Grado Fan Club!
Mar 29, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #51,826 of 65,858
I would like to try the Flats, since people really seem to like them!
The biggest change from bowl pad are more intimate (forward) midrange, bigger bass punch, less airy treble, and overall more aggressive signature (in term of impact/bite).

Personally Hemp sound best with Flat, and I don't like it with bowl pad.

However, RS1x sound best with bowl pad, and less favourable for flat pad (it still sound ok, but not as balance as bowl pad). Flat pad also "kill" the soundstage in RS1x that should be the one of the main point of acquiring RS1x.

Mar 29, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #51,827 of 65,858
The biggest change from bowl pad are more intimate (forward) midrange, bigger bass punch, less airy treble, and overall more aggressive signature (in term of impact/bite).

Personally Hemp sound best with Flat, and I don't like it with bowl pad.

However, RS1x sound best with bowl pad, and less favourable for flat pad (it still sound ok, but not as balance as bowl pad). Flat pad also "kill" the soundstage in RS1x that should be the one of the main point of acquiring RS1x.
For the benefit of us noobs, what is the bowl pad, vs G, L, etc?

Mar 29, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #51,828 of 65,858
"Bowl" pads are the colloquial term for what Grado calls the G cushions. They are the big oval cup shaped pads that come on the GS and PS line.

L pads are the circular on ear style that are standard pad for most of the mid sized models like the RS line, the GH line, etc.

F pads are the flatter on ear style that come standard with the Hemp, 325x. They are the same as the "flat" pads that TTVJ sells.

S pads are the really flat circular on ear pads that came standard on the SR60e, SR80e, SR125e, and GH3. Do any of the new X versions retain these pads?

For the benefit of us noobs, what is the bowl pad, vs G, L, etc?

Mar 29, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #51,829 of 65,858
Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #51,830 of 65,858
What are now the L pads - we used to call those "bowl pads", before the huge G pads were introduced with the GS and PS series.

Yes, I definitely like the full mids, increased bass, tamed treble, and more intimate / small stage presentation that comes with flat pads. That's exactly what they do to the sound. This yields (for me) the "classic" hard driving Grado sound, doing what it does best. The Grado soundstage in current models with G pads is not something that appeals to me, honestly. Everything else about the sound is sacrificed to facilitate a larger soundstage. And other headphone designs (Sennheiser, Sony) are more naturally tuned for a large soundstage anyways, imo.

These was also a modified Sennheiser 414 pad that we called "vwap" pads because vwap was the name of the head-fi user who started that trend, back in the early 2000s. I think some people still use the 414 pads in this fashion. Vwap's were dyed dark gray and very nicely cut. They look a lot like flat pads, but have a sound between flat pads and L pads. They're great for Grado models that just have too much bass response (or too loose & boomy) to work well with flats. I remember specifically that the original SR225 fell apart a bit with flats, but vwaps were perfect.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #51,831 of 65,858
"Bowl" pads are the colloquial term for what Grado calls the G cushions. They are the big oval cup shaped pads that come on the GS and PS line.

L pads are the circular on ear style that are standard pad for most of the mid sized models like the RS line, the GH line, etc.

F pads are the flatter on ear style that come standard with the Hemp, 325x. They are the same as the "flat" pads that TTVJ sells.

S pads are the really flat circular on ear pads that came standard on the SR60e, SR80e, SR125e, and GH3. Do any of the new X versions retain these pads?
Excellent summary for us Grado noobs!!!

Quick question:
You wrote that F pads "are the same as the "flat" pads that TTVJ sells". TTVJ have 2 versions: Flat Pads for $25 and Deluxe Flat Pads for $50. Grado F pads are $32.50.
Are the TTVJ pads (especially the Deluxe version) better than the Grado stock F pads?
Also, Grado ships for free, so Grado's pads and the cheaper TTVJ standard Flat Pads are equal in cost (shipped). Which one would be better?

Mar 29, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #51,832 of 65,858
I haven't really compared them closely for their sonic nuances yet, but I have brand new sets of TTVJ standard Flat and Deluxe Flat pads. They're visually identical, just like the flat pads I've always known and loved. The Deluxe pad's foam is SLIGHTLY denser and more resilient, which should impart some slight sonic differences. I have them on different headphones now but they both sound mostly like the old flat pads I know and love. Much closer to each other than to any other pads. Definitely my favorite pads for most Grados. The PS500e with Deluxe flats is my favorite Grado in-house right now :)

Every Grado is like a different headphone with flats vs. any other pad. It's crazy.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #51,833 of 65,858
Sorry for the somewhat of a Grado noob question...
Which pads are the Flats? I bought a pair of GH2 recently, and they came with the stock pads, I believe:

1648572670702.png

I would like to try the Flats, since people really seem to like them!

