Grado Fan Club!
Jul 3, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #48,001 of 65,787
PS500e have arrived , they are in superb condition and are superb looking . I've only had a quick listen with the B.A Hybrid pads whilst using the same EQ I use for my RS1e .
So under the exact same listening conditions , initial impressions are that the PS500e sound brighter & have less bass depth than the RS1e .
The PS500e also have that metallic sparkle that the SR325e has .

Yet they sound incredible and are a totally different beast all together than the RS1e , like I said I've only had about an hour with them but will be using them solid for the next few weeks to really understand their character.
Yeah, the PS500e is superb. If the RS1e has more bass than the 500, it must be approaching "basshead" territory (yeah, that's a stretch, I know!!). I love my PS500e with the Verver L shape pads -- the contain and deepen the sound just a bit compared to the stock pads.

Jul 3, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #48,002 of 65,787
Jul 3, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #48,003 of 65,787
Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to hear any of the x series, but I may have the opportunity to hear the 325x (in home) tomorrow.
I'm more interested in comparing it to my 325is with both, L & TTVJ F flats for a fair comparison. If all works out I will compare the 325x to my GH1 as well. Keep in mind my GH1 is one of my favorite Grado headphones and I use it exclusively with Grado G cushions, but I will use the L & TTVJ Flats for the comparison against the GH1 as well.
So, it's not looking good for the comparison between the 325x, 325is & GH1 for this weekend.
This is in the near future, though, for sure.

Jul 3, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #48,004 of 65,787
BTW, I saw a post that thought the new x series braided wire was heavier than the previous non braided wire.

I have a couple of the models with the new wire and it does not feel any heavier at all. I like the look of the braided and the protection too.

Impressed with the new series.

Jul 3, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #48,006 of 65,787
Yeah, the PS500e is superb. If the RS1e has more bass than the 500, it must be approaching "basshead" territory (yeah, that's a stretch, I know!!). I love my PS500e with the Verver L shape pads -- the contain and deepen the sound just a bit compared to the stock pads.
If the RS1e has more bass than the 500
I said the RS1e has more bass depth , meaning it digs deeper . The ps500e has more of a bass you can hear though , if you know what I mean.
I believe the frequency response of the PS500e is 14 - 29 , yet the RS1e is 12 - 30 , so dynamically the RS1e is more capable of digging deeper .
By EQ'ing the RS1e to my likening I swear it's the best Grado I've ever heard.

Oddly enough the PS500e is the first Grado I've ever heard where the highs actually offended me , I have had to eq some of the top end away . How ironic as this is the Grado that I always read reports that it was rolled off at the top end .
But it does have some beautiful bass , if only it digged a little deeper .

Maybe I've just adapted to the warmer deeper RS1e voice though.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #48,007 of 65,787
I have had good luck with buying a set of vintage RS1 with an RA headamp. Didn`t expect anything from the RA after seeing pictures of the inside, but price was like headphones only. Now I did some listening with my sommer-set and compared the RA in the following combination: Roon NUCi7- ifi iUSB3-ifi iDSD nano - ifi iCAN / RA or Woo WA11. I used Grado headphones only, so my impressions might be different with more demanding headphones.
The iCAN was quickly out of the race even if I was very content with it since a long time. In direct comparison I missed space and naturalness. The RA gives me this feeling of „being there“. The mids are more direct than with the WA11 and - to my surprise - the dynamic is very satisfying. The WA11 is maybe more neutral all over the spectrum and gives bass and heights the same value and sound live too, but with the Grado it`s more being on stage. Vocals are closer than with the Woo.

Jul 3, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #48,008 of 65,787
At the moment I'd say the PS500e is a serious upgrade from the 325e . The PS500e reminds me so much of the SR325e this is why I'm relating the two , it's like the mature bigger brother though.
PS500e has that metallic sparkle I loved in the 325e yet the 500e also has that touch of smoothness I've only heard in the woodies.
It digs deeper than the 325e & has a similar bass presence (slightly more) , also a bit brighter than the 325e , but nothing a touch of eq couldn't sort out.
Interestingly the 500e is also much more forgiving on poor recordings than the 325e.
I'm really impressed with the full bodied voice that the wood & aluminium provide , it is the best of both worlds .

I'm only a couple of days into my listening of the 500e , but I like what I hear , it reminds me of why I use to love the 325e so much , but it also provides the extra refinement I always wanted / craved from the 325e , which I've only found in woodies .

I don't think the 500e is as smooth as the RS series though , it's not as analytical , but nor do I think it was designed to be .
But what it is , is a meaty full bodied musical beast , if you love rock , metal & edm this is the Grado you want.

If anyone is going to buy a 325 , I suggest pay a bit more and go straight to the 500e .

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #48,009 of 65,787
So I received an unexpected surprise for my listening pleasure tonight.
After getting acquainted I'll post some brief impressions, as well as comparisons to the 325is & GH1.

IMG_0207.jpeg

IMG_0208.jpeg

IMG_0205.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0208.jpeg
    IMG_0208.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Jul 3, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #48,010 of 65,787
@joseph69 I wish I heard the GH1 , in all honesty I've never heard any of the GH series , but the GH1 caught my eye more than any others in that series . It seems the GH2 took all the glory , yet I remember the buzz surrounding the GH1 , then it fizzled out.

Jul 3, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #48,011 of 65,787
@joseph69 I wish I heard the GH1 , in all honesty I've never heard any of the GH series , but the GH1 caught my eye more than any others in that series . It seems the GH2 took all the glory , yet I remember the buzz surrounding the GH1 , then it fizzled out.
They're the one Grado I'll never sell. To me they're more collectible, and sound superb. I feel that Grado releases too many 'limited edition' models, in my opinion, which makes them less, well, limited.

Jul 3, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #48,012 of 65,787
The GH1 is a very neutral sounding and an amazing headphone too my ears.
Both, the GH1 & GH2 are my favorite Grado headphones w/Grado G cushions.
Unfortunately, I've never heard either, the PS500/e which I'd probably enjoy.

Jul 3, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #48,013 of 65,787
For the Canucks on the board, there is a set of GH2's on CAM.

Jul 4, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #48,015 of 65,787
Hmm, have you heard a GH4?
Yes, but I think more than a year ago. Not impress me, so I don't really remember how it sound.
Or the GH1?
Yes, I remembered this one as my personal favourite until GH2 released. GH2 wins my heart by sounding smoother, sweeter and more relax but still in Grado's house sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back