Grado Fan Club!
Mar 24, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #51,721 of 66,260
I've tried these pads with both Grados: reversed G's, stock Gs, Todd's Flats, Todd's Deluxe Flats. Reversed G pads still my favorite.
Being a relative Grado noob... what is reversed G pads?! Do you place the G pads differently on the cups?
Can you show G pads vs. reversed G pads in a photo for reference?

Mar 24, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #51,722 of 66,260
Being a relative Grado noob... what is reversed G pads?! Do you place the G pads differently on the cups?
Can you show G pads vs. reversed G pads in a photo for reference?
The driver enclosure's "lip" can also be used to catch the reversed G pads. The awkwardness is that the top of the reversed pad pushes against the headband adjustment pieces, and the "bowl" of the large G pad also now covers over the gimbal. But effectively these work like slightly deeper flat (F) pads. The effect of increasingly flat pads is to condense soundstage (more intimate staging), but in exchange you get boosted bass response and reduced treble response (especially peaks). The midrange comes out a lot more, too (i.e. response slopes more downwards with rising frequency). I feel flat pads can go too far - reversed G pads have this same kind of sound but dialed back a notch. To be quite honest, the bass response of PS1000 is stilly "crazy" boosted with reverse G's. It's fun though, I like it :)

For me, these Grados sound too pushed back, spacious and diffuse with the stock G pads. This was not the fun "in your face" Grado sound I remembered with flat pads. Grados are never going to be a Stax or Sennheiser to me, so I much prefer the alternate pads!

Reverse pads on PS1000 with Shipibo headband pieces:
GdMC4A0.jpg

One reverse and one stock G pad on GS3000e, stock headband:
5r6hKRv.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #51,723 of 66,260
Mar 24, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #51,724 of 66,260
Lol yeah that would be a little bit of a concern to prevent people from judging you. I work with a guy that grew up when weed was demonized in the media (or maybe by his parents) and he would go wild if he saw something like that.
The company I work for is a Christian based non-profit fostercare/adoption agency. So wearing anything like the Hemps....yea, somebody would say something to me.

Mar 24, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #51,727 of 66,260
I have no problem with hemp on any religious or moral basis, I just don't like the look of the processed "wood" - doesn't hold a candle to mahogany, cocobolo or fine metal finishes, imo.

I had been wanting the RS2e for quite some time. I hadn't been keeping up on audio gear for the past few months, and recently realized they released the RS2x. But... I really didn't care for the looks. I much prefer the look of the RS2e tan leather headband and mahogany wood cups. I don't care for the swirly look of the compressed hemp wood. I've also read that some people have issues with the glue separating on the hemp. In addition, I really dislike the plastic techflex covering on the wire. All of these combined made me a bit upset with myself for waiting to get an RS2e.

I had seen that they had the RS2e listed on the clearance section of their site, but it was out of stock. I had started to periodically check that page just to see what would pop up, and about a week ago the RS2e showed in stock. I haven't ever spent nearly this much on a headphone, so I was quite hesitant to click the buy button. After I did, the site showed out of stock again, so I think I got the last one. The RS2e came yesterday, and so far I'm quite happy with them. My only other Grado comparison is the SR60i, and I think they're better in just about every way. I still much prefer the cable on the SR60i; the vacuum cable is unnecessary and terrible, I can only imagine how much worse it'd be with the techflex.

To bring it back, on just looks alone, I vastly prefer the RS2e to the RS2x.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #51,728 of 66,260
I had been wanting the RS2e for quite some time. I hadn't been keeping up on audio gear for the past few months, and recently realized they released the RS2x. But... I really didn't care for the looks. I much prefer the look of the RS2e tan leather headband and mahogany wood cups. I don't care for the swirly look of the compressed hemp wood. I've also read that some people have issues with the glue separating on the hemp. In addition, I really dislike the plastic techflex covering on the wire. All of these combined made me a bit upset with myself for waiting to get and RS2e.

I had seen that they had the RS2e listed on the clearance section of their site, but it was out of stock. I had started to periodically check that page just to see what would pop up, and about a week ago the RS2e showed in stock. I haven't ever spent nearly this much on a headphone, so I was quite hesitant to click the buy button. After I did, the site showed out of stock again, so I think I got the last one. The RS2e came yesterday, and so far I'm quite happy with them. My only other Grado comparison is the SR60i, and I think they're better in just about every way. I still much prefer the cable on the SR60i; the vacuum cable is unnecessary and terrible, I can only imagine how much worse it'd be with the techflex.

Smart move - I really think I should give the RS2e another chance (only had a brief listen once).

I don't like the idea of glued composite wood... heck even MDF would be better.

Mar 24, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #51,729 of 66,260
I had been wanting the RS2e for quite some time. I hadn't been keeping up on audio gear for the past few months, and recently realized they released the RS2x. But... I really didn't care for the looks. I much prefer the look of the RS2e tan leather headband and mahogany wood cups. I don't care for the swirly look of the compressed hemp wood. I've also read that some people have issues with the glue separating on the hemp. In addition, I really dislike the plastic techflex covering on the wire. All of these combined made me a bit upset with myself for waiting to get and RS2e.

I have no problem with hemp on any religious or moral basis, I just don't like the look of the processed "wood" - doesn't hold a candle to mahogany, cocobolo or fine metal finishes, imo.
I will admit upfront that I have not, nor will I ever use cannabis or other drugs for personal reasons; however, what others decide to do is their own personal business, just like my choice to have alcohol socially is mine (both substances have their issues, safe uses).

That being said... I think marketing the Hemp the way they have is polarizing: one group will love it, some will hate it, and a small number won't even think about it.

So if you are going after the niche that waves that flag - good, but also realize you may be turning off others.

Mar 24, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #51,730 of 66,260

I was looking at the RS2 a few weeks ago and had the EXACT same thoughts! The RS2e was such an awesome looking headphone, especially with brown leather headband. Peak Grado woodie aesthetic. The RS2x is such a disappointing drop-off on that front :frowning2:

Mar 24, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #51,731 of 66,260
I was looking at the RS2 a few weeks ago and had the EXACT same thoughts! The RS2e was such an awesome looking headphone, especially with brown leather headband. Peak Grado woodie aesthetic. The RS2x is such a disappointing drop-off on that front :frowning2:
I'd keep an eye on the clearance page, maybe they'll scrounge around and find a few more. I've seen their factory tours, be real easy to lose a few boxes at that place :smile:

Also, I find it annoying that on the headphone itself it's "RS-2x", when everywhere else (and all over their own website) it's RS2x, and every other of their headphones is SR225x, GS1000e, PS500e, etc. Why add the - in there?

Edit: I guess the original RS-1 and RS-2 were stylized like that on the button, but everything since the i series hasn't had the dash. And looking at their site back then, the headphones used the dash but they didn't on the website.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back