So I guess you're only comparing the Beautiful Audio hybrids to the stock pads? (how are the stock pads called, BTW?)

Do you mind sharing how much are you going to list the IEMs for?
The stock pads on the GH2 are L pads.

I will send you price info on my Grado GR10e via PM.

Mar 29, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #51,834 of 65,858
These was also a modified Sennheiser 414 pad that we called "vwap" pads because vwap was the name of the head-fi user who started that trend, back in the early 2000s. I think some people still use the 414 pads in this fashion. Vwap's were dyed dark gray and very nicely cut. They look a lot like flat pads, but have a sound between flat pads and L pads. They're great for Grado models that just have too much bass response (or too loose & boomy) to work well with flats. I remember specifically that the original SR225 fell apart a bit with flats, but vwaps were perfect.
I have and use the yellow sennheiser 414 pads. Nice and cheap. I use them normal and also with the second hole cut and fit in reverse. They're ok . I mainly use on my sr60. But will fit them onto my sr125e soon .

Mar 29, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #51,835 of 65,858
Sr60 with senn 414 pads / cush. Fitted normal not cut or reversed .

Attachments

• 20220319_220317.jpg
    20220319_220317.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Mar 29, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #51,836 of 65,858
Excellent summary for us Grado noobs!!!

Quick question:
You wrote that F pads "are the same as the "flat" pads that TTVJ sells". TTVJ have 2 versions: Flat Pads for $25 and Deluxe Flat Pads for $50. Grado F pads are $32.50.
Are the TTVJ pads (especially the Deluxe version) better than the Grado stock F pads?
Also, Grado ships for free, so Grado's pads and the cheaper TTVJ standard Flat Pads are equal in cost (shipped). Which one would be better?
I dont think there is any meaningful difference. I'll bet a pallet of F pads that they all come off the same conveyer belt and then are randomly distributed into different boxes 😄

Mar 29, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #51,837 of 65,858
I haven't really compared them closely for their sonic nuances yet, but I have brand new sets of TTVJ standard Flat and Deluxe Flat pads. They're visually identical, just like the flat pads I've always known and loved. The Deluxe pad's foam is SLIGHTLY denser and more resilient, which should impart some slight sonic differences. I have them on different headphones now but they both sound mostly like the old flat pads I know and love. Much closer to each other than to any other pads. Definitely my favorite pads for most Grados. The PS500e with Deluxe flats is my favorite Grado in-house right now :)

Every Grado is like a different headphone with flats vs. any other pad. It's crazy.
The ‘flats’ (F-cushions) make the RS1x remarkable. Those should be the standard pad for the RS1x…. ‘to hell with the L?’…🤔

Mar 30, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #51,838 of 65,858
Hi Guys,

I got my new RS1e.
I found many scratches/imperfected parts as the attached pics.
  • scratches on yoke and metal mesh
  • fracture on wood
  • some stain on leather
  • pen marker on the york
I have asked Grado about these issues have been solves on RS1X or X series.
So, they replied me "we cannot guarantee that any of our products will meet your high expectations".
Seriously?????

Has anyone else experience the scratches/defects on the new X series?

Screen Shot 2565-03-30 at 13.57.26.png

Attachments

• Grado3.JPG
    Grado3.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Grado2.JPG
    Grado2.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Grado5.JPG
    Grado5.JPG
    842.3 KB · Views: 0
Mar 30, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #51,839 of 65,858
Hi Guys,

I got my new RS1e.
  • fracture on wood
  • some stain on leather
  • pen marker on the york
So, they replied me "we cannot guarantee that any of our products will meet your high expectations".
Seriously?????

Hard to believe that is new with that much damage. I may have been lucky but I've bought quite a few Grados and none of them had cracks or scratches new. I don't think it is a high expectation to expect a brand new pair of headphones not to be cracked or scratched up. Sorry to hear this happened, can you return it for another set? Also was it possibly open box or a demo unit?

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #51,840 of 65,858
Hi Guys,

I got my new RS1e.
  • fracture on wood
  • some stain on leather
  • pen marker on the york
Seriously?????

Screen Shot 2565-03-30 at 13.57.26.png
I went through three pairs of RS1x's with visual defects before settling on a pair. I bought a pair of RS2e's in 2015 and the leather headband had a scratch on the top. I will say that all of my Grados have been very durable over the years, but the QC is a little annoying...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back