Grado Fan Club!
Jan 3, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #50,326 of 65,587
So I’ve got a bone to pick with my Grado Hemp.

I’ve posted here many times how much I love the Hemp, in terms of both sound and aesthetics, but I’ve noticed that something seems to be going on with the wood. It’s becoming white, as though it’s drying out. Is this a problem inherent to the hemp wood? Because These are less than a year old, and take a look at this photo:

A99E9F5C-2640-4E8A-B5DD-5EFD4345E235.jpeg

That shouldn’t be happening, right? Because I take immense care of these headphones. I’ve never even taken them outside, they’ve never been subjected to any weather conditions, and they simply sit on a hook attached the shelf in my office room. And I only bought them 8 or 9 months ago.

Given that I spent I believe $600 CAD on these, I’m extremely disappointed. My SR60 have held up for 20 years, but not even a year in and these far more expensive headphones already aren’t looking so great.
It is THC! lick it off! :wink:

Jan 3, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #50,327 of 65,587
Got the Little Dot 1+ (6J1P-EV + Burson V6 Classic opamp) out this evening to pair with the Grados - what lovely grip, dynamics and warmth! Suits them both really well.
I also have a LD 1+ and was wondering which opamp to try. Did you prefer Classic over Vivid when listening to Grados?

Jan 3, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #50,328 of 65,587
I also have a LD 1+ and was wondering which opamp to try. Did you prefer Classic over Vivid when listening to Grados?

Oops! In my previous post I meant to say the V6 Vivid. I have both the Classic and the Vivid but prefer the Vivid for its wider soundstage and less forward midrange on the already forward Grado sound. YMMV as with all things.

Jan 3, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #50,329 of 65,587
A post (#50,170) by @ESL-1 really piqued my curiosity. So…: 44350151-CF37-42E0-B812-B3D3E5563D0D.jpegThe match of the Grado RS-1x (G-cushion) and the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite II (with external p/s/u) is divine. Acoustic bass: full & sinewy ☑️; female / male vocals: spot on ☑️; brass: biting with air ☑️; violins: resinous not steely ☑️; percussion: impact without ‘etch’ ☑️; ambience / soundstage: extended, resonant, wide ☑️. I am looking forward to how the GS3000e and PS2000e (and others in the ‘stable’) fare…; I am a Happy Gilmore (owner)…😄

I am so happy to hear how much you are enjoying the combo. It does a superb job with the GS3000e. I will have to try my PS2000e which I often play on my TEAC HA-501. I would think the PS2000e will also mate up well.

Right now I am listening to a Yamaha Planar headphone from the late 70's with the Gilmore, the Sony is sounding better than it has any right to.....

Fun

Any idea how the Gilmore Mkii might pair with the 325x/e?

Jan 3, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #50,330 of 65,587
Just updating my thoughts as I spend more time with the SR80x (G pads) and the SR325x (L pads) via Little Dot 1+. It's quite clear, regardless of source, that the SR325x is the much more capable driver and/or tuning. The SR80x presents with a wide stage but a fairly flat image upon that stage that struggles to cope with busy passages or multiple instruments, where a coherent image starts to break down into a bit of a mess. I love it for its slightly thinner and non-fatiguing signature (and better comfort for me), but the SR325x is just leagues ahead with a richer tonal palatte, greater dynamics, wider stage, better instrument separation and more depth to imaging.

The SR80x is great for the money, especially for solo performances / less complex music, but if you're considering the SR325x, its worth saving for it. It's possibly a less approachable sound signature on neutral sources but play with your chain and the pads your using and you'll find a sweet spot.

Going to enjoy these now and I look forward to what Grado does next!

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #50,331 of 65,587
The Gilmore Lite also does well with the SR325x but I will give them some head time later and see if I can give more info. I have lately been doing a lot of listening with the RS2x and RS1x although I was giving the 325i some break in time on some of my other amps.

Knock on my door tomorrow to make sure I do that. I have also been testing a prototype of an electrostatic tube amp that will be introduced at the NYC CanJam, Eksonics, check them out, excellent performer

Attachments

• Kerry.jpg
    Kerry.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #50,332 of 65,587
I do not own any “325” models. I will say that the Gilmore Lite II is hugely enjoyable / highly musical with a wide variety of h/p: from Audeze LCD-X (20 ohms) to Beyerdynamic DT-880 (600 ohms). With the latter, the volume knob is at “2 o’clock”.

Jan 3, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #50,333 of 65,587
The Gilmore Lite also does well with the SR325x but I will give them some head time later and see if I can give more info. I have lately been doing a lot of listening with the RS2x and RS1x although I was giving the 325i some break in time on some of my other amps.

Knock on my door tomorrow to make sure I do that. I have also been testing a prototype of an electrostatic tube amp that will be introduced at the NYC CanJam, Eksonics, check them out, excellent performer

Thanks! Any and all insight is appreciated.

Woah, that looks cool!

Jan 3, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #50,334 of 65,587
Well, I have been listening to my SR325x with HeadAmp Gilmore Lite mk2 since you asked.

As I expected the amp definitely did an excellent job in conjunction with the 325x. I have over 100 hours break in on the phones. With the amp detailing the bass on the phone (which I felt a bit bloated out of the box) and sounded more natural throughout. I would not expect anyone being disappointed in the combo, or either piece, excellent value on both.

As mentioned earlier, the amp / power
supply matches well with quite a number of my other phones.

Enjoy

Attachments

• 9B193568-5275-47C9-93B6-D7600092E49B.jpeg
    9B193568-5275-47C9-93B6-D7600092E49B.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 4, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #50,337 of 65,587
~ Everything that I said in post #50,317 about the duet of RS-1x / Gilmore Lite II applies to the x degree with the PS2000e / Gilmore Lite II duet. Even with their price disparity.
~ In short, the Gilmore Lite II is a wonderful amplifier in itself and which seems almost to have been designed for Grado headphones. Highly recommended !
5E2AE998-4103-45C9-93AE-59724AF0ADB6.jpeg

Jan 4, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #50,338 of 65,587
Well, I have been listening to my SR325x with HeadAmp Gilmore Lite mk2 since you asked.

As I expected the amp definitely did an excellent job in conjunction with the 325x. I have over 100 hours break in on the phones. With the amp detailing the bass on the phone (which I felt a bit bloated out of the box) and sounded more natural throughout. I would not expect anyone being disappointed in the combo, or either piece, excellent value on both.

Enjoy

~ Everything that I said in post #50,317 about the duet of RS-1x / Gilmore Lite II applies to the x degree with the PS2000e / Gilmore Lite II duet. Even with their price disparity.
~ In short, the Gilmore Lite II is a wonderful amplifier in itself and which seems almost to have been designed for Grado headphones. Highly recommended !

Thankyou both for your feedback on this. I better start saving!

Jan 4, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #50,340 of 65,587

Enjoy

Just a final question. How are the noise levels with the Gilmore and the 325x?

How do you like your Valhalla with Grado?

I like it, it's clear, transparent and with a great stage. However into 32ohms I just think it lacks the power and tactility I'm after. Its rated at about 130mW into 32ohms.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back