Grado Fan Club!
Dec 25, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #50,236 of 66,283
I have a question gradoheads....

I'm finding i can get my gh1 to sound different ie. brighter/darker/aggressive/more forward/laid back etc. depending on tubs and cables used.

Do I need anymore Grados? Is it really worth hunting down RS1, RS2e, MSpro?? Is it really worth it or am i getting enough of the differences to imitate other models? I haven't even pad rolled yet either....
I honestly think a big reason people collect Grado is each one feels like a little art piece. I know I want half of them for that reason.

Dec 25, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #50,237 of 66,283
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately the available budget does not allow me to go beyond the 125x. So the question remains the same: 80x or 125x ?

P.S. why 225 and not 325 ? :wink:
Are you planning to mod them or use them stock? If the former, just get the cheapest one as Stevo mentioned the parts are pretty similar.

If the latter, suggest you try them out, the tuning is slightly different on all 3 (60, 80 and 125).

Dec 26, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #50,238 of 66,283

I'm finding i can get my gh1 to sound different ie. brighter/darker/aggressive/more forward/laid back etc. depending on tubs and cables used.

Do I need anymore Grados? Is it really worth hunting down RS1, RS2e, MSpro?? Is it really worth it or am i getting enough of the differences to imitate other models? I haven't even pad rolled yet either....
You only need one. It is more like buying whisky.

Dec 26, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #50,239 of 66,283

So you want us to convince you not to spend any more money on Grados? In a 3300+ pages long thread? Mate... :gs1000smile:
I already have two and on the fence for the third Grado. Don't get me wrong I'll buy the next one just don't know what it is.... I'll probably stop when I have one from each series, that's how impressed I am with the sound, and I have / had TOTL headsets that cost 8x more than my Hemp or SR325, the difference is these have soul.
Have fun!

Dec 26, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #50,241 of 66,283
Don't listen to him, he already stopped and never looked back for the 4th time now :dt880smile:
Hard to resist.the new tricolor looks nice :)
Tested my rs2e some hours now.
Its great. More mellow and better lows.
Now I will say it is 20-30% better than my 225e.
For the price.225 is a steal. And all you need.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #50,243 of 66,283
Are you planning to mod them or use them stock? If the former, just get the cheapest one as Stevo mentioned the parts are pretty similar.

If the latter, suggest you try them out, the tuning is slightly different on all 3 (60, 80 and 125).

No mod. Unfortunately I can't compare them all .... so to choose which model to buy I'll roll the dice :smile:

Dec 26, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #50,244 of 66,283
Dec 26, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #50,245 of 66,283
I have the opportunity to buy a PS500 or a GS1000. Both used and in good condition. I can't test them.
I have a GS3000, RS2e and 325x.

Which would you choose for a possible purchase?
I have the PS500 and the GS1000 they both sound great, the GS1000 sounds a bit better, maybe 10-15% with the G-cush, I would say the GS1000 is a lighter can, and I think looks better, either one is a great choice.

PS500 is a bit more boomy and its sound stage isn't as wide, but depending on source, source material, and other factors you might not be able to tell them apart in a blind test...:beerchug:

Dec 26, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #50,246 of 66,283
I have the opportunity to buy a PS500 or a GS1000. Both used and in good condition. I can't test them.

PS500 by a wide margin. It'll give the most varied experience compared to what you already have. If you didn't have any other Grado I'd say the GS1000.

Dec 26, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #50,247 of 66,283

Assuming that you are talking about "e" models, I would try out the GS1000. I found the SR325e a bit bright for me. Then I tried the PS500e and found the brightness was all gone, but so was the fun.

PS: You already have a very nice little collection. :thumbsup:

Dec 26, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #50,248 of 66,283
Sorry, off topic side question here but since you mentioned vintage amps I wanted to ask…I have a mid-80’s Crown Straight Line & Power Line rack pre amp & power amp. my dad bought it new in the mid-80’s. I have it now and wonder if it needs a tune up or run through by a competent tech as it’s spent some time just sitting in closet unused. Any advice on what to look for in a business or person who could handle running through an 80’s old school rack stereo system? It works fine but it’s old enough it might benefit from a check up.

And it’s really fun to run the RS1x through that puppy! Just vinyl & cds now but once I finally decide on a dac I’ll stream through it too.

thanks
Hi RyanT42,
Sorry for the late reply. I was bed ridden for most of the past week with the flu and a major sinus infection. I’ve owned a couple of Crown Power Line Rack, seventies models in the past & yes, it’s worth having a competent audio technician look at it. Just go online and search for local audio technician repair service or similar terms and you can give ‘em a phone call and talk w/ them, ask questions pertaining to the Crown. If you’re able to find an experienced technician w/ older audio equipment, so much the better. Good luck to you.

Dec 27, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #50,249 of 66,283

You always need more Grados :)

Seriously though, if you’re happy with what you have I don’t think there is a need. I have a lot (Grados and HP’s in general) as I love exploring the differences between them, listening to the same piece of music on different ones to see what I prefer, what stands out on this one vs that one. With Grados in particular I also adore their aesthetic and, with the wooden ones, their smell (maybe that’s just me though :dt880smile:).

With the Whisky comment above, I gave up drinking three years ago (and used to collect Whisky) so all that money has been diverted to this hobby.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #50,250 of 66,283
I don't know how many of you folk are also in the Facebook Grado fan club, but I'm I've been convinced I need an x series, and increasingly feels like the RS2e X is the next addition!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back