Grado Fan Club!
Jan 4, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #50,341 of 65,715
I also have a LD 1+ and was wondering which opamp to try. Did you prefer Classic over Vivid when listening to Grados?
I have LD MKIII - ultimately think it is very similar to MKI. Tube rolling makes a huge difference though, I settled with CV4010 tubes in the end (from Watford tubes which I highly recommend if anyone is interested).

Jan 4, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #50,342 of 65,715
I have LD MKIII - ultimately think it is very similar to MKI. Tube rolling makes a huge difference though, I settled with CV4010 tubes in the end (from Watford tubes which I highly recommend if anyone is interested).

I really rate what I'm hearing from the LD1+. Plenty of power and resolving with the right op amp and tube. It's all a matter of taste but I find Mullard M8100 a bit too dark.

I also highly recommend the Burson opamps. There is an irrefutable change to sound with these.

Jan 4, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #50,343 of 65,715
Grado Hemp. ... I’ve noticed that something seems to be going on with the wood. It’s becoming white, as though it’s drying out. Is this a problem inherent to the hemp wood?

First thing I'd do is check the humidity level in your home or room and confirm it's at 50-55%. I read up on how hempwood is made and it uses a soy-based adhesive. So it's not as waster resistant as something like cocobolo which is so oily that it repels water. This would make me hesitate to consider any current and future products that use hempwood such as the RS1x/RS2x.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #50,344 of 65,715
First thing I'd do is check the humidity level in your home or room and confirm it's at 50-55%. I read up on how hempwood is made and it uses a soy-based adhesive. So it's not as waster resistant as something like cocobolo which is so oily that it repels water. This would make me hesitate to consider any current and future products that use hempwood such as the RS1x/RS2x.

That did look a bit like an adhesive product. Maybe very low humidity?

Jan 4, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #50,345 of 65,715
I really rate what I'm hearing from the LD1+. Plenty of power and resolving with the right op amp and tube. It's all a matter of taste but I find Mullard M8100 a bit too dark.

I also highly recommend the Burson opamps. There is an irrefutable change to sound with these.
Indeed, I do rate LD amps in general - though have been pretty tempted to try a Darkvoice / Xduo TA-26 (basically Darkvoice clone with more modern components). Seems we have similar audio taste :)

Jan 4, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #50,346 of 65,715
A little off topic but does the hybrid version of MkIII allow opamp rolling?

Jan 4, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #50,348 of 65,715
That did look a bit like an adhesive product. Maybe very low humidity?
Or maybe too high humidity and it's mold/mildew growing? Best to see what Grado says about it though. Waiting to see the response from @Heyyoudvd with them contacting support.

Jan 4, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #50,349 of 65,715
Or maybe too high humidity and it's mold/mildew growing? Best to see what Grado says about it though. Waiting to see the response from @Heyyoudvd with them contacting support.

Doesn't look like mold/mildew but agreed contact Grado, see what they say.

Jan 4, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #50,350 of 65,715
So I’ve got a bone to pick with my Grado Hemp.

I’ve posted here many times how much I love the Hemp, in terms of both sound and aesthetics, but I’ve noticed that something seems to be going on with the wood. It’s becoming white, as though it’s drying out. Is this a problem inherent to the hemp wood? Because These are less than a year old, and take a look at this photo:

A99E9F5C-2640-4E8A-B5DD-5EFD4345E235.jpeg

That shouldn’t be happening, right? Because I take immense care of these headphones. I’ve never even taken them outside, they’ve never been subjected to any weather conditions, and they simply sit on a hook attached the shelf in my office room. And I only bought them 8 or 9 months ago.

Given that I spent I believe $600 CAD on these, I’m extremely disappointed. My SR60 have held up for 20 years, but not even a year in and these far more expensive headphones already aren’t looking so great.
Mine are in pristine condition and I got them soon after launch. Did you use something to clean them? It looks like a solvent got in contact with the wood.

Jan 4, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #50,351 of 65,715
How do you like your Valhalla with Grado?
I think that the Valhalla II is great with the Grados that I have (RS-1x, GS3000e, PS2000e). Power / heft of delivery is not an issue given the Grados’ medium/high sensitivity. Upgrade tubes for the Valhalla II, Foton 6N6P and Tungsram E88CC, are clearly audible via the Grados…🎼😀

Jan 4, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #50,352 of 65,715
I think that the Valhalla II is great with the Grados that I have (RS-1x, GS3000e, PS2000e). Power / heft of delivery is not an issue given the Grados’ medium/high sensitivity. Upgrade tubes for the Valhalla II, Foton 6N6P and Tungsram E88CC, are clearly audible via the Grados…🎼😀
Maybe I should try one :)

Jan 4, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #50,353 of 65,715

I need to spend more time with it using my Grados but my impression was the technicalities were there but not the impact the LD1+ can provide. Yep Fotons are great. Using RFT ECC81s in the front.

Jan 4, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #50,354 of 65,715
Stevko, thanks for asking this question, and jonathan c for the info! I have a Valhalla2 and RS1-X coming this week - looking forward to the combo.

Jan 4, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #50,355 of 65,715
Stevko, thanks for asking this question, and jonathan c for the info! I have a Valhalla2 and RS1-X coming this week - looking forward to the combo.
Please go for the tube upgrade: Foton 6N6P in the rear (power tubes); Tungsram E88CC or RFT ECC81, w/ adapter, in the front (driver tubes). Your ears will thank your wallet…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back