Grado Fan Club!
Dec 29, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #50,267 of 66,176
If you can, try the RS-1x with G-cushions…🤩

What changes did you notice with G-cushion? I just bought RS1x, but my ears hit the grills with the stock pads. I've never had this happen with any other Grados before.
G-cushions would help, but it would be a $50 gamble if the sound changes too much.

Dec 29, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #50,268 of 66,176
Ebay
image.jpg

Dec 29, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #50,269 of 66,176
I have a few of these cases. £6.99 . They're good. I use them for my Sr60, Sr125e, Sr225e, and Rs2e with normal L Cush pads. I have the larger grado big square case for my PS 1000, as the G pads need room.

Dec 29, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #50,271 of 66,176
Sorry for the super long delay, I somehow missed your post & question. I just wanted to confirm which of the Grado amps you wanted to compare to the Gilmore Lite mk2?

Thanks,
Holiday Greetings,
Joe G.
I’m interested on how the Joseph Grado Signature HPA-1 compares to the Gilmore Lite km2 while driving grados. I have never heard one of the Grado amps so I’m curious about what kind of amp Grado has in mind for their headphones.

Dec 29, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #50,272 of 66,176
Hello. VERY infrequent poster here. Not really an "expert," but I do love good-sounding music.

I found some old headphones that I hadn't worn in years, An old SR80 and SR325i. I was thinking of getting them repaired by a Grado-certified technician, since they both are in dire need of repairs, like new cables and headbands. Currently using a Sennheiser HD599(which is amazing), but I just like to switch it up sometimes, spread the "abuse" between sets. And I remember being blown away by the sound quality way back when, so... :)

I'm just wondering if it's worth it to get these old Grados repaired. I know the SR325 is up to the "X" drivers now, meaning my 325i is more than a decade out of date. Is it still worth getting them fixed? Or is the sound difference negligible?

And lastly, are there any recommended alternative earpads to Grado's official ones? I can't say I'm a fan of their official earpads since they really hurt my ears and they crumble like cookies after a year or two. I'm eyeing some Geekria Grado pads on Amazon.

Hope to hear from someone soon, thanks! :)

Attachments

• SR325 ear wire.jpg
    SR325 ear wire.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • SR80.jpg
    SR80.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • SR325 broken wire.jpg
    SR325 broken wire.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Dec 29, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #50,273 of 66,176
Happy 11th birthday dear 'Grado Fan Club!'-thread, started Dec 29th 2010!

I've been away for a while. I did some searching here but didn't find a clear answer, so maybe someone could give me a short run-down of what the differences between the RS1e/RS2e and the RS1x/RS2x are?

Dec 29, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #50,274 of 66,176
What changes did you notice with G-cushion? I just bought RS1x, but my ears hit the grills with the stock pads. I've never had this happen with any other Grados before.
G-cushions would help, but it would be a $50 gamble if the sound changes too much.
There are things you can do regarding fit while still using stock pads. When I received the RS1x I felt like the clamping power was uncomfortable, and that my ears sometimes hit the grills too often. I did 2 things. I slightly and carefully put pressure on the headband flexing it out. I never bent it per se. The other thing I did was remember that Grado themselves suggests wearing the cups slightly lower than you would normally for either over ear, or on ear headphones. When worn that way they seem too low, but are actually much more comfortable AND it seems to have a positive impact on sound stage and general overall tonal balance throughout the sound spectrum.

I've tried these RS1x's as well as the RS1e's with G pads and notice a definite difference in sound (and a big improvement in comfort prior to making the adjustments mentioned above). Sound stage is bigger with the g pads, but the sound just doesn't seem as "smooth" and sublime to me. I prefer the stock pads.

As always, my opinions only. YMMV.

Good Luck!

Dec 29, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #50,275 of 66,176
I recently bought the GS1000e's and having spent more time with them I have a few problems.

Like another member had mentioned, the bass is somehow off/weird. To me, it sort of exists in a specific region, rather than have extension and depth.
The cable is entirely crap and way to unwieldy, especially when having to connect the 3.5mm adaptor cable and using with a dongle. I would modify them but I really don't want to void warranty and I'm still within my return period.

My question is... is there another headphone out there that has that incredible soundstage & imaging, detail & resolution, with some of that magical Grado sound (or even a more neutral but still engaging sound) that has some more natural and extensive bass?

I've been looking at the Audio Technica ATH-R70X, Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro, Shure SRH1540's.

My plan is to buy one of the above (or any other recommendation) and buy a lower-end Grado for fun.

Dec 29, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #50,276 of 66,176
Just taken delivery of the SR80x - my first Grado. I'm sufficiently impressed for the price and the sound signature is spot on for me!

Where would you guys recommend I go next for wider staging / better dynamic range but a similar tuning with a budget of <£500?

Dec 29, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #50,277 of 66,176
I recently bought the GS1000e's and having spent more time with them I have a few problems.

Like another member had mentioned, the bass is somehow off/weird. To me, it sort of exists in a specific region, rather than have extension and depth.
The cable is entirely crap and way to unwieldy, especially when having to connect the 3.5mm adaptor cable and using with a dongle. I would modify them but I really don't want to void warranty and I'm still within my return period.

My question is... is there another headphone out there that has that incredible soundstage & imaging, detail & resolution, with some of that magical Grado sound (or even a more neutral but still engaging sound) that has some more natural and extensive bass?

I've been looking at the Audio Technica ATH-R70X, Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro, Shure SRH1540's.

My plan is to buy one of the above (or any other recommendation) and buy a lower-end Grado for fun.
Sell gs1000 and buy 225e and bd DT1770 :wink:

Dec 29, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #50,278 of 66,176
Just taken delivery of the SR80x - my first Grado. I'm sufficiently impressed for the price and the sound signature is spot on for me!

Where would you guys recommend I go next for wider staging / better dynamic range but a similar tuning with a budget of <£500?
225 or 325 e/x :)

Dec 29, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #50,279 of 66,176
225 or 325 e/x :)

Any used market alternatives you'd recommend that might fall within that budget? Cheers for your help. Really enjoying these right now and quite excited to hear them bed in.

Dec 29, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #50,280 of 66,176
225e is a good buy.
Read rasmushorns review before buying.
If you go above the prestige series. The sound is only 10-30% better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back