Grado Fan Club!
Nov 5, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #49,291 of 65,633
I'm listening with the Scotch-Brite Heavy Duty stock L Pads before I swap to the Gs and the TTVJ Deluxe Flat Pads. Also have the S and HD414 on hand. I'm starting off with the typical tracks to level set. "Democracy" by the Lumineers and "Don't Drink the Water" by DMB. Down the rabbit hole quickly. Lots of background noise with pipes in my Mom's old house. I have the Vali 2+ @ 9am and it doesn't matter. The RS1x maintain the energy of the i/e series while taming the "ear bleed" some perceive. YMMV as I have Daredevil like hearing and love the detail.

Nov 5, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #49,292 of 65,633
Could you elaborate on RS1X being "nice improvement over the RS1e". How is the treble of the RS1x compare to RS1e or RS2e or any other RS1?
I ended up spending most of the day (minus Formula racing practice for this weekend’s race) listening to both the RS1x and RS1e. I used a HeadAmp Gilmore Lite mk2 with the optional Discreet Regulated Power Supply. I find their combo a good match for most of my phones and my Grados definitely like it.

I took turns listening to each with the same musical selections spending 15 - 30 minutes for each & then doing the same for the other. BTW, both phones have significant play time on them (200 hrs each) so break in was not an issue.

I found the vocals on the x were placed slightly back compared to the generally more forward e. The x was more neutral and natural sounding. On massed vocals the e started to sound a little bit splashy while the x proved to be more articulate with them, better placing them in the mix. String plucks & guitar 🎸 sounded great, a common Grado trait but very impressive here. I found the sound stage on the x to be more open and slightly wider.

The x has a more impactful and detailed bass, not boomy at all. The e was not with as much bass which did not integrate as well in the whole as the x. Cymbals sounded more true to life on the x.

I always found the RS1e to be an enjoyable listen and still consider it a good headphone but to my ears the RS1x out performs it across the board and establishes itself as must listen to anyone considering headphones in the $1000 price range. It is also a very good value.

My best advice would be to try to get a listen in or perhaps a loaner. New out the box they will sound good but definitely evolve after 50 to 100 hours and will sound better especially past 100 hours.

Of course these are my impressions and may not be the same as yours so hopefully you can get a chance to hear a fully broken in RS1x.

In the meantime I highly recommend them.

PS. I also have a pair of original Vintage RS1 phones that I cherish but they are currently on loan to a friend.

Have fun……

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #49,293 of 65,633
IMG_0696.jpeg

Nov 5, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #49,295 of 65,633
I ended up spending most of the day (minus Formula racing practice for this weekend’s race) listening to both the RS1x and RS1e. I used a HeadAmp Gilmore Lite mk2 with the optional Discreet Regulated Power Supply. I find their combo a good match for most of my phones and my Grados definitely like it.

I took turns listening to each with the same musical selections spending 15 - 30 minutes for each & then doing the same for the other. BTW, both phones have significant play time on them (200 hrs each) so break in was not an issue.

I found the vocals on the x were placed slightly back compared to the generally more forward e. The x was more neutral and natural sounding. On massed vocals the e started to sound a little bit splashy while the x proved to be more articulate with them, better placing them in the mix. String plucks & guitar 🎸 sounded great, a common Grado trait but very impressive here. I found the sound stage on the x to be more open and slightly wider.

The x has a more impactful and detailed bass, not boomy at all. The e was not with as much bass which did not integrate as well in the whole as the x. Cymbals sounded more true to life on the x.

I always found the RS1e to be an enjoyable listen and still consider it a good headphone but to my ears the RS1x out performs it across the board and establishes itself as must listen to anyone considering headphones in the $1000 price range. It is also a very good value.

My best advice would be to try to get a listen in or perhaps a loaner. New out the box they will sound good but definitely evolve after 50 to 100 hours and will sound better especially past 100 hours.

Of course these are my impressions and may not be the same as yours so hopefully you can get a chance to hear a fully broken in RS1x.

In the meantime I highly recommend them.

PS. I also have a pair of original vintage RS1 phones that I cherish but they are currently on loan to a friend.

Have fun……

Thanks ESL-1 for taking the time in your busy schedule to feed our curiosity.
I'm hearing you say that the upper mids on the rs1x is slightly pulled back compared to the more forward rs1e while the treble on the rs1x is more present than the rs1e.
Both sound like a good thing so far. I'm guessing the treble on the rs1x isn't elevated as on the level of the rs2e or rs1i but not as diminished like the rs1e.

