Grado Fan Club!
Aug 12, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #55,636 of 65,854
Aug 12, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #55,639 of 65,854
Following on from the first post on the 500e mod, sealed in the female 3.5's with epoxy glue on the threads and inserted into the holes and then added some around the backs of the jack's inside the cups, had to put the cup mesh in the ultra sonic tank at work to get rid of the old glue, could have left it and just added extra over it but I'm too much of a perfectionist to do a half arsed job. Dremeled the cup holes on the metal cups an extra 1mm so the jack's would go through with a slight gap, both sets of mesh cleaned up nicely and I put them both back in the cups and added some hot glue around the edges to secure in place. There is more of a gap on the woods as opposed to the plastic driver cups on the 325x so added a ring of hot glue about 1cm in at the top of the metal cups and pushed in the woods to the bottom making sure the 3.5mm holes are central, then I added a slight ring of glue between the metal cup edge and the wood and smoothed around to create a leak proof filetted edge, you just want the sound coming out of the back and front, wether this would affect the sound if you didn't do it I'm not sure but there was one originally so let's keep it as grado do. Finally I wiped over the metal cups with ipa to clean off any stray glue and grime, plugged in a bare jack and made sure I'm still getting the correct ohm reading. Job done 👍and while I wait for the glue to fully cure I knocked up a Mogami quad cable 4.4mm to 2x 3.5mm, nice cable to work with, good quality copper and sheilded braid and soft and flexible and only 4.8mm in diameter, added some paracord from the Y split to the 3.5's to give it a professional look. May build fully up later or wait for the shipibo gimbals and locks and pads due anytime. Here's the pics of the final product!
Need another project now 😁
20220812_130340.jpg20220812_125901.jpg20220812_125850.jpg
What did you use to make the wood look so dark and nice??

Aug 13, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #55,641 of 65,854
What did you use to make the wood look so dark and nice??
After scraping off the old glue ( think it had some sort of latex in it ) I'd left the odd mark or two on the wood so used a bit of mahogany grain guard mixed with a bit of tung oil and wiped over the woods, left it for a few hours and then just wiped over with a soft cotton cloth. You don't see the woods once the pads are on but it's just a nice finishing touch I guess. Once I'd worked out how to get the cups open as the glue isn't just a standard hot glue type and they don't just slide apart like the 325x's as the woods go all the way down inside the metal cup to the mesh, which makes sense as your creating a wood chamber for the sound. The end of the woods had become stuck to the mesh grills ( or they had glued the grills to the end of the wood ) so you have to warm the mesh and slightly push on them and then it comes out in one piece, after that it's plain sailing, quite an enjoyable mod with excellent results.

Aug 13, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #55,642 of 65,854
Now what's really grabbing my attention at the moment is the custom build of grado / grado style headphones, as we all know the custom parts are a bit thin on the ground in general, shipibo aren't doing the woods anymore and other sellers do the woods but not gimbals which means I'd have to buy from various places and being in the good old UK shipping and possible import duty is crazy and sometimes doubles the cost of build. Had a browse and found some of these, some are full builds Inc drivers some just shells. I would be using only grado drivers, anything from 60's up to 225's ( e / i / x ) and just using the woods and bands and gimbals that are grado style to keep in with the official look and using grado drivers I'm still buying grado so there's no need to revoke my membership to the club, here's a few pics of the parts I'd be using maybe a few from different sets to create a custom pair. Anyone had a go at this ? worked out I could make up a set of say 80's in wood with metal gimbals etc for around £130 - 160 all in. What's your thoughts ?
Screenshot_20220813-091638_AliExpress.jpgScreenshot_20220813-091650_AliExpress.jpgScreenshot_20220813-091758_AliExpress.jpgScreenshot_20220813-091803_AliExpress.jpgScreenshot_20220813-091814_AliExpress.jpg
Those Rosewood's look stunning imo

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #55,643 of 65,854
Now what's really grabbing my attention at the moment is the custom build of grado / grado style headphones, as we all know the custom parts are a bit thin on the ground in general, shipibo aren't doing the woods anymore and other sellers do the woods but not gimbals which means I'd have to buy from various places and being in the good old UK shipping and possible import duty is crazy and sometimes doubles the cost of build. Had a browse and found some of these, some are full builds Inc drivers some just shells. I would be using only grado drivers, anything from 60's up to 225's ( e / i / x ) and just using the woods and bands and gimbals that are grado style to keep in with the official look and using grado drivers I'm still buying grado so there's no need to revoke my membership to the club, here's a few pics of the parts I'd be using maybe a few from different sets to create a custom pair. Anyone had a go at this ? worked out I could make up a set of say 80's in wood with metal gimbals etc for around £130 - 160 all in. What's your thoughts ?
Screenshot_20220813-091638_AliExpress.jpgScreenshot_20220813-091650_AliExpress.jpgScreenshot_20220813-091758_AliExpress.jpgScreenshot_20220813-091803_AliExpress.jpgScreenshot_20220813-091814_AliExpress.jpg
Those Rosewood's look stunning imo
Maybe you have come across these already but these seem to do some nice cups , Though I have never actually tried them as a supplier , did mail them once though to ask a few questions a d seemed quite helpful.
https://www.rholupat.com/grado-parts

Aug 13, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #55,644 of 65,854
Agree with you the Rose woods look stunning.
I just received a pair of SR125i very cheap.
Came with the 1/4 inch tow cable.
I have been looking to use some of SKY Audio cables as there very nice and flexible.
The pricing is very good as well.
Been using one of his cables on my HD800S for a few years and very happy with it.

For my next build I would like to try some of those 3d printed cups that were around.
I think you can still download the plans??

Aug 13, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #55,645 of 65,854
Aug 13, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #55,647 of 65,854

Users who are viewing this thread

Back