Grado Fan Club!
Jun 6, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #47,761 of 65,629
My first suggestion would be Hemp. Then 325X.

For build, based on housing and headband quality, actually Sundara is better than SR325X. Sundara has more premium feels, 325X is more like a simple handmade product that easy to repair/assemble when need to service, which is a good thing.
Grados simply design don’t need repair.

Meze 99 is easy to repair.I like this design.
Anyone can repair them

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #47,762 of 65,629
This makes me wonder whether Grado will refresh the GS2000e. It could be argued that the GS2000e was worse than the GS1000e because it had an even greater treble spike. It lasted just 2 years as the wooden flagship until the GS3000e came out. As someone who bought the GS2000e at full retail price near its launch date, I was a bit bummed that at stock, it just couldn't handle certain tracks that the GS1000i could without making me wince.
I really get what you mean about the GS2ke. For me they still have a place in my collection, especially as I acquired more Grados to my collection:) But for quiet acoustic classical guitar, they do really well...

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #47,763 of 65,629
Personally, I find them sound outstanding. The reason I never recommend someone “should buy” a headphone I like/ love is based on two factors. The first being that we have different tastes and the second being that we hear differently. Again, personally, there are some headphones which I don’t see myself parting with. The GS3000e is one of them.
Excellent post and definitely a truism. As to the GS3000e, I also consider mine a keeper along with the PS2000e.

enjoy the ride…..

Jun 6, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #47,764 of 65,629
Personally, I find their sound outstanding. The reason I never recommend someone “should buy” a headphone I like/ love is based on two factors. The first being that we have different tastes and the second being that we hear differently. Again, personally, there are some headphones which I don’t see myself parting with. The GS3000e is one of them.
As well as us all having different gear too.

Jun 7, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #47,765 of 65,629
hello Grado fanclub, please advice me. I own a 1st generation SR80 and I resently upgraded to Sennheiser HD560S and Beyerdynamics DT 250-250 ohm.

When I go back to my Grado I get a headache after a while. So I think it´s time to retire this Grado. I listen mostly to blues records, lots of old stuff but also some new recordings. My other prefered music style is dub-techno, like Basic Channel, Maurizio, Deepchord, etc.

What could be a replacement for the SR80 if I still want to listen to the Grado sound, but not with a weak bass and much treble? If that is possible with Grado? I read a lot about the SR325x, that one looks promising, and 400 euro is my maximum budget, and for this amount I have to wait for a few months. Hifiman Sundara is a headphone that also looks promising, but I asume the build quality of a Grado is better than Hifiman.

thanks in advance!

I think that there is a consensus that the PS500e has the strongest bass of any sub $1000. Grado.
And personally, I think it's true based on the Grado's I've owned or heard -
(which are the SR80, 125, 225e, 325i, 325e, 325x, GH1, GH4, RS2i, RS2e, RS1i, RS1e).
And IMO they're superb headphones in any event.

The RS1i also had quite solid and present bass, but they're out of production.

Finally, the Hemp are getting loads of positive reviews with much emphasis on
what's perceived as a "better" bass response than previous Grado's.
I've not heard them so cannot comment.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #47,766 of 65,629
I noticed that Grado corrected the impedance on the new X series.

Upon release, 4OurEars had the drivers listed as 38 ohms like The Hemp, but Grado’s own site continued to list them all as 32 ohms like the old drivers, which led to a lot of confusion. Well, it looks like they updated it and now they all say 38 ohms. I think that removes any doubt that these are Hemp drivers.

Jun 7, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #47,767 of 65,629
I think that there is a consensus that the PS500e has the strongest bass of any sub $1000. Grado.
And personally, I think it's true based on the Grado's I've owned or heard -
(which are the SR80, 125, 225e, 325i, 325e, 325x, GH1, GH4, RS2i, RS2e, RS1i, RS1e).
And IMO they're superb headphones in any event.

The RS1i also had quite solid and present bass, but they're out of production.

Finally, the Hemp are getting loads of positive reviews with much emphasis on
what's perceived as a "better" bass response than previous Grado's.
I've not heard them so cannot comment.
Thanks! I will try that one too. I have to stretch my budget for the PS500e or a Hemp. I have to wait untill december, 13th month of salary. The waiting phase is a big part of the excitement so no problem.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #47,768 of 65,629
Thanks! I will try that one too. I have to stretch my budget for the PS500e or a Hemp. I have to wait untill december, 13th month of salary. The waiting phase is a big part of the excitement so no problem.

