Grado Fan Club!
Jun 8, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #47,776 of 65,651
Man, flashbacks to when I first was hooked on my GW100 and looking for a new one. I literally ready EVERY page of this thread before I bought my GH2s and it was the toughest decision.. RS2e or a used (but great condition GH2). Finally found a great price on the GH2 on eBay and snagged it. I always had the PS500e in the back of my mind because I love the looks and people say it's pretty damn energetic so I'd love one, but not sure if I should hold out for a PS500x if that's actually gonna be a thing.

I already have more headphones than I can store on my desk (which is still a paltry amount compared to some of you ha), but VERY interested in the PS500e/x

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #47,779 of 65,651
I've owned several Grado's and currently own the Hemp - which I love. But I also need a set of closed-back headphones for the sound isolation......... but I hate the typical claustrophobic sound from most of the ones I've tried. So, are there any decent closed-back cans out there with that lovely Grado-esque soundstage and signature?

If this isn't the thread for this then let me know and I'll delete this. Thanks
DT1770

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #47,780 of 65,651
I fully agree, the PS500e sound more fully rounded. As always it does depend on the sound material. For example Billie Eilish songs are a little overwhelming with the PS500e, i prefer the RS2e for that. So as long as you are not into modern music with fat basses the PS500e is the way to go.
I will also say this about the PS500e -- it is the first Grado that I really hear the difference between different pads. I have some softer knock-off L pads that slightly change the sound vs the Grado L pad. And putting the knock-off G pads on the PS500e really changes the sound. The energy really drops, everything smooths out and the bass becomes "fuzzier", less defined. I hadn't noticed that much difference in my pad swapping with the 325e, do notice it a bit with the RS2e, but it's really pronounced with the 500e.

Thank goodness the astronomical price of the PS2000e keeps me from any temptation to try it!!

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #47,781 of 65,651
Haven't heard the 1770, but similar to the 990, at 250 ohms you won't get to its potential without an amp.

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #47,783 of 65,651
After many years I decided to re-register to this forum. Got my new SR60X that just had been delivered tonight. Had my OG SR60 for the last 17 years (bought after tons of research on this very forum) and they had seen better days. The cable broke and it sat for the last few years, been meaning to replace it but haven’t compelled to do so until I saw Grado brought out the X series with the new braided cable. Gave me an excuse to finally hit that “buy now” button.

I’m really liking this new 60X as I’m listening at this moment. I would have a better comparison had my 60 is fully functional, but first impressions on the 60X is wider soundstage and smoother treble. Hopefully the braided cable will last a bit longer but these are strictly for home listening. I’ll have to get the 60 fixed, sell it and get me the 325X next.

Attachments

• D0A1D706-5921-4561-AE90-5D4CACB26819.jpeg
    D0A1D706-5921-4561-AE90-5D4CACB26819.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Jun 9, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #47,784 of 65,651
I've owned several Grado's and currntly own the Hemp - which I love. But I also need a set of closed-back headphones for the sound isolation......... but I hate the typical claustrophobic sound from most of the ones I've tried. So, are there any decent closed-back cans out there with that lovely Grado-esque soundstage and signature?

If this isn't the thread for this then let me know and I'll delete this. Thanks

The Final Sonorous III is currently on sale at Amazon and I bought one and received it 2 days ago. I find the Sonorous III very good in instrument separation and sound stage, and with very little reverb effect typically found in closed back headphones. Keep in mind that I own many good headphones like the LCD-XC, T5p and Signature Pro. I wonder why the Sonorous III is not more popular, perhaps just because it is 2nd from the bottom in the Sonorous line-up.

I like the Sonorous III so much that I wonder if I should sell my HF3 (just yesterday). The Sonorous III just has this wonderful little boom to its sound like it has a built-in tube amp, without lacking in dynamic, very tasteful!

Jun 9, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #47,786 of 65,651
The Final Sonorous III is currently on sale at Amazon and I bought one and received it 2 days ago. I find the Sonorous III very good in instrument separation and sound stage, and with very little reverb effect typically found in closed back headphones. Keep in mind that I own many good headphones like the LCD-XC, T5p and Signature Pro. I wonder why the Sonorous III is not more popular, perhaps just because it is 2nd from the bottom in the Sonorous line-up.

I like the Sonorous III so much that I wonder if I should sell my HF3 (just yesterday). The Sonorous III just has this wonderful little boom to its sound like it has a built-in tube amp, without lacking in dynamic, very tasteful!
I have both a Sonorous II and VI which I love. They're both definitely compatible with the Grado vibe; forward mids and treble with sufficient bass. I get why a Grado fan would be into them, as I am.

Other than sound, though, they're about as different as can be. A Sonorous is a hulking, black, plastic,
beast. An HF3 is a dainty lightweight light colored woody open back.

Seems like there's room for both in one's stable. 😁

Jun 9, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #47,787 of 65,651
Some very nice looking Beautiful Audio Pads (Hybrid) arrived at my home this morning . I've only given them a few minutes of listening time on my RS1e so far but these things sound very nice , also the comfort is way beyond anything I've experienced with any Grado pads , just for the record I've never tried genuine G-Cush.
Due to my Hifiman Ananda arriving yesterday I'm now torn between two new toys , help :L3000:

Attachments

• 20210609_112810.jpg
    20210609_112810.jpg
    628.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #47,788 of 65,651
Have anyone tried the S Cushion YAXI PAD on their 325? The pads says it supports SR60e, 80e, 125e. Do they use the same cup size?
Nearly all Grado's have the same cup size for pads -- except the RS1e, GS1-2-3000e, and PS1000e. If you like the purple, you should also look for the Sennheiser 414 yellow pads. They fit Grado's and many people love them.

Jun 10, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #47,789 of 65,651
Have anyone tried the S Cushion YAXI PAD on their 325?
325e or the new 325X? Because the 325X cups should be a little bit bigger then the old 325e cups (flat pads vs. cushion pads).

SR80e = 54,2 mm
Hemp = 57,7 mm

Pictures from a SR80e with custom cups and flat pads. The purple YAXI pads would complete the look :kissing_heart:

l1.jpg
l2.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #47,790 of 65,651
Hey guys!

Im looking to get a pair of Grados but im not sure what to get. Im thinking about the sr80x or the sr125x. Is there a sound signature difference or just more of the same with the 80x vs 125x? Im really not sure what to get and i cant audition them before i buy. All tips and comments are very welcome regarding this since i cant really find a comparison between them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back