Grado Fan Club!
Jan 5, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #50,372 of 66,159
Oh man, I should have purchased the RS2x instead of the RS1x :frowning2:
im not saying the hd800 or Utopia are less good, I just really get on the RS2x sound. but they do need the Xbass from ifi to really be versatile with any music.

I'll have to redo a complete listening session as my first session was with the F pads and I put the RS2x for sale. The bowl pads are back and the RS2x are not for sale anymore.

whats the major complaint you have about the RS1x? the bass? Is the mid and treble on the RS1x at least better then on the Hemp?

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #50,373 of 66,159
Have you had a chance to hear the SR325x? I was looking at The Hemp but I've heard its warmer, tonally, than the 325x and not sure how much this could be offset by pad rolling.
The Geekria G pads reduce the warmth. The official grado G pads go even further. They are also the most comfortable options. Overpriced but my favourite. It may even be too bright for some.

Shipibo pads are my second favourite overall but they add warmth so probably not for you.

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #50,374 of 66,159
im not saying the hd800 or Utopia are less good, I just really get on the RS2x sound. but they do need the Xbass from ifi to really be versatile with any music.

I'll have to redo a complete listening session as my first session was with the F pads and I put the RS2x for sale. The bowl pads are back and the RS2x are not for sale anymore.

whats the major complaint you have about the RS1x? the bass? Is the mid and treble on the RS1x at least better then on the Hemp?

I will probably order the RS2x from BayBloor in Toronto, but they will not be available until the end of January.

The RS1x are better than the Hemp technically. They have better mids, more air and more bite in the treble, they are more resolving and they have better soundstage and imaging. BUT, they are not engaging, punchy and fun like the Hemp. It's frustrating because on some albums they sound like the best headphones I have ever heard, but on others albums they sound like $50 headphones. I thought my Verite Closed were picky, but they are not picky at all compared with the RS1x..

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #50,375 of 66,159
I will probably order the RS2x from BayBloor in Toronto, but they will not be available until the end of January.

The RS1x are better than the Hemp technically. They have better mids, more air and more bite in the treble, they are more resolving and they have better soundstage and imaging. BUT, they are not engaging, punchy and fun like the Hemp. It's frustrating because on some albums they sound like the best headphones I have ever heard, but on others albums they sound like $50 headphones. I thought my Verite Closed were picky, but they are not picky at all compared with the RS1x..
I have found that the RS-1x, for whatever reason (new 50mm driver?), takes quite a while to break in. Out of the box, I found them airy, detailed and with a tendency to shrillness. They have really settled in after 100+ hours. I won’t repeat my posts on the RS-1x: just 🎼, ☑️, 👍. (I do not feel that this is ‘brain burn’: I rotate the use of my headphones frequently to avoid that.)

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #50,376 of 66,159
It's frustrating because on some albums they sound like the best headphones I have ever heard, but on others albums they sound like $50 headphones.
right? at first this was my exact sentiments
I could have said the same thing. on some material, the RS2x straight up annihilate the Utopia, HD800 or anything ive ever owned. then on some other material, they sound kinda bad.
RS2x are really bass light, more basslight then hd800, and lack true extension. but that open type of bass is very addictive and some bass eq really helps here

Let us know how the RS2x compares to the RS1x. the RS2x is not perfect, but what it nails it nails hard

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #50,377 of 66,159
I have found that the RS-1x, for whatever reason (new 50mm driver?), take quite a while to break in. Out of the box, I found them airy, detailed and with a tendency to shrillness. They have really settled in after 100+ hours. I won’t repeat my posts on the RS-1x: just 🎼, ☑️, 👍. (I do not feel that this is ‘brain burn’: I rotate the use of my headphones frequently to avoid that.)

I also thought the sound would change after 7 full days of burn-in, but unfortunately my initial impression hasn't changed. I came to the conclusion that the RS1x are too much specialized for me, and I'm hoping that the RS2x will be a better all rounder.

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #50,378 of 66,159
right? at first this was my exact sentiments
I could have said the same thing. on some material, the RS2x straight up annihilate the Utopia, HD800 or anything ive ever owned. then on some other material, they sound kinda bad.
RS2x are really bass light, more basslight then hd800, and lack true extension. but that open type of bass is very addictive and some bass eq really helps here

Let us know how the RS2x compares to the RS1x. the RS2x is not perfect, but what it nails it nails hard

I almost fear I will come to the same conclusion with the RS2x. Did you try the "tape mod" with your RS2x?

Jan 5, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #50,379 of 66,159
I almost fear I will come to the same conclusion with the RS2x. Did you try the "tape mod" with your RS2x?
I was just looking at the published measurements over at the other forum and damn the 2khz peak of the rs1 seem rough? the hemp by comprison is much flatter...
its a shame theres no published measurements of the RS2x yet...

I dont feel the need to tape mod since I use bass eq.
have you tried to EQ the RS1? the ifi amps with their anaolog Xbass go with the grado very well. worth a try for real. theres a zen can on canuck live

Jan 5, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #50,380 of 66,159
I was just looking at the published measurements over at the other forum and damn the 2khz peak of the rs1 seem rough? the hemp by comprison is much flatter...
its a shame theres no published measurements of the RS2x yet...

I dont feel the need to tape mod since I use bass eq.
have you tried to EQ the RS1? the ifi amps with their anaolog Xbass go with the grado very well. worth a try for real. theres a zen can on canuck live

The RS1x are borderline aggressive and very vivid. (Like Steve Guttenberg politely said in his review)

No I didn't try to EQ the RS1x. I only tried the F-pads, but I came back quickly to the stock L-pads because the F-pads are not working at all with the RS1x.

How's the mid-bass impact on the RS2x?

Jan 5, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #50,381 of 66,159
Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #50,382 of 66,159
I have found that the RS-1x, for whatever reason (new 50mm driver?), take quite a while to break in. Out of the box, I found them airy, detailed and with a tendency to shrillness. They have really settled in after 100+ hours. I won’t repeat my posts on the RS-1x: just 🎼, ☑️, 👍. (I do not feel that this is ‘brain burn’: I rotate the use of my headphones frequently to avoid that.)
I got mine today, and out of the box the were pretty terrible :) - they sounded just as you described. I remember my RS2e's took a while to break in.

Question about the Hemp - is it supposed to be perfectly smooth?

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #50,383 of 66,159
pretty weak. but fast. without eq, they lack extension

Oh boy, maybe I should keep my Hemp and move away from the Grado headphones.

Question about the Hemp - is it supposed to be perfectly smooth?

I think the Hemp is the only Grado headphones that I've been able to use with my Black Metal albums. So yes I think they are smooth :wink:

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #50,384 of 66,159
It's frustrating because on some albums they sound like the best headphones I have ever heard, but on others albums they sound like $50 headphones.
Doesn't sound like a headphone issue, but rather a recording issue instead.
This also shows that the RS1x is highly revealing of what is put into it, and its upstream gear so that in itself is a double edged sword, but the price you sometimes pay.

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #50,385 of 66,159
Doesn't sound like a headphone issue, but rather a recording issue instead.
This also shows that the RS1x is highly revealing of what is put into it, and its upstream gear so that in itself is a double edged sword, but the price you sometimes pay.

No, I'm talking about well produced Prog-Metal albums that sound great on my Verite Closed. And by the way I'm feeding them with a $2000 setup. My conclusion is that the RS1x are specialized headphones aimed toward classical, acoustic and jazz music. I'm not sure I would not recommend them outside of those genres of music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back