Grado Fan Club!
Aug 9, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #48,331 of 65,693
I want to sell my Grado SR325is, and replace them with GradoSR325X, which I never listened to. Is that a good move?
I would keep the sr325i and get sr325x :)
They will both complement each other. If you were to listen to a guitar riff, with the 325i it would sound thinner but with more edge and bite because it would have more treble while with 325x more thicker because it would have more mid/upper bass.
It would give you two unique but enjoyable presentations of your music.
Example, I love the Rs2e for vocals (more mid bass than rs1i) but for guitar solos ( like comfortably numb) there is nothing like the rs1i (with its treble) when it comes to making the guitar solos soar and scream!

edit: I guess I missed the part that you never listen to the 325i. :)

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #48,332 of 65,693
Not a bad way to start my holidays with some home listening….

- Lotoo Paw 6000
- Schiit Vali 2
- Hemp

Attachments

• IMG_1806.JPG
    IMG_1806.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Aug 10, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #48,333 of 65,693
I'm a Grado newbie... I went straight for the Hemps which, from reading a lot of this thread, suggests it's a divergence from traditional Grado. All I can say is I adore the Hemps (with Geekria G pads) and I'm even warming to the charm of the ridiculous cable (got it non-braided). To hear that they are warmer than the traditional grado makes me almost afraid to hear how much brighter the OGs could be.

Now I'm intrigued by the X series. I've read some opinions here about hemps Vs 325x. I'd be interested to read more if anyone has a view not already shared. In short I'm wondering whether a swap is in order (although I think it's unlikely as I live the uniqueness of the Hemp's construction) and the sound is lovely.

I'm also now looking at either the Sr60x or sr80x. Has anyone here been able to compare the two and can share any insights? And how do they compare for sound Vs previous series. I'm guessing the X is warmer too with the new drivers?

Lastly, I'm in London UK. If anyone knows of anywhere to audition grados here please send deeeeeets!

Aug 10, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #48,334 of 65,693
I'm a Grado newbie... I went straight for the Hemps which, from reading a lot of this thread, suggests it's a divergence from traditional Grado. All I can say is I adore the Hemps (with Geekria G pads) and I'm even warming to the charm of the ridiculous cable (got it non-braided). To hear that they are warmer than the traditional grado makes me almost afraid to hear how much brighter the OGs could be.

Now I'm intrigued by the X series. I've read some opinions here about hemps Vs 325x. I'd be interested to read more if anyone has a view not already shared. In short I'm wondering whether a swap is in order (although I think it's unlikely as I live the uniqueness of the Hemp's construction) and the sound is lovely.

I'm also now looking at either the Sr60x or sr80x. Has anyone here been able to compare the two and can share any insights? And how do they compare for sound Vs previous series. I'm guessing the X is warmer too with the new drivers?

Lastly, I'm in London UK. If anyone knows of anywhere to audition grados here please send deeeeeets!
The X Grados are more alike than different to the Hemps. It's not really worth buying more IMHO, unless you like the idea of collecting lots of different headphones that look slightly different.

Aug 10, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #48,335 of 65,693
The X Grados are more alike than different to the Hemps. It's not really worth buying more IMHO, unless you like the idea of collecting lots of different headphones that look slightly different.
Thanks - and no, there needs to be a sound / experience difference. I imagine the sr60x to be wide and smooth sounding but somehow different to the Hemps... my imagination gets carried away. Thanks for the reality check :)

Aug 10, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #48,337 of 65,693

Hi I'm sure I spotted a Sr80x today on ebay .uk for about £100. Get them and keep the Hemps.

Aug 10, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #48,338 of 65,693
I really love these old headphones. I think they are at least 10 years old and I've had them for about 4 years. They are a bit beaten up but still sound great. Tomorrow a package with Sennheiser HD660s will arrive. But I doubt they can dethrone the old king, but we'll see.

Attachments

• DSC_0203 1.JPG
    DSC_0203 1.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
Aug 10, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #48,339 of 65,693
I really love these old headphones. I think they are at least 10 years old and I've had them for about 4 years. They are a bit beaten up but still sound great. Tomorrow a package with Sennheiser HD660s will arrive. But I doubt they can dethrone the old king, but we'll see.
Very nice. Is that a Modi in that Schiit stack? If so, what generation is it?

Aug 10, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #48,341 of 65,693
The 660's are VERY different from Grado's. I like them now and again when I need to do a "re-set". They're not a favourite, but they certainly have their space.

Aug 10, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #48,342 of 65,693
You sure?
Trust in your experience, but I remember buying the 325e. Had a 225e for minutes, 4 or 5 songs, liked it and than switched to the 325. Hit me like a hammer.
The signature was pretty familiar, but soundstage, resolution, mostly upper mids and highs were hearable different from first note.
Upper bass/lowest mids were a little less, let‘s say pronounced. By a touch.
The 2e then, years later, kept most of the higher resolution, but moved the sounding back to the middle, maybe a touch more to lower mids. It‘s not appearing louder, no emphasis, just separates the instruments and voices better in that frequency range. The highs are slightly more silky, really a touch less loud. The difference between RS325e and RS2e appears lesser than it appeared between SR225e and SR325e …to me. In short:
SR225e - more punchy than:
SR325e - higher resolution and by that wider soundstage
RS2e - added a touch of warmth. (It‘s the most balanced Grado I heard so far.)
Too bad my dealer still has a storeroom full of ‘e‘s, ok… a cupboard.
(And no more limiteds in there…)
Can‘t hardly wait pesting my dealer with extensive hearing sessions on the ‘x‘es.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #48,343 of 65,693
You sure?
Trust in your experience, but I remember buying the 325e. Had a 225e for minutes, 4 or 5 songs, liked it and than switched to the 325. Hit me like a hammer.
The signature was pretty familiar, but soundstage, resolution, mostly upper mids and highs were hearable different from first note.
Upper bass/lowest mids were a little less, let‘s say pronounced. By a touch.
The 2e then, years later, kept most of the higher resolution, but moved the sounding back to the middle, maybe a touch more to lower mids. It‘s not appearing louder, no emphasis, just separates the instruments and voices better in that frequency range. The highs are slightly more silky, really a touch less loud. The difference between RS325e and RS2e appears lesser than it appeared between SR225e and SR325e …to me. In short:
SR225e - more punchy than:
SR325e - higher resolution and by that wider soundstage
RS2e - added a touch of warmth. (It‘s the most balanced Grado I heard so far.)
Too bad my dealer still has a storeroom full of ‘e‘s, ok… a cupboard.
(And no more limiteds in there…)
Can‘t hardly wait pesting my dealer with extensive hearing sessions on the ‘x‘es.
325x is drastically different than these. It's a bassy warm (or even dark) headphone now.

Aug 11, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #48,344 of 65,693

Congrats on the Hemps! I too have been somewhat befuddled by the idea that they are a "warm" Grado or the "non Grado sounding Grado". They sound like Grados with more bass and slightly rolled off upper treble. While they sound pretty balanced (more so than many a Grado), I would say that they're definitely on the bright side of neutral, even more so than my Beyerdynamic T1s, which compared to something like my HD600s, are quite tilted up in the higher frequencies. This being said, I LOVE my Hemps. They just make music in the funnest way. I always enjoy them no matter what I'm listening to. So, great first Grado purchase!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back