811 of 65,636
Did it. I see what you are getting at, but I still disagree with your conclusion. Time, as a long time audiophile and as someone who has played acoustic and electric guitar in bands for 35 years, that is just NOT what live music sounds like, except - maybe - if you are the drummer. I don’t hear that much treble energy standing on stage, right in front of the drum kit. I’m not saying your wrong, but either I hear it differently than you do, or my goals are different. Either way, I am sticking with the Vever G pads for now. Grafobthemselves puts them on the Statement Series with the 50 mm driver, so it’s not totally contrary to canon, and I am very, very happy with the RS1e with the Vever G Cush-style pad. Of course, I am wondering about the more upscale Dekoni pad alternatives, especially the solid leather….

The other two Grado models that intrigue me most right now are the quite affordable Hemp, and the also still widely available GS2000e. Time for some more research, although owners’ considered opinions always welcome and encouraged.

Thanks!

This is very interesting.
Thanks for your impressions from the point of view of someone who played in a band.
Probably you are right that live music sounds a bit different.
Maybe it sounds also a bit different depending on if you play in the band or if you are the audience.
It could be both, that we hear it differently and that we have slightly different goals.
But again, it is only important that we both (all) are happy with the way we hear or with what we hear.
There is no wrong or right as long as one likes it.

Really interesting that you are intrigued by the GS2000e.
I am intrigued by exactly this model some time already.
If you ever have the chance to listen to a GS2000e, I would be happy to know your impressions about its sound.

Oct 3, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #56,812 of 65,636
Oct 3, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #56,813 of 65,636
Thanks for your impressions from the point of view of someone who played in a band.
Maybe it sounds also a bit different depending on if you play in the band or if you are the audience.
It could be both, that we hear it differently and that we have slightly different goals.
But again, it is only important that we both (all) are happy with the way we hear or with what we hear.

If you ever have the chance to listen to a GS2000e, I would be happy to know your impressions about its sound.
What about if you were playing in the middle of the audience ?

Oct 3, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #56,815 of 65,636
Timbre on the GS3000x is great, song I’ve listened to easily over 100 times, heard a clarinet in the mix that I’ve never pinpointed before, on these it was so easily identified and obvious.

It’s also not the best with overly sparse tracks, the airy nature of them can make it a sound a little hollow (although the next point has somewhat addressed that).

Unfortunately it seems this pair has somewhat mismatched drivers, I think the left is approx. 3db lower than the right (played a mono track and used the channel mix on the TA-ZH1ES to get it sound the same when flipping them around). Have emailed Grado as don’t particularly want to keep swapping them over with the distributor, if they can swap the drivers I’ll be happy. Doesn’t appear QC is great with these!

Edit: Heard back, they recommend I go back through the distributor who I guess will just want to swap them again - will wait to see what they say tomorrow. Maybe I live with it, they’re fine after adjusting the LR balance on my TA-ZH1ES. I don’t plan on ever selling them so that isn’t a concern.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #56,816 of 65,636
IMG_20221003_104655.jpg

I don't know if stuff from Alessandro has its place here, but I'm in love with a simple MS1. Very good couple with Questyle M15.

Oct 3, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #56,817 of 65,636
I don't understand what you want to tell.
I think it doesn't matter if the band plays in front of the audience or in the middle of the audience.
In both cases I think the music would sound slightly different for a band member compared to the audience.
I think he was joking.

No, but I shall.

You are absolutely correct - we all hear differently and we all have different goals in hifi. That is why I always say, and you apparently agree, the ONLY person your system needs to make happy is YOU. All this sharing is interesting and (mostly) fun, but I will never understand the people who attempt yo force their opinions on others or get all flustered and angry about what amp pairs best with what headphone or what cables someone else enjoys - it’s just a hobby, and it doesn’t matter if we agree, it only matters that your gear gives YOU pleasure - whether your goal is perfect sound, euphonium, or pride of ownership is entirely up to you as an individual. Do for example, you like the L pad on the RS1e, I like the G. Headphones don’t do anything by themselves. No doubt we have different ancillary equipment, different musical tastes, different life experience, different ears, different goals, etc., etc. if you’re happy with yours and I’m happy with mine, we can both win. Neither needs to be ‘right’. The only time you know the sound is inarguably ‘right’ is when you’re sitting in the third row at Carnegie Hall - although, even then, someone is going to say they prefer the 12th row, and someone else is going to say you really have to be on the stage. And they’ll get all hot and bothered that the other guys aren’t having fun right. So it goes….

Of course I will post impressions of the GS2000e, if that day ever comes.

Enjoy!

Oct 3, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #56,819 of 65,636
@Strat1117
I was ( English sense of humour)
I got it. I just believe that @InLoveWithHeadphones may not be a native English speaker (not certain - while his English is quite good, it’s just a feeling I get from certain grammatical/syntax choices, e.g., using “tell” instead of “say”), so your dry English wit may have been lost in translation. No worries, either way. 😉

Back on topic:
I find myself oddly enamored of these RS1e headphones (with aftermarket Vever jumbo pads). The Audeze are clearly ‘better’ in every way, the DCA’s are more high tech, and the Sennheisers are certainly a slicker, more professional finished product and just as good, although quite different, sounding. But these silly wooden Grados appeal to me emotionally in a different way than any of the others. And it’s the whole package, not just the sound. Weird. Anyway, they’ve now got place of pride in the main system. Much to my own surprise and total amazement. But the smile on my face says all I need to know. We’ll eventually see if it’s just a honeymoon effect, but right now I am one happy guest at Camp Grado.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #56,820 of 65,636
I got it. I just believe that @InLoveWithHeadphones may not be a native English speaker (not certain - while his English is quite good, it’s just a feeling I get from certain grammatical/syntax choices, e.g., using “tell” instead of “say”), so your dry English wit may have been lost in translation. No worries, either way. 😉

Back on topic:
I find myself oddly enamored of these RS1e headphones (with aftermarket Vever jumbo pads). The Audeze are clearly ‘better’ in every way, the DCA’s are more high tech, and the Sennheisers are certainly a slicker, more professional finished product and just as good, although quite different, sounding. But these silly wooden Grados appeal to me emotionally in a different way than any of the others. And it’s the whole package, not just the sound. Weird. Anyway, they’ve now got place of pride in the main system. Much to my own surprise and total amazement. But the smile on my face says all I need to know. We’ll eventually see if it’s just a honeymoon effect, but right now I am one happy guest at Camp Grado.

Enjoy!
Lots of campers, get out the marshmallows.

Enjoy the new journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back