Grado Fan Club!
Mar 21, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #51,676 of 65,642
Which mainstream Grado model do they sound closest to? one that can be actually purchased (new or used)?
All of my grad's sound a little different from each other, MY HF3 has a bit more punch than the others, but not quite the space of the others, if that makes any sense.

Mar 21, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #51,677 of 65,642
Which mainstream Grado model do they sound closest to? one that can be actually purchased (new or used)?
For me, with the Grados I own, I'd slot them in between the 325e and Hemp.
Bright sparkly treble: 325e > HF3 > Hemp
Bass: 325e < HF3 < Hemp

Ergonomically, a lot like the Hemp.

Mar 21, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #51,679 of 65,642
I was briefly interested but I thought I'd hold my money for something more reasonably likely to be a winner, like maybe the RS2x.
I'd imagine they are for later Millennials and Gen Z with nostalgia and disposable income, not an audiophile looking for a main headphone :wink:

I think the PS-500 is my favorite bang-for-the-buck Grado.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #51,680 of 65,642
Being very new to the Grado family (my 325x is enroute), and already thinking about my next Grado...
I was thinking GS3000e or RS1x (or RS2x), but being bummed about non-detachable cables - I started to look around for mod options.
While at it, I came across this DIY headphone:
https://earphonediylabs.com/shop/or...0e-statement-open-back-headphone-and-diy-kit/

These guys claim the 50mm drivers are genuine Grado GS3000e drivers, and the Cocobolo cups are same dimensions (and wood) as the original.
So... did anyone try these? Do they sound like the genuine GS3000e?
I did not see any mention on the thread, at least not in the last 6-7 months.

Since I am very seriously considering the GS3000e - that one obviously got me intrigued!
ANY opinion is highly appreciated :)
I tried the mod. And actually, I made myself a pair of these clones. The driver is definitely not genuine but still sounds good. There are different versions claimed to be Grado's genuine drivers, but they are all identical in sound, just some are warmer and muddy. I'd say, if you are really interested in Grado, just go with originals (pre-owned would be a great choice). When you are interested in DIY work and enjoying the fun of making a pair yourself, you can go with DIY parts, or it can just be a waste of money and time.

Mar 22, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #51,681 of 65,642
He has no idea why the SR80X exists, as he can’t find any physical or audible difference.

In the past, the difference between the 60 and the 80 was that the 80 had "de-stressed drivers", which if you dug deep, you get a quote from John Grado in 1996 stating that the de-stressing process involves brushing on a special formula onto the diaphragm, or "doping" the driver. The RS1 had the doping done twice, then had a sticky goo applied to the back of the driver to damp it. This goo damp is still done on today's high-end models.

However, in every factory tour video, the doping isn't shown. It could be that they don't bother with this anymore, at least for their cheap models. But it does support the theory that the same drivers are used for multiple models, even though Grado themselves will never admit it.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #51,682 of 65,642
I'd say, if you are really interested in Grado, just go with originals (pre-owned would be a great choice).
I'd be quite concerned that if purchasing used you could end up with the knock-offs from Earphone DIY Labs. Have you guys figured out a way to avoid being defrauded in the used market? When you get these kits do they come in a Grado branded box?

Mar 22, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #51,683 of 65,642
I'd be quite concerned that if purchasing used you could end up with the knock-offs from Earphone DIY Labs. Have you guys figured out a way to avoid being defrauded in the used market? When you get these kits do they come in a Grado branded box?
There are actually multiple details to help us to distinguish, but as you said, yes we did might end up with knock-offs if the seller wanna fool us even we are careful already sometimes.

I can share some details to help you guys to find the differences (and it would be better to have at least one pair of original Grado to use as a comparison):

1. The most important: there's no box that comes with the knock-offs (but they could offer a box in the future if they want. This might be the easiest part to do).

2. The cables are easy to tell if they come with braided cables. Those are definitely knock-offs.

But if they come with original-looking cables, it can be much harder to tell. One clue is that Grado does have a certain style of soldering their cables onto the drivers. All Grados I have are highly consistent in the way of soldering. Also, sometimes cable cores attaching to the solder point of the knock-offs which you can see through the back grid are in different colors which Grado never used.