Nov 6, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #49,297 of 65,633
I’m kind of surprised they gave up the mahogany. I always thought that’s what defined the Reference series and separated it from the Limited Editions and from the Statement series.

Does this mean they no longer use mahogany for anything?

My assumption was that they’d have some sort of hierarchy with wooden headphones, along the lines of pine -> maple -> hemp -> mahogany -> cocobolo. But this seems to throw a wrench in that.

Nov 6, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #49,298 of 65,633
I’m kind of surprised they gave up the mahogany. I always thought that’s what defined the Reference series and separated it from the Limited Editions and from the Statement series.

Does this mean they no longer use mahogany for anything?

My assumption was that they’d have some sort of hierarchy with wooden headphones, along the lines of pine -> maple -> hemp -> mahogany -> cocobolo. But this seems to throw a wrench in that.
Yeah, the new RSX seems more like a limited edition. More and more everything seems to be a departure from the old “this is the way we have always done it” to new creative experiments—“what if we did it this way”.

Nov 6, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #49,299 of 65,633
Yeah, the new RSX seems more like a limited edition. More and more everything seems to be a departure from the old “this is the way we have always done it” to new creative experiments—“what if we did it this way”.
Grado is always looking forward to what might improve performance in their designs. Other than limited editions all new series like the x models are designed to be in production for a good period of time.

Nov 6, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #49,300 of 65,633
Grado is always looking forward to what might improve performance in their designs. Other than limited editions all new series like the x models are designed to be in production for a good period of time.
The i series was released in 2007, the e series came out in 2014, and now we’re seeing the x series in 2021.

So if anyone loves Grado but the x drivers aren’t to their taste, just wait for the next revision in 2028. :p

Nov 6, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #49,303 of 65,633
Thanks ESL-1 for taking the time in your busy schedule to feed our curiosity.
I'm hearing you say that the upper mids on the rs1x is slightly pulled back compared to the more forward rs1e while the treble on the rs1x is more present than the rs1e.
Both sound like a good thing so far. I'm guessing the treble on the rs1x isn't elevated as on the level of the rs2e or rs1i but not as diminished like the rs1e.
I find the treble on the RS1x more refined, smoother sounding without losing it’s presence in the mix.
I feel that the RS1x is a very transparent headphone.

Nov 6, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #49,304 of 65,633
So if anyone loves Grado but the x drivers aren’t to their taste, just wait for the next revision in 2028. :p
We'll see. When Grado transitioned from i-drivers to e-drivers, it seemed the general consensus was that the RS2e was the best of the lot regardless of price. That's because the RS2e was the highest model that only had an incremental tweak. The PS500e/RS1e/GS1000e/PS1000e all had substantially different drivers than their predecessors: PS500 was virtually a rebadged HF2, and RS1i/GS1000i/PS1000 used 44mm drivers instead of 50mm. There were fans of the PS500e/RS1e/GS1000e/PS1000e but it wasn't total acclaim like the RS2e. That to me felt like a sign that Grado missed the mark with its experimentation. It wasn't until the PS2000e that Grado revamped their 50mm driver.

When the plastic Grados went from i to e, I don't recall anyone saying the i models were better. People said there was barely any difference, but perhaps the e had slightly more bass slam. Going from e to x seems to be a more significant difference, one that some people already don't agree with.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #49,305 of 65,633
We'll see. When Grado transitioned from i-drivers to e-drivers, it seemed the general consensus was that the RS2e was the best of the lot regardless of price. That's because the RS2e was the highest model that only had an incremental tweak. The PS500e/RS1e/GS1000e/PS1000e all had substantially different drivers than their predecessors: PS500 was virtually a rebadged HF2, and RS1i/GS1000i/PS1000 used 44mm drivers instead of 50mm. There were fans of the PS500e/RS1e/GS1000e/PS1000e but it wasn't total acclaim like the RS2e. That to me felt like a sign that Grado missed the mark with its experimentation. It wasn't until the PS2000e that Grado revamped their 50mm driver.

When the plastic Grados went from i to e, I don't recall anyone saying the i models were better. People said there was barely any difference, but perhaps the e had slightly more bass slam. Going from e to x seems to be a more significant difference, one that some people already don't agree with.
Prestige X series might be a side step rather than an upgrade for some. Don’t know about RS2 but for RS1 the X sounds like a definite upgrade from e.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back