Well from now till December in the world of headphones - a massive amount of change can and probably will occur.

One little part of it I think will be a PS500x to replace the current PS500e..

I'm very much looking forward to hearing most, probably not all, of the new x series.
So far I'm in for the 325x. I also want to hear the RS1X, if they make it to replace the e version
which never quite caught on in the Grado community.

I suggest you keep your eyes out for price breaks maybe/maybe not from Grado, but
the word is there have been some very attractive deals on eBay recently.

Jun 7, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #47,769 of 65,629
SR325X with flat pad, produce forward, energetic, and dense full body sound with plenty of punchy character. Bass drum is so fun here, combine with forward vocal and electric guitar with satisfying bite! I never liked the 325 line up (from non-i, i, and e), but 325X could be the sweetest spot of Grado line up right now.
is grado sr325x less sibilance and more forgiving than grado sre325e?!

Jun 7, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #47,771 of 65,629
Received my g pads today. I have said, everyone's head is different. Ears are different. Auditory nerves and psychoacoustic perception is different. But I am puzzled by the amount negative reaction the combination of these pads and the SR series. It does change the soundstange, it alters the bass response (but there is still plenty), pad tweaks are the bread and butter of the Grado hobbbyist but I find it all quite positive on both my vented SR80e and stock SR225x. I think it is a bit of a rip at $45 but still worth the investment. I think these are now the most comfortable circumaural headphones I have ever had and they sound great to me. YMMV.

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #47,772 of 65,629
I'm waiting for a 500e to come up on eBay for a decent deal , patience is key. Please let us know your results from comparing it to the RS2e.
Enjoy
So I've a whole week with the PS500e vs. RS2e, and to me the 500 is a good step up over the RS2e. I'm using the stock Grado L pads on both to make it even, and quick switching of phones on very familiar and robust music leaves the RS2e sounding a bit flat compared to the 500e. There is just another level of realism and image accuracy with the 500. And a fair bit more both bass extension and heft. Live music with stage mics gives the best result in instrument placement and separation. Now, I'm not talking huge differences -- some people might not hear much difference, and the RS2e is still a fantastic phone. But, I'll likely stick with the PS500e. I can't imagine what the PS2K sounds like!!

Keep your eyes open for a very nice RS2e in the classifieds soon!!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #47,773 of 65,629
So I've a whole week with the PS500e vs. RS2e, and to me the 500 is a good step up over the RS2e. I'm using the stock Grado L pads on both to make it even, and quick switching of phones on very familiar and robust music leaves the RS2e sounding a bit flat compared to the 500e. There is just another level of realism and image accuracy with the 500. And a fair bit more both bass extension and heft. Live music with stage mics gives the best result in instrument placement and separation. Now, I'm not talking huge differences -- some people might not hear much difference, and the RS2e is still a fantastic phone. But, I'll likely stick with the PS500e. I can't imagine what the PS2K sounds like!!

Keep your eyes open for a very nice RS2e in the classifieds soon!!

I fully agree, the PS500e sound more fully rounded. As always it does depend on the sound material. For example Billie Eilish songs are a little overwhelming with the PS500e, i prefer the RS2e for that. So as long as you are not into modern music with fat basses the PS500e is the way to go.

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #47,774 of 65,629
I've owned several Grado's and currently own the Hemp - which I love. But I also need a set of closed-back headphones for the sound isolation......... but I hate the typical claustrophobic sound from most of the ones I've tried. So, are there any decent closed-back cans out there with that lovely Grado-esque soundstage and signature?

If this isn't the thread for this then let me know and I'll delete this. Thanks

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #47,775 of 65,629
I've owned several Grado's and currently own the Hemp - which I love. But I also need a set of closed-back headphones for the sound isolation......... but I hate the typical claustrophobic sound from most of the ones I've tried. So, are there any decent closed-back cans out there with that lovely Grado-esque soundstage and signature?

If this isn't the thread for this then let me know and I'll delete this. Thanks
All I can say to you, that after trying several closed-backs I found the Ether Flow C 1.1 the best (for me). It’s no Grado, but it has speed and life in it. My two cents…

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back