One more clue on cables: the original cables are usually glued to the wood cup (or metal cup), and the cable would be twisted if you turn the cup around. But the knock-offs depend on who made them. Some people may not be good at details and would leave the cable unfixed.

3. The color of the wood cups. If you are a professional in wood, you can tell the difference. All the wood cups sold on that website are not the same type of wood as the original models, respectively. In my experience, the GS3000e knock-offs are usually in a lighter color, such as red or yellow. Some of them even have paint or polish on the wood cup. The original GS3000e's are usually in a darker brown color (except for some limited versions).

4. The matte metal cups. Some knock-offs with metal cups would have "PS1000e" on them. But to all my knowledge, there're only PS1000s in matte metal cups.

5. The easiest way, listen and you'll find the sound is definitely different. Some of the drivers they use are highly identical in appearance, such as the "GS3000e" in the link. But the sound is more closely related to SR80e IMO. It's not a sound that a flagship should have. For other "models", it can be very easy to see the difference, for example, "PS1000e". As shown in this post, the unsealed driver is attached to a 3D-printed driver panel and glued on the cup. Also, the metal holder on the cup is rounded without edges.

1647997699957.jpeg

6. Although Grado has many tiny differences in different time on different versions of their headphones, you can always check the pics from other original owners. If you found a never-seen matches of cups, slider, driver types, headband (color, padding, and alignment), then it could possibly be a knock-off. Because Grado fans are passionate about collecting and sharing different versions in their collection. If something rare appears, you can always find a post. Or unfortunately, knock-offs showed up much earlier than we realized.

Finally, good luck for all Grado fans, and you are welcome to ask if you are doubting your Grado is genunie or not.

If you are interested, I'll post some pics of the older versions DIY I made for myself which are left in my home city.

Mar 22, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #51,684 of 65,642
Thanks, that's a very helpful post @ZYReady . I was initially worried about my PS-1000s however I purchased them in mid 2020 and it looks like Earphone DIY Labs didn't offer the metal models until later. They look shockingly close but mine are not the "e" version and they came with a box. I actually built a cable and mailed it to Grado to install. I find the models that use wood too difficult to open myself. It would be great if Grado would offer detachable cables in the future, the cost would be quite minimal.

I wish Earphone DIY Labs did not print on the cups, I feel like that takes them out of enthusiastic DIY territory and into copyright infringement concern.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #51,686 of 65,642
Thanks, that's a very helpful post @ZYReady . I was initially worried about my PS-1000s however I purchased them in mid 2020 and it looks like Earphone DIY Labs didn't offer the metal models until later. They look shockingly close but mine are not the "e" version and they came with a box. I actually built a cable and mailed it to Grado to install. I find the models that use wood too difficult to open myself. It would be great if Grado would offer detachable cables in the future, the cost would be quite minimal.

I wish Earphone DIY Labs did not print on the cups, I feel like that takes them out of enthusiastic DIY territory and into copyright infringement concern.
Yeah, the printing can be an issue. The PS1000e in gloss finish on their website is about 98% close to the originals and it can be very confusing. But I think all PS1000e's are different in drivers no matter what finish they are, and that can be distinguished just by looking.

I talked with the owner of the site once and he said they left some tiny parts different from the original and people can always tell. Such as PS1000e on matte finish instead of PS1000. This might be what they considered themselves as enthusiastic, but the printing can still get them in trouble if Grado cares.

Mar 22, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #51,687 of 65,642
The worst knock-off issue is not the Grado's, but Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser IEMs. The fakes have brand boxes and all accessories. Sometimes you can't tell if they are original no matter how hard you try with your eyes. Probably it's not the place to talk about it here. I'll start a new thread about this issue somewhere else later.

Mar 22, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #51,688 of 65,642
The worst knock-off issue is not the Grado's, but Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser IEMs. The fakes have brand boxes and all accessories. Sometimes you can't tell if they are original no matter how hard you try with your eyes. Probably it's not the place to talk about it here. I'll start a new thread about this issue somewhere else later.
Totally understood. Also, I see you are missing the Pokemon Center edition Grados from your collection :gs1000smile: ...kidding of course :wink:

Mar 22, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #51,689 of 65,642
Totally understood. Also, I see you are missing the Pokemon Center edition Grados from your collection :gs1000smile: ...kidding of course :wink:
Actually, I didn't have them! I'm very sad that I didn't get them at once when they came out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back